Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filter Media query

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I’ve just splashed out on a Fluval fx5 to complement the internal filter on my Rio 400. don’t have much experience with external rigs at all so was wondering about media, the fx5 has 3 baskets you can fill with whatever you choose, I think I want it to be mainly bio filtration with a basket for Mechanical. The mechanical I’m covered for, apparently you can just stuff it with pillow floss and this will do the job, regarding the other two baskets, am I better off buying some proper Bio Media (ceramic rings, etc) or is there a handy (read cheap) alternative I can stick in there? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

If your into shooting, or are near a shooting range then the plastic shotgun wads are great media just give them a quick boil and bleach to clean them first then be sure to rinse or boil to remove all traces of bleach, soak for a day in strong dechlorinator and stick them in. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Filter wool in any petshop should be available for peanuts anyway (about a fiver for a fairly large tub last time I bought some)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

cheers guys, i bit the bullet and bought some ceramic media for the bottom two trays and put pillow floss into the top one, not sure about the floss though as the flow dosent seem to be all that strong, will experiment over the weekend and see if i can figure it out

Advertisement