Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pilots using iphone to fly?

• 20-09-2012 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

The minister for Justice had this to say about the error which put a non-existent airport in Dundrum.

" I am surprised to discover that Airfield, which is in the centre of my constituency in Dundrum, has, in Apple’s new operating system iOS 6 maps application, been designated with the image of an aircraft. Airfield, a 35 acre estate with working farm, formal gardens and café is of course a famous and immensely popular, important local amenity. Clearly the designation is not only wrong but is dangerously misleading in that it could result in a pilot, unfamiliar with the area, in an emergency situation and without other available information, attempting a landing."

http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-apple-maps-airport-dundrum-602115-Sep2012/

Although I suppose it's not so outrageous when you consider Ryanair.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I wonder do they get people to proof read this crap or just lob it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

How many problems have Ryanair actually had in recent times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

MagicSean wrote: »
    The minister for Justice had this to say about the error which put a non-existent airport in Dundrum.

" I am surprised to discover that Airfield, which is in the centre of my constituency in Dundrum, has, in Apple’s new operating system iOS 6 maps application, been designated with the image of an aircraft. Airfield, a 35 acre estate with working farm, formal gardens and café is of course a famous and immensely popular, important local amenity. Clearly the designation is not only wrong but is dangerously misleading in that it could result in a pilot, unfamiliar with the area, in an emergency situation and without other available information, attempting a landing."

http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-apple-maps-airport-dundrum-602115-Sep2012/

Although I suppose it's not so outrageous when you consider Ryanair.

Obviously he has fcuk all to be worrying about if thats what he is spouting on about.

None .
    They are a huge Irish success story, which is why the Irish feel obliged to do them down all the time.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Good to see Shatter concerning himself with the important issues of the day.

Wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

there are plenty of light aircraft users etc... around. It doesn't necessary have to apply to 747s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

It could happen, I once parked in a strip joint because my sat nav said it was a parking lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Uriel. wrote: »
    there are plenty of light aircraft users etc... around. It doesn't necessary have to apply to 747s.

A light aircraft user should have their licence taken away from them if they need to use their phone to find where they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well there was that time when they landed at the wrong airport in Derry

And didn't a pilot from a different airline try to land on a hotel in Ballymun ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thinly veiled "I want an airport in my constituency" press release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The error prompted Dublin Airport Authority to tweet: “Just in case anybody is confused DublinAirport is not moving to the southside. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Surely the pilot would notice the lack of a runway??

It would want to be some fair serious emergency if an aircraft couldn't make it the 8 miles to Baldonnel or 9 miles to Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He's been very busy this week, he must be shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Apple mapping..... tools should have stuck with Google Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4857962.stm

There are more than a few incidents where Ryanair planes have landed at the wrong airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's almost like Shatter is trying to outdo McDowell in the minister for c**tishness stakes

Gyalist wrote: »

There are more than a few incidents where Ryanair planes have landed at the wrong airport.
    Eirjet. Now evidence please for your crazy claim that Ryanair have done this a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It's a lot more common that some might think. I know United Express has had 2 or 3 occasion in my memory and the US air force also. I'm sure far more have happened but since its not Ryanair people are more likely to forgive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Well that is a different company there. And in it they say that nothing similar has happened before. So how many things have happened in the six years since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Alan Shatter claims that an error in the new Apple Map app could lead to planes to land on a farm in Stillorgan...
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/justice-minister-shatter-surprised-about-apple-airport-in-the-middle-of-dundrum-3235329.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

New Apple advertisement:

"trying to land a plane? - there's an app for that..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Alan Shatter is a bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Apple will just sue someone over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What a fcuking non-story. I suppose Shatter thinks he's all "down with it, kool and the gang" with this shíte. Clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Google Maps?

I thought it was the Apple Maps that had the mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Cullen seems like he has the common sense that that raving imbecile Shatter clearly doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

keith16 wrote: »
    What a fcuking non-story. I suppose Shatter thinks he's all "down with it, kool and the gang" with this shíte. Clown.

Its not just Shatter(who is an eejit btw), there are several layers of f*ckin idiocy about this. Shatter says blah, the independent says that Shatter said blah without offering any actual commentary or opinion on the matter(which is called journalism by the way), and someone else has posted that a shower of eejits, have written an article about another eejit, saying something f*ckin idiotic.

Threads Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Well spotted Alan

You should also try to recoup some of the costs of refitting the whole Aer Lingus fleet with the iPhone 5 connector. If that thing runs out of battery it'll be all 911 again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

It is a stupid story but there is official Navigation apps for the ipad and iphone.
    Used an ipad instead of paper charts when I was flying cessnas in FLorida last year, perfectly legal and safer too. I could just tap on an airport and get all the info I needed like weather, fuel prices etc.

http://www.foreflight.com/

Obviously these are aviation charts and not Google maps!!

Advertisement