Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train to Dublin

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

For a Saturday up and Sunday down fare is €21.99 each way good? Its cheaper than a tank of petrol anyway I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Aircoach or GoBE will do the return trip for less than the train single fare; same travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Not bad compared to the usual rip off prices... but what's the catch?!

Bussin it all the way to dublin isn't pleasant, even if Aircoach have nice buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Only did it once (normally drive), but I can't see how it would be any more unpleasant than the train TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the only "catch" is that you must book at least 3 days in advance and you can only travel on the train you book (and theres a 2 euro admin fee for credit card bookings).

I did the train and bus (aircoach) from Cork - Dublin a few weeks back.

Bus was grand. Its as cramped as a bus normally is. I'm not tall so thats not an issue for me really.
    Bus drops you right at o connell bridge so a positive for it. And at a shade over 3 hours its probably a shade quicker than the train from city centre to city centre.
    Waiting in the rain on the quays in Cork wasnt particularily pleasant but nothing a brolly didnt sort out!

Train also was grand. More space in general, but as is standard on Irish trains poxy seats dont recline. If you are getting dropped/ collected in Dublin the train is nearly handier than the bus as getting picked up at o connell bridge is far from a straight forward matter if you have bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The last time I got the bus the driver was acting the fool tailgating other cars and driving agressivley. I could not handle that caper..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Impossible to beat the train for comfort and reliability. Often go up on the 7.30 and down on the 5.00 - only 2hrs30 each way - you can get a Luas add on for €1.60 which saves time queuing for a ticket at Heuston

Advertisement