Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time employee issue

Options
  • 20-09-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend was working full time for approx 5 years as an employee before changing to part time about a year ago. She has recently requested holidays and was told that she isn't entitled to any holidays. The boss said that she is employed as sort of contract staff but as a favour the company was paying her PRSI and tax.

My girlfriend was never told of any of this aand as far as she was aware she was an employee, not self employed and therefore would be entitled to holidays. She works on average 20 hours a week and recieves pay slips that show she has been paying tax and PRSI as an employee of the company.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to be employed like this and not be entitled to holidays? I presume not and the boss is just chancing her arm???

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Boss is chancing their arm. If she is paid by the company as an employee, then she is entitled to her holidays - end of. As a part time worker she gets 8% of her hours worked as holidays. At 20 hrs per week this would be about 83 hours per year holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell her to visit Citizens Information and get them to give the bollox boss a friendly phone call to explain things. If s/he has even half a brain, that will be enough to sort it. If not, next stop NERA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Little Ted is on the ball. Make sure that she demands her entitlement.

Advertisement