Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get wood thicknessed

Options
  • 20-09-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Have a piece of wood about 45cmx30cm (maybe slightly larger)

its about 5cm thick and I was looking to get it down to 2cm or so.

any ideas on where i can get this done in dublin?

its a piece of monterey cyprus that I got from kdh in greystones, they don't really do anything as thin as I need, so the other option is somewhere else that has something along what I want, doesn't have to be that exact wood, can be anything really once its hard and the more interesting the grain the better

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi, Try Wood Workers in Mount Tallant ave, they might do it. Alternatively bring it in to a carpentry or joinery workshop, they should do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I take it the piece is 45 long x 30 wide x 5 deep ?
    You will need to cut it down to slightly over 2 cms and then run that through the thicknesser to finish at 2 cm.
    It will take an industrial bandsaw to cut 30cms depth ( although you could cut 10 cms each side with a table saw and finish the 10 cms in the middle on a bandsaw,if that makes sense.
    You would also need a 30cm wide thicknesser.
    I'd think a joinery works is your best bet so ring call in person to some and ask.You are more likely to get a 'not interested ' answer on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Any joinery/carpentry shop should have a thicknesser capable of the job. Moore, O,Gorman in Ballymount have sorted things like this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Any joinery/carpentry shop should have a thicknesser capable of the job. Moore, O,Gorman in Ballymount have sorted things like this for me.

Do you mean you want to thickness the piece fron 5 down to 2 cms. ?
    That would be wasting 60% of the wood ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Higginbothams in Newtwon Industrial Estate in Coolock,Dublin 11.

http://www.higginbotham.ie/

Abbeywoods in Balydoyle Industrial Estate,Baldoyle,Dublin13.

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/index.htm

Ive used both before for cutting,plaining and also sanding large pieces of wood and railway sleepers.

Higginbothams did it there and then for me as I waited.

Top Service indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

table saw and a nice sharp bench plane.

Advertisement