Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 20-09-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am working in Dublin for the past month and a half and I intend on moving my family up to soon.

I have a daughter under a year and two cats.

So would anyone be able to recommend a nice area to live that has amenties, is safe and has good public transport.

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Renting? Buying? Budget?

Where in Dublin will you be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I am working in Sandyford (i do drive)...

I would like to Rent my budget will be ~€1200 a month.

Somewhere like cabinteely or Shankill would be good places to start looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Cabinteely is worth looking at - its close by and is a nice,safe village with a park with a big playgound and locals shops and restaurants, or Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire if you prefer the sea.
    Kracken wrote: »
    I am working in Sandyford (i do drive)...

I would like to Rent my budget will be ~€1200 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Dundrum is very handy for working in Sandyford. The Luas is great and there's an orbital bus route that serves Tallaght, Rathfarnham, Marley Park, Dundrum and Dun Laoghaire. Obviously the shopping centre is there, there's a swimming pool a 10/15 minute walk away in Meadowbrook and there are a few parks and football fields in the area. There's also a network of decent off-road cycle lanes and footapth/cycle lanes along the streams (from Sandyford Road near the shopping centre all the way past the swimming pool to Marley Park).

Shankill would be as above, (Seaview is a lovely place to live with kids Village) similar to cabinteely in that regard, big park with paths for walking running, playground, with a tesco express, lidl and superquinn's few minutes drive away in bray - cabinteely also benefits from these as it's only another two minutes down the n11 and closer to sandyford.

There's an estate in loughlinstown called cherrywood, great place to live so keep your eye out for there.

There's a house here in sallynoggin, honeypark is a gorgeous old estate built before or during ww1 I think. Sallynoggin has loads of buses that go to dun laoghaire, into the city etc, dun laoghaire is about 20 minutes walk and has all the amenities you could want. There are loads of lovely places near dun laoghaire really, dalkey, sandycove, glasthule - all a bit further from sandyford but not that far.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1262275

Blackrock is definitely worth a look, as is monkstown, though I think they tend to be a little more expensive due to them being closer to the city (I could be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

How about living in Sandyford itself, i.e. Beacon South Quarter? I lived there before, very nice apartments, a dunnes etc., and has this: www.imaginosity.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Dardania wrote: »
    How about living in Sandyford itself, i.e. Beacon South Quarter? I lived there before, very nice apartments, a dunnes etc., and has this: www.imaginosity.ie

Not a bad spot really but with that budget you could do a lot better for your money than an apartment, especially if you have kids. You could definately get a house in Stillorgan/Blackrock/Dundrum for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Hi All,

I appreciate the feedback, it great to hear about all the amenties for my daughter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd second Dundrum or Sandyford itself. Anywhere along the Luas line is a winner in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I'd move close to work and the luas, spend a bit more if you have to as you will save it on transport (if you can walk to work). I'd forget about driving sandyford can be a bit of a nightmare at times

• Registered Users Posts: 10 su27

I'm in similar situation - two cats and a little daughter. I'm also looking for nice, safe area for a family but near or well communicated (under 30min) with Heuston station.

Advertisement