Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we about to start using nuclear power from the UK?

• 20-09-2012 9:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0920/interconnector-eirgrid-energy.html
    RTE wrote:
    The interconnector is around 260 kilometres in length and has the capacity to carry 500 megawatts of electricity between Ireland and Britain, and enough energy to power 300,000 homes.

It is the largest single piece of energy infrastructure to be built here since the Ardnacrusha Hydroelectric power station was opened in 1929.
    It will allow electricity to be bought and sold between the two countries.
    Eirgrid, which was in charge of delivering the project, said it had come in on time and below its €600m budget.

The semi-state company said the connector will help maintain the security of supply and encourage the development of renewable energy sources here.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny is expected to attend today’s official opening ceremony, with the interconnector beginning commercial operations on 1 October.

t;dr= A energy interconnector has been built between Ireland and the UK, allowing us to sell or buy excess energy produced by our energy grid. We can buy electricity from the UK now to meet our demand.

Anyway, soon we may be using electricity produced from nuclear stations. How does this make you feel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Ignorance is bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just to clarify for some folks out there, contrary to the belief of some(I dare say many), electricity produced from nuclear plants is NOT radio-active. It will not harm you. You do not need to go looking for the iodine tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Radioactive or not, I want my mutant superhero, dammit!

I'd settle for a 90ft radioactive monkey, though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

syklops wrote: »
    Just to clarify for some folks out there, contrary to the belief of some(I dare say many), electricity produced from nuclear plants is NOT radio-active. It will not harm you. You do not need to go looking for the iodine tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Augmerson wrote: »
    How does this make you feel?

It doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Half of everything in your house was probably made in a factory powered by a nuclear reactor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

and we can sell them ours from burning potatoes turf, problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

This is bull****.

When I plugged my alarm clock into the wall and turned it on the electricity made my radio active.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

There is already an interconnector between Scotland and Northern Ireland, which has been operating since 2002: http://www.mutual-energy.com/The_Moyle_Interconnector/Index.php

From that connection some proportion of our energy already comes from Nuclear, because we have had a single electricity market on this island since 2007. I think it is in the order of 2% or so. With this new interconnector that could rise to 5% perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Almost expecting to see some silly post on my Facebook wall on how this should be stopped.

With obligatory link to a petition :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Don't see the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Anyway, soon we may be using electricity produced from nuclear stations. How does this make you feel?

I think you should start a picket line at the coast.

Bloody British electrons coming in here, taking our potential difference.

I think you should start a picket line at the coast.

Why would I do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Once there's electricity to power my rants on boards, I don't care where it comes from. It could be powered by orphans running on wheels for all I care. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You do not need to go looking for the iodine tablets.
    That's a relief, I took mine that time they said there would be a hurricane.

Just in case like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hope so, if it means we will get cheaper electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Isn't it the start of Ireland setting up a massive wind farm and selling electricity to the UK rather than us buying from them in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Does Britain not already need to import electricity from France and Germany? Are they really going to export it to us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

soon we may be using electricity produced from nuclear stations. How does this make you feel?
    Like you missed the point.

This interconnect is for letting us sell them electricity made from wind and clouds and waves and sunshine and flowers and the laughter of children.

Oh, and we've been using British nuclear energy (and swimming in British nuclear waste) for years.

It just seems a bit odd that for years our Gov't is trying to close down Calder Hall/Sellafield but in the meantime is importing nuclear energy from nuclear power stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Kinda ironic isn't it! I remember in primary school sending those postcards to 10 Downing Street asking to shut Sellafield down...we have changed our tune :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be fair it was the processing plant that the campaign was aimed at, but yeah hypocrisy how are you?

Its hard to credit (or it should be) but a Green TD actually wondered out loud about "filtering" the current to not allow nuclear sourced power onto the interconnector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mike65 wrote: »

Its hard to credit (or it should be) but a Green TD actually wondered out loud about "filtering" the current to not allow nuclear sourced power onto the interconnector.

I remember that. That was a real life facepalm moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness, they, on average produce a negative amount per year and we over produce so we will be selling them lovely ardnacrusha water energy (and dirty money point coal energy) and very rarely buying anything from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Gurgle wrote: »
    Like you missed the point.

This interconnect is for letting us sell them electricity made from wind and clouds and waves and sunshine and flowers and the laughter of children.

Oh, and we've been using British nuclear energy (and swimming in British nuclear waste) for years.

But I haven't grown a third leg though. No winning a medal in the Olympics in four years then.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Seaneh wrote: »
    In fairness, they, on average produce a negative amount per year and we over produce so we will be selling them lovely ardnacrusha water energy (and dirty money point coal energy) and very rarely buying anything from them.

