Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doctors look down at public

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

My first thought was ....what....deja vu ???? .....weird

But then I remembered this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056759817

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I'm not asking the same question. I want to know should the private consultants practice be allowed to continue in public hospitals? Should they be allowed to pick and choose who they operate on while working in Public Hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

emzolita wrote: »
    One of the consultants I see retired from Beaumont Hospital, but continued to see patients in Beaumont Private, for €150-200 an appointment. That's a bit wrong.

Why is it wrong? If the patients want to continue to see him and they chose to see him at his private rooms and pay for the consultation that was their decision to make. The doctor wasn't getting any money from the public system then.

kupus wrote: »
    Rephrase:

I'd have treated lip-op girl if I knew she was private.

This quote can be summed up as....There is a girl needing an operation but shes on the public list, I'll pass her onto my junior assistant....

Is this ok with you is what im trying to ask.

The junior doctors have to learn somewhere sometime on someone.
    We don't know what other public patient the consultant may have been opeation on at the time. This other patient may have required a more complicated surgery that only the consultant was capable of preforming and so the more simply operation was left to the junior doctor.
    The admin mess up was still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    After reading this story in the papers I am looking for peoples views if this is right or wrong and should this be allowed any longer?

Story:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/id-have-treated-lipop-girl-if-i-knew-she-was-private-3235071.html

I have no problem with the two tier system per say. Money talks so if you have it you are always going to be able to afford better care anywhere you go, what I do have an issue with is the Doctors / Consultants that work in Public hospitals but also treat their private clients there.

Should we not have the two separated? Should we not demand these consultants have their own premises to practice privately?

Basically the above story highlights that it is acceptable for public patients to receive sub standard care. After all, should we not demand the same attention to public patients in public hospitals?

What are your thoughts?
    Public hospitals are taxpayer funded. People with Health Insurance pay tax, why shouldn't they then be able to use the facilities that their taxes paid for?
    Unless you are proposing allowing those of us who have health insurance to have a lower rate of tax applied to us since you want to prevent us using public hospitals.

Well here is another problem then slurryface, these operations are taking place on public property using public resources involving public staff....All funded by the taxpayer.
    Why should people on trollies in the middle of the night have to wait around for private patients to get preferential treatment in a public hosptial that taxpayers have and continue to overpay for.

Private patients in a private hospital fine,
    Private patients in a public hospital creating even more waiting lists. Not fine.

Build a private hospital for private patients or is that too forward thinking for our esteemed consultants.

Private patients pay taxes too ya know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have VHI and was in hospital recently, I don't think you get any preferential treatment other than the VHI paying for everything. I spent 5 hours on a trolley in the corridor before my operation. I was seen fairly quickly and skipped by people in the waiting room but it was an emergency at that point. Other than that I was on a ward with everyone else.

I never suggested you could not use public hospital, what I am saying is that the consultants on duty in Public Hospital should give their full attention to all patients. Why be allowed to pick and choose who you look after? The consultant is paid by public to look after public.

Their private business should be conducted in private hospitals.

They won't be available in public hospitals then. They have a lot of patients to get around to, it's not really surprising they don't spend to much time with individuals.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    They won't be available in public hospitals then. They have a lot of patients to get around to, it's not really surprising they don't spend to much time with individuals.

Ok, in that case if they have so much private business are we not better off without them in the public system so that we can have availability for the ones that do want to work in public sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

There is a girl needing an operation but shes on the public list, I'll pass her onto my junior assistant Co-worker.
    You still haven't even read the indo story, never mind the rest of this thread.
    The surgery was not carried out by his co-worker, it was carried out by an employee of the hospital / HSE / State.

A 4th year surgical registrar is not a junior anything, he's within a matter of months of becoming a surgical consultant himself.
    Quote is there and my reading of it still stands,that he cares much more for the fee paying nixers than that of the public taxpayers.
    This is not what the consultant said, this is the headline.

These are not nixers they are his own patients, as opposed to other doctors' patients sent for a consultation.

Your misunderstanding of the situation has already been corrected.
    Why are you still flogging this horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Did I say scans ? I'm talking about the staff costs for people other than consultants. AFAIK they don't bill for that stuff. There are consultant fees and there is an overnight rate charge (about €1000)
    Oh good grief, what do you think the overnight charge is for?
    The room service menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Public or Private patients in Public Hospitals thread merged into this one as its a similar topic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Probably are some doctors who look down on people as they no doubt represent a cross section of human characteristics,to say all doctors do so is clearly nonsense.

