Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new PC for gaming, need advice on parts

Options
  • 20-09-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

completely new to these forums but i am in need of advice, its been many years since i've gone near PCs for gaming but somehow i've gotten it into my head that i need one now!

I've had a look at some of the other similar posts and i believe everyone answers a fairly defined set of questions to give people an idea of what they are looking for, so here goes...

1. What is your budget? €1800-2000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Possibly down the line

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Next week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help required

Here's the list of parts i am considering, prices come from Komplett and Dabs.

I know a german store is recommended here alot, but its less about the price at the moment(although that is important) than it is about getting the right build and then getting best price on recommended components.

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100 - 2 x 120mm €106.92
    CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHz 8MB S1155 €309.70
    GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 680 1084MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI SC Signature €521.52
    RAM Corsair Vengeance - 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz CC9 XMP (x2) €116.98
    MOBO Asus Maximus V Formula ROG Socket 1155 ATX €279.95
    PSU Corsair - Professional Gold AX850 - 850 Watt €179.00
    HD Seagate 2TB SATA-600 7200rpm 64MB €114.95
    SSD Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" SATA600 €179.95
    CASE Corsair Graphite Series 600T - Midi tower €154.95

Any advice would be appreciated, would be looking for this to cover gaming at high to ultra settings for the next 2 years (with a view to sli in that period if prices come down).

Oh, last thing i will just be using a 1080p TV, no multi monitor set-ups.

Thanks.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I see some glaring issues straight away, namely, why are you going with a second generation i7? Go for a 3770... or a 3770K if you really want.

Also, do you really need a 680? If you're purely gaming it would almost be better to just go with a 660ti then upgrade again in two or three years. Always buy mid-range and upgrade more than spend far too much on a card that is not a terribly huge leap from the midrange.

Also your PSU is probably more wattage than you need. Are you considering SLI?

Looks like you're just trying to spend as much money as possible :P Relax the specs a little and get a really nice keyboard and mouse instead or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

I'm no expert, and I'm sure one of the regular posters with far better experience can give a more detailed critique. That said, if this is for gaming with a 2 year upgrade path then:

Why that mobo - looks like major overkill unless it has features you really want
    Psu- do you really need 850w- I think monotype has an post somewhere on what size psu you need
    Ram- do you need ram that fast? I don't think you'll see any real benefit fir the price
    CPU- why 2nd gen i7. If the rig is for gaming a 3rd gen i5 3570k is probably your best fit
    Gpu -as poster above noted!

Given the cash you'd save on that I'd suggest you might be better looking at adding a really good monitor instead of using a tv

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Oh yeah; agree with tritium. If it's purely gaming, don't even both with an i7 get an i5 3570K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Bloated in some areas, and thin in others. A 680 is just a bad buy, unless you happen to have a 2560x1600 monitor or two that will be connected to this machine. Also, the 2700K is a bit of a weird option to be honest. With that sort of money, I'd tell you to stay the hell away from a H100, and go with a custom loop, to include your GPU as well.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€215.26
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6, Sockel 1155, ATX|€160.64
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance PC3-14900U CL9|€47.10
    MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC, GeForce GTX 670, 2048MB DDR5|€369.68
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA 6GB's NB Upgrade Kit|€216.02
    be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 10 550W|€124.42
    WD Caviar Green 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€140.69
    Corsair Graphite 600T, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€145.49
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1438.29

Something like that leaves you plenty of money for nice speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc. now, and to upgrade to a GTX 780 and full-on watercooling come the start of next year. If you don't want to wait, feel free to add in the H100, and sub the 670 for a 680 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LastRyano

Thanks for the replies, as i said haven't been near PC gaming in years so i figured the build i came up with would be a mix of unsuitable parts, some overpowered trying to compensate for a lack of current knowledge, some under.

The 2700k appeared after clearly making the mistake of looking things up in the middle of the night.

Probably read some comment or review which recommended it and it just stuck.:)

I was going with the 670 originally, can't even remember why i moved up to the 680, think a friend said he was getting one, so maybe i'll have another look at the 670. To be honest though i don't mind spending on the GPU if it will last that bit longer (i know its a very minor jump in performance for the cost).

Thanks for the help, more would always be appreciated, i'm back to the internet to check out what you 3 have recommenced in the mean time, maybe i'll get a nice gaming chair with the cash saved:P

The 850 watt PSU was in case i wanted to go down the sli route in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

(Sorry, I posted this in other topic, but I see this is more relevant here...)

Hi Lads,

I am thinking on this conf. What do you think? Could you suggest other website where I would get cheaper maybe? Actual prices from dabs.ie.

Corsair Memory Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case -- €188.71
    Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX
    €233.62
    Intel Core i7-3770K S1155 3.5GHz 8MB
    €339.04
    Corsair Memory TX850 V2 850W ATX Enthusiast Series
    €113.40
    Samsung 256GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive Desktop Kit ---- €222.53
    Asus AMD Radeon 7870 HD 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI DIRECTCU II TOP
    €288.18
    Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) HyperX 2133MHz DDR3 Non-ECC DIMM 240-pin CL11 -- €109.99
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x SATA Int BD-RW Burner Black Bare
    €74.68
    Corsair Memory Cooling Hydro Series H100 High-Performance CPU Cooler
    €87.08

All together:
    € 1,660.63

H100 cooler will fit in T600 case?
    Do I need Drive Desktop Kit version from Samsung SSD?

Thank you very much for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LastRyano

Hi szines,

the H100 will fit in the 600T, checked youtube and it shows people installing it at the top of the case.

If you are just looking at gaming then you probably don't need the i7 but the i5 3750, see posts above where people advised me of same. Pretty much the same advice everywhere i checked after them pointing me to the i5.

As for the other parts, i am no expert, hence me posting the thread in the first place but you probably don't need the 2133MHz ram, i believe again the performance difference will be negligible to even the 1600MHz in terms of gaming.

The 850watt PSU is not needed i am told unless you plan to double up on GPUs in the future.

I can't really answer any other questions as again, am a bit clueless myself so don't want to give you a wrong steer.

Some other shops choices are Komplett.ie or everyone here seem to recommend http://lb.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp for the best prices, but they don't accept credit card only bank transfers i believe.

Good luck to you mate i ordered my parts last week and am hoping to start getting them this/next week and begin assembly!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

Hi LastRyano,

Thank you for great advises. I try to order from this German shop, looks much more cheaper than dabs.

Hope everything will be fine.

Cheers!

Advertisement