Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat is sick this morning

• 20-09-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

This morning I go to let my cat and dog outside. My cat is still sleeping in bed, very strange behaviour for him. In the mornings he always jumps on me, purring and looking fed before going outside. He is very lethargic at the moment and didn't want food or outside. I picked him up but he jumped straight back in his bed again. I'm very worried about him as lastnight he was his normal, outgoing self. I'm in work at the moment stressing out about it. I will go home at lunch time to check on him and bring him to the vets this evening. But right now my mind is wandering all over the place, I hope its nothing serious....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hi, he could have eaten something bad when outside last night or he just caught a cold and he could be sick or feverish.
    Have you checked his ears if they were much warmer than usual?
    When you go home for lunch check his litter, if he has one inside and see if everything looks regular. Try to see if he feels pain somewhere over his body, like the belly, the legs or the back.
    Hope everything is alright before this evening. Let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

He used his litter tray lastnight and everything looked normal in it.

I noticed that he felt a bit warm sort of all over, and his fur was puffed up all over too. He didn't seem to be in pain anywhere because several times he has had little absesses in his paws and on those occasions he acted in the same way, lethargic etc. But I didn't notice anything unusual like that this morning.

I am just so anxious to see how he is at lunch time. I can't concentrate in work right now!

It happened a couple of times that one of my two cats was lethargic and not hungry in the morning, but when I went home to see her during lunch time she was perfectly well. Probably she just needed some more rest before starting off the day.
    I hope it's the same for your cat!

I hope you are right. 2 more hours and I will see how he is. I will have to post here the outcome/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw you must be so worried, he does sound out of sorts alright. Hopefully its just a 24hr bug. If he's still lethargic and not eating this evening id bring him to your vet, as cats can go down hill quite quickly if they're already showing symptoms. They tend not to show if they're unwell if they can help it, so if they're visibly sick its not worth hanging around.

*fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

He used his litter tray lastnight and everything looked normal in it.

I noticed that he felt a bit warm sort of all over, and his fur was puffed up all over too. He didn't seem to be in pain anywhere because several times he has had little absesses in his paws and on those occasions he acted in the same way, lethargic etc. But I didn't notice anything unusual like that this morning.

I am just so anxious to see how he is at lunch time. I can't concentrate in work right now!

I would have said he's just having a bad day, up until the point where you mentioned his fur being puffed up.
    The only time I've seen that before was when one of ours came home injured badly one evening (probably hit by a car). He was slow, didn't want to jump up onto anything, wouldn't eat and his fur was fluffed up.
    What do your cat's eyes look like? Ours had very dilated pupils...

Check up on him at lunch time, and try and see if he's sore anywhere on his body.
    May still be just a bad day, but just to be on the safe side.

His pupils seemed a bit dilated, but I find it odd that last night he was hcompletely 100% normal, up until about 11pm when I put him to bed. So he has went downhill from then until 7:30 this morning.
    What happened to your cat when the fur was puffed up? Was that where he was injured?

OK well I am at home now. He was in exactly the same position when I left him. In bed curled up, food not touched, litter tray not used. He looked happy to see me. His pupils are not dilated and he doesn't look so puffed up either.

I picked him up and he streched out as he normally would. He cuddled me for a little second then jumped down. He scratched his claws and then jumped on the table where I offered him a little tuna and he refused it. He hasn't ate since about 9pm lastnight. The way he walks seems a little slower and he is still not purring.
    He jumped off the table and used the litter tray. I tried to get a urine sample but I just couldn't but I could see it looked ok there was no blood. He then got into his bed again, where he is right now.
    I think I'm still going to take him to the vet. It's very odd for him not to eat and to sleep all day (he never sleeps, he is hyperactive!) What do you folks think?

I think I'm still going to take him to the vet. It's very odd for him not to eat and to sleep all day (he never sleeps, he is hyperactive!) What do you folks think?