Rephrase:

This quote can be summed up as....There is a girl needing an operation but shes on the public list, I'll pass her onto my junior assistant....

Is this ok with you is what im trying to ask.

Indeed that is the issue here,

There is supposed to be 2 types of consultants now though, one is public only and the others can combine both, that's my understanding of the new system that was brought in a few years ago. Bit of an Irish solution to an Irish problem.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Well here is another problem then slurryface, these operations are taking place on public property using public resources involving public staff....All funded by the taxpayer.
    Why should people on trollies in the middle of the night have to wait around for private patients to get preferential treatment in a public hosptial that taxpayers have and continue to overpay for.

Private patients in a private hospital fine,
    Private patients in a public hospital creating even more waiting lists. Not fine.

Build a private hospital for private patients or is that too forward thinking for our esteemed consultants.

It isn't really funded by the taxpayer though, the VHI and the other insurance companies pay the hospitals, its a big part of their funding.

Gurgle wrote: »
    The room service menu?

You should probably see an optician....you appear to have not seen most of my post.

Here I'll make the important parts big for you to account for your shortsightedness

Did I say scans ? I'm talking about the staff costs for people other than consultants. AFAIK they don't bill for that stuff. There are consultant fees and there is an overnight rate charge (about €1000) - but it is NOT broken down for the services each individual might use as it should be. So depending on how sick someone is they may well be loss making - if a private patient spends an uneventful week on a ward getting scans etc the Hospital may make a profit on it. If a private patient spends a week in a CCU having lots of complications the hospital most certainly lose alot of money on them. Hell the meds alone could easily cost a grand a day.

Also - some services are ONLY available under the public system regardless of insurance status
    Gurgle wrote: »
    The room service menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Somebody needs to go into Kupus and shout READ THE ARTICAL,it's the only way to get his attention.

You should probably see an optician....you appear to have not seen most of my post.

Here I'll make the important parts big for you to account for your shortsightedness

I'd have thought meds would billed to the insurance company. I know anaesthetists are charged separately. I assume the b&b element would cover nurses and stuff like that.

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd have thought meds would billed to the insurance company. I know anaesthetists are charged separately. I assume the b&b element would cover nurses and stuff like that.

Well the HSE don't mention medication charges here:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Older_People_Services/Benefits_and_Entitlements/Hospital_charges.html#priv

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen I suppose - but since medications are hand written in charts I'd imagine it would be very difficult and time consuming to individually bill patients for their meds (outside of stuff like chemotherapy etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Martin Corbally is a great man for muddying the waters as it where

Hi Private Patient statement deflects from the facts that he has been involved in at least two previous cases where similar errors have been carried out by Him or by someone on his team

http://www.thejournal.ie/committee-hears-of-blunders-that-led-to-wrong-kidney-being-removed-from-8-year-old-boy-18020-Sep2010/

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/punctured-artery-lead-to-two-year-olds-hospital-death-213702.html

Poor communication seems to be a common theme to all three cases. All in which Martin Corbally was chief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Slurryface wrote: »
    Working is wrong? It is that mentality that has this country in the mess it's in.
    No i didnt mean that, I meant surely it's a bit unethical to say, "i'm retiring from treating public patients, but will continue to see private patients, in the private sector of a PUBLIC hospital."

Im not giving out about him lowering his workload etc, thats cool, just sounds very snobby to only see private patients from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

jessiejam wrote: »
    Not true. I have the unfortunate privilege of having a long term illness, and I have often been seen by the consultant in the public clinic.

yes, for a lot of long term illnesses, there are dedicated "wings" or "floors" of a hospital, where all your tests are done by the consultants and everything is free. Top consultants - free. So OP is a bit naive on the subject.

emzolita wrote: »
    No i didnt mean that, I meant surely it's a bit unethical to say, "i'm retiring from treating public patients, but will continue to see private patients, in the private sector of a PUBLIC hospital."
    As long as he's paying for his use of the public hospital I don't see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

One consultant = "doctors". Why do people bother posting such stupid sh1t?
    OOOOH looks like we have a few bad a$$es here who are happy with crap service.

