Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Options without Biology?

Options
  • 20-09-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi I am in my Leaving Certificate, I am doing Chemisty Physics and DCG as my choice subjects I didnt decide until recently that I would be interested in Medicine.

What are my options in terms of routes into Medicine other than Ireland seeing as I dont have biology?

I cant see myself getting a high enough combined score for the Irish Med schools.

any and all wacky entrance routes welcome :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

mmcinerney wrote: »
    What are my options in terms of routes into Medicine other than Ireland seeing as I dont have biology?

Sidenote: You don't need LC biology to do medicine in Ireland.

2 Lab sciences (one of which must be chemistry for most places) will satisfy the requirements. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

Albection wrote: »
    Sidenote: You don't need LC biology to do medicine in Ireland.

2 Lab sciences (one of which must be chemistry for most places) will satisfy the requirements. :D

Thanks for that I was thinking I wouldn't need it here but

I just don't know if I am capable of getting the necessary combined points so I was looking for other options if cant reach 740 ish points :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

mmcinerney wrote: »
    Thanks for that I was thinking I wouldn't need it here but

I just don't know if I am capable of getting the necessary combined points so I was looking for other options if cant reach 740 ish points :(

Seeing as you're currently only in LC, I think the best course of action is putting an extreme effort into trying to make that work for you.

You can go the less direct routes later, but you don't know that this won't work unless you try.

You do have plenty of time to assess other options if firing straight for it is less than successful.

The HPAT isn't nice but neither is it awful. If you do a good bit of practice for it, you can sit it quite comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You'll be sound, what's important is getting the 550 in the leaving cert. I thought I got about 440 in my LC and was all set to repeat. Results day came around I got 4 As in 4 science subjects, scored 731 this year and currently studying the Hpat to repeat it (it's a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the LC).

With that subject choice you can definitely get the 550, you won't believe how easy it is to get As in subjects like science and DCG. Learn from the marking schemes.

As stated above a lack of Biology will make no difference, you have two lab sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

You'll be sound, what's important is getting the 550 in the leaving cert. I thought I got about 440 in my LC and was all set to repeat. Results day came around I got 4 As in 4 science subjects, scored 731 this year and currently studying the Hpat to repeat it (it's a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the LC).

With that subject choice you can definitely get the 550, you won't believe how easy it is to get As in subjects like science and DCG. Learn from the marking schemes.

As stated above a lack of Biology will make no difference, you have two lab sciences.

Thanks :) makes everything look a bit happier when you put it like that. I suppose I better knuckle down so :)

just did a HPAT prep test online god there head wrecking

• Advertisement
Advertisement