My idea is that your cat ate something bad when he was outside yesterday.
    In this case a prompt action is the best thing to do. Don't know if you can take him to the vet now, but this is what I'd do.
    In the terrible case he ate some poison the sooner he's been visited the better.
    When they don't eat is because they could feel nausea. Have you smelt his mouth, his breath? It might be a little rude to your nose, but if you smell a bad odour different from the usual rotten fish smell, well, it could be a good sign of something wrong.
    I'll wait for better news!!!

EDIT: One more question... How old is he? In elder cats a disease called KFD (Kidney Failure Disease) occurs quite often. Even in this cases the first symptoms are a diminished appetite and an increased thirst. The breath can smell like urine in worst cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok, well he hasnt DISimproved since this morning so that's good. Hmmm if it was me, id see what he's like this evening. If still the same or slightly better i would probably hold off if it was me. If there's any deterioration however slight,even if still refusing food id bring him to evening surgery.

• Advertisement

He is a young cat, just turned three years old.

The only thing to do is to wait until this evening when you'll take him to the doctor.
    Please, let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

My pusskins was like this the other week he wasnt eating, sounded like he had a sore throat, was hiding under the bed and generally seemed out of sorts. We took him to the vet in the evening and turns out he had been fighting (again!). Little scrapper! After some pain killers, antibiotics and some soft food he was fine again in a matter of hours.

Just get to the vet ASAP to sort him out. You know when they are not themselves so best to get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I would defo bring him to the vet if it was me. Cats are notorious for hiding their pain so if he is acting out of sorts he should be seen by the vet.

His pupils seemed a bit dilated, but I find it odd that last night he was hcompletely 100% normal, up until about 11pm when I put him to bed. So he has went downhill from then until 7:30 this morning.
    What happened to your cat when the fur was puffed up? Was that where he was injured?

Ours was injured that time, internal injuries. He was badly bruised and had a torn ligament. I suspected at the time that the fluffed up fur was a sort of reaction to the pain, you know, a bit like goosebumps would be in humans?

Judging from your last posts, he doesn't seem all that bad, so it may well have been something funny that he ate. But do check with the vet, just in case.

Thanks for the support. I finish work now in 15 minutes so will be straight on the road to the vets.
    If it is because he has been fighting, then this will be the 6th or 7th time in the three short years I have had him! Because as I said he has acted like this before but he had swollen paws and tail on those occasions and nothing seems to be swollen this time. But I am hoping thats all it is. I will let you all know!

Well the little guy is ok. The vet thought he was under the weather because he may have been fighting and got a little scratch which got infected. His temperature was 108 so he gave him an anti inflammatory and amoxicillin. As soon as we got home he ate a little bit and already seems more alert. I just can't wait until he is back to his old self!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Delighted to here he's back to he's best. Hope you'll give him a nice big treat.... He deserves it ;)

Right now he is on my knee cuddling up to me and licking my face! Back to his old self! Amazing what a little vaccination can do!

Right now he is on my knee cuddling up to me and licking my face! Back to his old self! Amazing what a little vaccination can do!

Glad to hear it! Give him a little treat from all of us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Really glad he's ok... :)
    So horrible when they get sick :( Hugs to him! :)

Wow, glad to read this!
    A temperature of 108, that is 42 in celsius degrees is a very high temperature indeed! Didn't you see any swollen or painful area on his body?
    It is important now that he eats something rich in energy and very palatable. Some vets say that in this case the baby food (I don't know how they are called in English, I mean that creamy food in very small jars to be given to babies when they are few months old) can be advisable.

And I don't want to show myself off as a professor, but your vet didn't do any vaccination on your cat, just gave him a antibiotic for the infection. Probably the antibiotic should be given for a number of days, at least five. Did the vet tell you anything about this?

Can I ask you if you paid less or more than 30 euro? This is what I'd pay to my vet for a situation like yours. I'd just like to compare our prices to yours. Thanks and give your cat a hug from me!

Yes sorry I meant to write injection instead of vaccination!

The vet checked him all over and couldn't find any swellings or anything that hurt the cat. For the two injections it cost me £25. I can't believe how almost immediately he was back to normal!

Right now he has ate a lot of food, his appetite is back to normal too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Great to hear! You also have a little scrapper like me!! Glad he is feeling better.

Advertisement