I can sense that you never had the misfortune to have to deal with the Irish Health sector. And to that I say well done, you're healthy your family is healthy and your friends are healthy
    You have absolutely no idea whatsoever whether that's true - one person said they have a long-term illness. I needed to use a public health service out of the blue last year and I couldn't praise them highly enough, so perhaps drop saying arsey things simply because you're not being agreed with and people seeing through your distortions in order to suit the obvious agenda you're pushing. Why such a problem with Labour btw? You seem to share similar ideology, well re the health service anyway.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Well when you get your first smear it feels like a fúcking torchlight going up there :eek:
    It's like getting jacked up like a tyre! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I never suggested you could not use public hospital, what I am saying is that the consultants on duty in Public Hospital should give their full attention to all patients. Why be allowed to pick and choose who you look after? The consultant is paid by public to look after public.

Ok here's an idea. Let all those who simply want public facilities pay their taxes and let said taxes go towards public hospitals.

Let all those who want to avail of private healthcare also pay their taxes and again let said taxes go towards "private hospitals". Let the money they pay in voluntary health insurance also go to said hospitals.

This way, public hospitals are completely funded by those who wish to avail of them. Private hospitals are completely and independently funded by those who wish to avail of them. There is a distinct, fair line between the two with nobody funding anybody else.

Let's see how long the public hospitals can survive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Madam_X wrote: »
    One consultant = "doctors". Why do people bother posting such stupid sh1t?

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever whether that's true - one person said they have a long-term illness. I needed to use a public health service out of the blue last year and I couldn't praise them highly enough, so perhaps drop saying arsey things simply because you're not being agreed with and people seeing through your distortions in order to suit the obvious agenda you're pushing. Why such a problem with Labour btw? You seem to share similar ideology, well re the health service anyway.

It's like getting jacked up like a tyre! :D

Yup :rolleyes: I was super nervous having my first one (and also a virgin) - didn't help as I was lying there, legs splayed, the doctor comes out with, "I can't believe someone has stolen my speculum again!" and goes trotting off to find it :eek:

or was I? Can't actually remember, wasn't much time between the two :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I had a problem with my arse hole - my doctor was looking up me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Robinxx

Insurance companies pay consultants to perform surgery on private patients in public hospitals, they also pay the public hospital for the use of their facilities & staff etc. This provides much needed revenue to the public hospitals. Insurance companies will only pay for a consultant to perform the surgery, they will not pay for a registrar etc. This story brings to our attention the fact that consultants obviously do not always operate on their own private patients, they get a junior doctor (paid by the public) to perform some operations & do you honestly believe that they don't bill the insurance company anyway, pure greed. I don't think that they should be seeing private patients in public hospitals, private & public should be get seperate like in the UK, then more public patients would be operated on in public hospitals. It is also a joke the way they are allowed have private consultations in public hospitals- charge €150 or so per consultation & they do not pay the public hospital anything for the use of their facilities. Pure greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

OP clearly went in for a colonoscopy, was raped and feels like a little hysterical whinge.

On topic, my family doctor is a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh my GP is the shizz. But secretly he might have done a deal with the big pharmaceuticals, so I'll be extra suspicious of him from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My own family doc is outstanding and never fobs any of us off. He always seems to take a personal interest in any problems we've shown up with.

My only issue is the rates GPs charge- given a long term condition, I have to attend more often than average and it's €60 a pop nowadays.
    As opposed to looking boredly indifferent as he trousers €50 to listen to you for 5 minutes?? Or saying-"hang on, I can't be bothered with your trifles, I'll fetch the nurse-bore her instead"??? I'd bleedin hope he looks interested. Any luck and he might even come up with a few suggestions, let alone look interested. As in "do his job".
    I was in Hospital there a year or two ago - got injured at work, our work's dangerous and hospital crops up quite a bit, usually A&E but this was a "jasus, admit him quick" jobbie. I was plonked in a ward full of OAPs - nothing wrong there(apart from having "private health insurance"-the one where you get your own room, hah etc(:D:eek:). The arrogant, egotistical pr1ck of a Consultant(I'm good at recognising them, takes one to know one etc) breezed in and announced to me"come see me at my private clinic and I'll sort you out". Err, what are we doing here so?? Having a rest?? Was my reply. "No, I have a private clinic where you pay separatly." ffs.
    I'm actually losing the will to type anymore as it's a waste of breath, but the health service is nuts. So is "private health insurance".

Advertisement