The Moyle interconnector is a net exporter of energy from the British system to here, the east-west one is expected to be the same for at least the short term future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I thought we were supposed to be exporting electricity to England and making money out of this not nodding off and saying "ah sure the Brits can supply us with electricity now and the Chinese can make all our stuff until we're all completely broke. Sure we'll all be dead by then anyway"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Isn't it a lot heavier than regular electricity? Can even drop from the power lines and crush thouse unfortunates below :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

From what I have been told, the UK is majorly struggling with capacity. I even heard that there is a ban on building data centres within the M25 in London due to shortages.

Some UK minster was also recently talking about building wind generated power from Ireland too IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Once there's electricity to power my rants on boards, I don't care where it comes from. It could be powered by orphans running on wheels for all I care. :p

Bit short of orphans - will burning bunny rabbits do you for now ?

http://www.thelocal.se/22610/20091012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does that mean you can put an electric fire in the bath so's the water doesn't go cold?:confused:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. How does this make you feel?

Warm when I'm using it to heat the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's pronounced nucular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Radioactive or not, I want my mutant superhero, dammit!

I'd settle for a 90ft radioactive monkey, though

GM corn also helps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where To wrote: »
    Half of everything in your house was probably made in a factory powered by a nuclear reactor.
    Not unless you live in France.

Worldwide nuclear power only supplies about 1/7th the worlds electricity.

Anyway electricity users in the UK pay a surcharge to pay for the cost of Nuclear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Not unless you live in France.

Worldwide nuclear power only supplies about 1/7th the worlds electricity.

Anyway electricity users in the UK pay a surcharge to pay for the cost of Nuclear.
    So, if you have seven two finger Kitkats in your cupboard, one of them is most likely glowing in the dark?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I thought most people knew this and that it's the waste products that are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Meh. we should have our own nuclear power plant anywhere.
    Cheap, and clean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

GarH wrote: »
    Meh. we should have our own nuclear power plant anywhere.
    Cheap, and clean.

Nah... the Irish way is to import it from elsewhere and pretend we are "green"

(despite nuclear being the best chance we have of meeting Kyoto co2 reduction targets.... but we'll keep that quiet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nah... the Irish way is to import it from elsewhere and pretend we are "green"

(despite nuclear being the best chance we have of meeting Kyoto co2 reduction targets.... but we'll keep that quiet).

Haven't we met our Kyoto target now that we've torpedoed the economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If they're sending electricity to us & we're sending some to them at the same time, what happens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Death Rate From Nuclear Power Vs Coal?
    http://d2itb63h5gldlw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/death-rate-per-watts.jpg

Nuclear power is far safer, cleaner and greener than fossil fuels. Fact.

Any other argument is just so much emotive anti-science ignorance.

From what I have been told, the UK is majorly struggling with capacity. I even heard that there is a ban on building data centres within the M25 in London due to shortages.

Some UK minster was also recently talking about building wind generated power from Ireland too IIRC.

I think the plan is for us to be selling them electricity most of the time. When I was in school I wondered why we didn't have a load of interconnectors being built at once and just plug wind turbines into them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

If they're sending electricity to us & we're sending some to them at the same time, what happens then?

Suppose there'll ba a blockage in the wires so?? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Sure we'll run the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity and save £200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

John wrote: »
    Isn't it the start of Ireland setting up a massive wind farm and selling electricity to the UK rather than us buying from them in the long run?

Long term the goal is to sell our excess wind power into the English grid, but we will also be buying from them (and what we buy will be more expensive per watt than what we sell). The main advantage we get is that it will allow us the capacity to increase our reliance on wind power without compromising our supply. One of the major disadvantages of wind power is that it is unreliable, whenever the wind drops, so in order to avoid brownouts we need other sources, hydroelectric is pretty handy because we can turn it on and off quickly, but we don't have the capacity to power the entire country off it. Other options are pumped water stations, like Turlough Hill, where we just pump water up a hill when we have excess capacity and then let it flow back down when we need it, but needs a lot of land to run. So we need other sources, i.e. fossil fuels, but the problem with those is that they take a long time to start supplying electricity (they are all steam based, so it's kinda like boiling a kettle), so if there is a sudden drop in wind power then we have blackouts until the power plants can take up the slack, in order to avoid this we have to keep the fossil fuel plants on even when we even when we don't really need them.

The net result of all that is wasted electricity, and as the amount we generate from wind increases, the amount we waste increases linearly with it, inter-connectors give us an place to sell that waste as well as buy it when we need it, increasing our efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭ted1

John wrote: »

No, we'll never sell wind power to them. We already subside out wind energy, what do you think the pso levy is for? Wind energy isn't economical. Why would we sell at a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If its true its probably due to inadequate infrastructure ad oppose to supply. That is the cables are local traffos are maxed out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement