Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours who won't spay their cat... kittens everywhere

• 20-09-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Just over a year ago a family moved into a Social Housing unit on our road.
    They had 2 dogs and a cat, and within a week the 2 dogs had "strayed" and they didn't seem to give a fiddlers. I don't really talk to them, but did admire their cat one day, and later on the woman came over to my door with a tiny kitten about 4 weeks old and asked did I want it as 'the others have homes'. (doubht that very much- i'd say they strayed or worse).

It was a tiny kitten too young to be re-homed. I still have her and love her to bits, along with another cat I have had 8 yrs. 2 cats was a good balance.

Over the past year and a bit, that poor female mammy cat of theirs has had 4 litters i can count... and i don't know where the kittens go, they are allowed run around the estate until they 'disappear' if you ask me. I don't really speak to this woman, but she asked me 2 weeks ago did i want a kitten, I said no, yet 2 days later at 2am in the morning there was a kitten crying outside , I had to take it in, and my sons have fallen in love with him, even though i never intended to keep 3 cats.

My point is what can I do to stop this family allowing their outdoor (we live in an estate) cat reproducing several times a year?
    My children and I have already been threatned by the man she is currently living with for asking their kids to keep the noise level down. I am here 16 yrs, and don't want any trouble. I would pay for the cat to be neutered myself but am not in such a position to do so financially. Breaks my heart to see that cat out in all weathers, heavily pregnant :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You could "borrow" their cat and have it neutered yourself....

Not that I'm advocating such behavior but, if they won't do it you might better off to (assuming you can afford it etc etc)

If i was in your shoes that'd be my course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

might be worth contacting the ISPCA? They could visit her for a chat and help her get the cat neutered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Slight hijack but is there a poison or similar you can use to get rid* of cats that won't stay out of gardens.

*for any definition of rid

MOD NOTE: Tunney banned for contravening the forum charter. Advocating ways of killing pets on this forum will not be tolerated.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

tunney wrote: »
    Slight hijack but is there a poison or similar you can use to get rid* of cats that won't stay out of gardens.

*for any definition of rid

Poison is a no no and will get you a pile of abuse here (deservedly so). It could also get you prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

There are plenty of options out there to stop (i presume) a cat pooping in your garden. Off the top of my head anything citrusy will work as cats don't like citrus, you could try a few types of chilli powders as well (I use chilli to stop my cats digging in my plants)

A dog would work for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Poison is a no no and will get you a pile of abuse here (deservedly so). It could also get you prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

There are plenty of options out there to stop (i presume) a cat pooping in your garden. Off the top of my head anything citrusy will work as cats don't like citrus, you could try a few types of chilli powders as well (I use chilli to stop my cats digging in my plants)

A dog would work for a start.

Allowing glorified rodents roam free would be a no no in my book too.

Will find something.

Mod note: Tunney banned for serious breach of forum charter. Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Allowing glorified rodents roam free would be a no no in my book too.

Will find something.

I was asking for help with a serious issue, I don't appreciate your tone or your evil psycho cat killing ways. Trying hard to remain civil.

Thanks to all posters except the obvious one for your replies.
    Unfortunately , I could not afford to neuter her/ transport her to the vets.
    The family are trouble and have junkies an alsorts traipsing in there day and night.
    Was trying to get in touch w a friend from cats aid for advice but shes not home.
    Tbh i would be afraid to go near their house, they are always looking out the window. Pity there are no 'animal wardens' as opposed to 'dog wardens'. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

zef wrote: »
    My children and I have already been threatned by the man she is currently living with for asking their kids to keep the noise level down. I am here 16 yrs, and don't want any trouble. I would pay for the cat to be neutered myself but am not in such a position to do so financially. Breaks my heart to see that cat out in all weathers, heavily pregnant :mad:

Is there any groups in your area that would do the neuter and cover the cost? There are more and more popping up on facebook, neutering feral cats, Im sure under the circumstances they would make the exception. Or Blue Cross?

It's awful to think of animals being left in these conditions, but you have to think about your family too, your neighbours don't sound like the nicest of folks. :(

Hi, I am hoping a friend from Cats Aid will get the cost down to the 30-40 e mark.
    I don't use facebook (sorry not being smart!)
    I rang a number for the blue cross - you have to ring now on a sat between 12-1 or something odd (dont quote me on that) probably to sort out genuine cases from the ppl just looking for cheap neutering. I am saving up myself to get the last kitten neutered which was dumped behind my house.
    The mummy cat has brand new kittens. She is not allowed sleep in with them at night, kittens left inside for small kids to 'play with'.
    Don't think this family should own any cats, most of her kids are in care already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What if you called around and offered to bring her to get neutered. While neutering seems like the most basic concept to animal lovers, there are many MANY people unfortunately who have no cop on.Its scary really. I took 2 kittens out of a filthy house in north dublin 2 years ago. The house was so dirty, even the kids werent fit to live there let alone the cats. I calmly asked the 2 parents on leaving would they consider neutering the cat. Their reply was "whaaaas thaaaa, sure weeee've no money fer dat kinda ting???"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Both the DSPCA & CatsAid have a " spay the stray" programme; the CatAid have a come-out-and-catch-and-neuter-and-return programme; I think it's free; the DSPCA s similar one costs about thirty quid.

The problem you might have is that all the " stray" little kittens, if the poor things survive, will both become feral and also bs breeding, not vaccinated & probably diseased; poor yokes.

If the neighbours are such scumbags I'd be going ahead & getting the DSPCA involved ; they've a bit more recognition than CatsAid & so might have more clout & ability to deal with "dah naybours".
    I'd also try ringing the landlord and the council : perhaps keeping as many cats is against their lease, and the feral issue is a H& S issue - with kids around both in the rented house & yours, you might get something done if you write & notify them & ask for a written response.

Shocking stuff - feel very sorry for you :(

Advertisement