Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost basta key to bedroom lock...

• 20-09-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

The key to a basta lock on the bedroom door has been misplaced and so the door can't be opened. I've tried all the basta keys from 1 to 16 given to me by a local locksmith, and even the two discontinued keys (6 and 14) without success. This lock is definitely a basta and is undamaged yet still won't open for these keys! Is there another set of basta keys out there that might work? Any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Basta (Basta Parsons) manufacture in Tubbercurry, Co Sligo - it might be worth giving them a call. It may just need a new lock all the same.
    http://www.bastaparsons.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm sure my old Landlord had Basta lock to all the rooms. He had no problem getting extra keys for each lock, as each key has a number.

I know you probably won't know the number of your lost key but Basta might be able to help. Otherwise someone with a large bunch of Basta keys will have one to match your lock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

is the spring or another part in the lock itself actually broken,in that case no key would work,better off kicking the door in and repairing afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

So the door is open, minus a lock! In the end I couldn't source the right key and I couldn't get at the lock itself with a hacksaw so I simply hammered a nail into the wood around the frame of the lock and knocked the lock out with a mallet. I then fitted in a sheet of plywood so the door was technically saved, doesn't look too bad but just lacks a lock now. It'll do until I pick up a cheap door soon.

Thanks for all the advice, and I'll probably be posting again soon for advice on how to fix a botched door fitting :)

Cheers.

Advertisement