Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution 2013 -Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

WENB V3.0 option file is out.

Finally going to start ML tonight
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Is there a way of checking to see the internet connection between players before you commit to start a match? The only time I can see it is after you start a match. Then you realise their connection is shíte so the game is pointless, but you can't quit

My connection ALWAYS shows only one bar (ever since PES went online a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I said earlier in this thread that I had lag free games, that must have been a few lucky ones. About 6 games later and 2 disconnected and 4 were unplayable. I'll try a few more, but in the last few games online was pointless, with the amound of laggy games I just got compared to good ones I just pissed off and didn't bother any more.
    What's the story with that thing where you press R3, select city to play online? It's finally working, but how do I play someone? I had a room set up for ages like normal online but nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

flushje wrote: »
    Finally got this yesterday and fired up a master league with malaga. Its really **** that none of the transfers have been updated. Going to download a patch soon. Off-loaded Carzola to make it more realistic. Its class, better than fifa by a distance in terms of gameplay, ofc fifa has the realistic aspect with all the real team names etc.

With regards to heading, I was baffled myself, but it seems using the manual shot is the way forward. LT while shooting works like a charm!

Any decent transfer recommendations for the master league? Brought in hummels and Gotze. Hummells is an absolute beast at around 15m. Gotze is a bit weak but still good.

The boots thing is absolutely retarded. I was praying that after PES12 they would sort out the master league. Those menus and the calender are pointless, aswell as the whole animations from the secretary. Wish I could that **** off.

the coach/secretary thing in pes12 was worse though. you had to go through a whole power point demonstration with the clowns every time.

The calender things is way too slow though.

I am really enjoying this though, wish i didn't make classic players available, cba going back and starting again but in this PES they are ALL available from the start, without unlocking them.

very enjoyable game play though, once I set the defence to the deepest setting.

Leftist wrote: »
    the coach/secretary thing in pes12 was worse though. you had to go through a whole power point demonstration with the clowns every time.

The calender things is way too slow though.

I am really enjoying this though, wish i didn't make classic players available, cba going back and starting again but in this PES they are ALL available from the start, without unlocking them.

very enjoyable game play though, once I set the defence to the deepest setting.
    I'm doing the opposite, I'm starting the master league again and making the classic players available. Funny coming up against some nobodies in a match and realising they have a strike force of Cantona and Pele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

how come u cant seem to chat anymore in the lobbies to other users?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

hadepsx wrote: »
    how come u cant seem to chat anymore in the lobbies to other users?

Because konami keep taking stuff out of the game.

I like the game but it's gotten tedious because of the loading times, you spend so much time looking at saving and loading screens in BAL and master league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

bloody annoying it is

Remember you could edit the preset phrases for the lobby and ingame?Gone. Then it was just the preset phrases along the lines of "I had fun today. Will you be my friend", now they're to risque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

This game is almost perfect but FFS the keepers. Any one on one goes in and when it doesn't the animation of the saves looks so bad. Also one on one finishes don't look smooth, sometimes the players kick the ball as if they're charging up a turbo shot. You can't really slot the ball home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

After playing it for about a week solid I have come up with a list of pros and cons:

Cons:

Keepers are a bit ****e
    Sometimes touches can be a bit heavy
    The headers are a little too realistic
    The boots thing is annoying
    The secretary should be sacked
    Should be able to do more with your money in ML (Really hard to get a substantial amount on GP's)
    Free kicks are too easy for com
    Rarely any penalties

Pro's:

I like the way you can boost players ratings
    Better passing, manual passed included
    Some good shot animations
    All around better game play
    Love the way you can pick out certain players from a set piece

This game still owns fifa, especially with the smoke patch. You get all the real teams, extra leagues inc. championship.

Also, for ML Ormoa is a beast. 77 -> 83 in one season. Super player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Rarely any penalties

Yeah, the one obvious thing so far is the lack of fouling by the machine. Not had a penalty yet and would rarely have a chance of scoring directly from a free kick. I want to occasionally come up against an opposition who want to kick the f*ck out of my players. But it seems the chances of the COM team being reduced to ten men are slim to none. Exactly the same as the old PS2 era versions...

On that note as a fan of the old PES games I find the new array of controls bewildering but happily it seems virtually every single control that worked on the PS2 seems to work on this one - even if they're not actually mentioned in the manual?!
    EdenHazard wrote: »
    This game is almost perfect but FFS the keepers. Any one on one goes in and when it doesn't the animation of the saves looks so bad. Also one on one finishes don't look smooth, sometimes the players kick the ball as if they're charging up a turbo shot. You can't really slot the ball home

What about manually placing the shot and tapping it home with the triangle button? Rolls the ball low past the keeper nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I downloaded and installed this option file yesterday and I have to say I'm very impressed. Particularly with the stadiums.

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/wenb-euro-option-file-v3-released/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I've never been bothered by official kits but what's up with some of the international shirts? Playing as Brazil in green? I think not... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

After a few weeks of it, I can say I've enjoyed it for the most part. I always preferred the old Pro Evo's to Fifa and this is the closest they've come to the old days for a long time.

It's not without it's problems though. Keepers are atrocious at times. I conceded a goal today when a keeper turned his back on the ball as it rolled past him. Also player switching, particularly on defence, is gonna lead to me throwing a controller through my tv pretty soon. The game can never seem to switch to the player I want it to, even when I use the right stick.

But those few complaints aside, it's a very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

After playing it for about a week solid I have come up with a list of pros and cons:

Cons:

Keepers are a bit ****e
    Sometimes touches can be a bit heavy
    The headers are a little too realistic
    The boots thing is annoying
    The secretary should be sacked
    Should be able to do more with your money in ML (Really hard to get a substantial amount on GP's)
    Free kicks are too easy for com
    Rarely any penalties
    :confused::confused:

I am on my second season of ML offline using the WNB option file (so I am in the Championship with 19 other teams).

Finished mid-table and a million miles away from top 3 in my first season.

My signings:

- Colin Doyle from Brum (needed a keeper - nothing special - big guy)
    - Some Latvian striker (sort of fast but real strength is stamina, technique poor)
    - Rob Earnshaw (who has poorish technique and stamina but amazing as a supersub)
    - Peter Whittingham for left wing (great at set pieces and crosses)
    - Manages to get the Slovak Weiss for the right-wing somehow (I think he was a free agent from the get go)
    - Zubar from Wolves (just okay at CB)

In the summer window I signed Faye as a new DMF, Boye for RB and Jody Craddock as another CB.

Hope to get promoted this season.

Standout performers from the default ML team are:
    - Centre Half Jamaocvich (or something like that, great at set pieces)
    - Vutronok (or something, striker who came close to top scorer)
    - Castelo (AMF - sweet left foot and tech but crap at most other things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

I'm finding this game all too easy even on the hardest difficulty! I switched to PES this year because Im not a massive fan of online play and FIFA offline is just ridiculous with it's 'everyone is Barca' AI.

Half way through my first season in the ML..started with default players so in D2 with the championship teams. In December now and have won all my games to date..including a 2-1 win in the FA cup against Arsenal (all on superstar difficulty). I'm actually winning some games 5-6 nil.

I've made two signings..Findley from Notts Forrest..who has 88 pace (or 93 when I equip the boots power up) and Lasovic who is just a good solid player (i play him at SS).

I've signed up a few youth players too.. Neousds.. the 73 rated GK. Nouhi the 81 cb, Fijemani 68 rated CB, Aaartman 71 rated LM, Nerlinder 78 rated AM. I could be a bit off with those ratings but I'm pretty close.

I play a 4-2-3-1 formation but with the 1 pushed very high up and the 3 just set outside the box. Get the ball to the wide players in the front 3..play a through ball between the opposition FB and CB and POW Findley straight through to finish.

Very straight forward tactic and honestly it's a bit boring but oh so effective..

Nerelinder (or however you spell it) is by far my favourite and best player so far with a special mention to Voileman and Gazelta in CM!

callaway92 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

I simply mean that its very hard to score with a header. Your positioning needs to be spot on, or else you would head it over. Even when its a free header and they are not positioned correctly, it goes over. In RL players would never be out of position for headers THAT much.

When the ball is in the air, you can control the targeted played by holding down R2 along with the D=PAD/stick.

Still difficult to pull off but you can move players towards a cross.

• Advertisement

Why the hell do keepers seem to have unreal speed in the game? Any ball over the top, no matter who the keeper is he will come and do that annoying slide thing and clear the ball perfectly out of play! There has to be more risk to it and I include for the player as well as the AI.

How do you get your teammate to make a run again?

The semi assisted cusor change is annoying. Two players would be close to the ball and the cursor changes to the player that is further away. What the fu-- is with free kicks? It may as well be a peno for the CPU if they have any half decent FK taker. As usual, some of the commentary is complete bollox. The keepers are ****e, heading is ****e. The master league animations are ****e.

So many good things about it though. PES >>>> FIFA

I still have no idea how to use skill on the PC with xbox joypad. Loads to learn!!

Everytime the AI have a FK, you should hold L1 and click the Right stick so you can move your keeper a little further into the middle of the goal.

Just be sure to click out of it when you are done though as you don't want to be controlling him when the actual kick is taken.

noodler wrote: »
    Everytime the AI have a FK, you should hold L1 and click the Right stick so you can move your keeper a little further into the middle of the goal.

Just be sure to click out of it when you are done though as you don't want to be controlling him when the actual kick is taken.

Had no idea that was possible. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

trading in fifa and have ordered pro evo on amazon...its only 30euro.
    i just didnt enjoy fifa at all and hoping pro evo will give me more enjoyment.

PES is so **** in so many ways and then has redeeming features which make you wanna play more. If this came out 6 years ago it would be :O but time moves on and Konami just haven't made the effort. Things that were in the game have been taken out and no real cool new stuff has come in. The keeper animations are frankly atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

EdenHazard wrote: »
    PES is so **** in so many ways and then has redeeming features which make you wanna play more. If this came out 6 years ago it would be :O but time moves on and Konami just haven't made the effort. Things that were in the game have been taken out and no real cool new stuff has come in. The keeper animations are frankly atrocious.

PES has so many annoyances but after playing fifa 13 I can safely say pes is much better.

Agree with the keepers thing. So annoying. So many other little things as well. In fairness, they have added some decent stuff. I'm still hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I like it. Don't agree with the difficulties being too easy. I found top player a bit too much in terms of skill.

just a bit sick of the oppo balls over the top. last year's edition was a joke for this and this year's is not as bad, but it's still painful sometimes. I play the deepest defense setting possible and there the gob****es are on the halfway line while someone like aguero peels off and finishes like a bullet. See ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Leftist wrote: »
    I like it. Don't agree with the difficulties being too easy. I found top player a bit too much in terms of skill.

just a bit sick of the oppo balls over the top. last year's edition was a joke for this and this year's is not as bad, but it's still painful sometimes. I play the deepest defense setting possible and there the gob****es are on the halfway line while someone like aguero peels off and finishes like a bullet. See ya.

I think deep defensive line only matters if your defense is set up while the other team has had the ball for a while.

Your problems might be a counter attack where the ball is given before your defense is set up. You might instead want to change the slider for player support to be much more defensive - and have less movement for players to receive the ball. Then use the right stick to trigger runs for players if you need them to move forward.

I ended up very frustrated by constant through balls I couldn't deal with while playing this - but slowly over time I made much better decisions, knowing where the risks were too high to risk a dodgy pass, changing one of my full backs to a centre half (give me three transition defenders instead of two but I get no support upfield on right wing). Eventually, the AI was rarely playing balls so far over the top and if it did the balls were just running to the keeper.

Found it much more rewarding than FIFA, at least when you get it set up in a way that suits you can save it all - formation, sliders, team lineup, and load it as you want it. Not sure if you can do that in this year's FIFA - I know I did it in FIFA 12.

Advertisement