Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smog warnings from Met Eireann.

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I remember around 15 or 20 years ago Met Eireann use to have to issue smog warnings during any calm nights during the winter months.They were able to stop issuing them when better quality coal was being used by people in the mid-90's and when more people got electric fire places too i bet.I have noticed in the last year or 2 that smog is becoming an issue again as people are now again buying low quality coal as its cheaper etc.Its not as bad as 20 years ago when i remember doing a paper round with my brother and having scarves over our faces and sometimes having to stop and go in home as it was really difficult to breathe.Already in the last week i was walking through Galway City and at certain points there was again that awfull smoggy smell in a few places,it sticks to your clothes too which is also annoying.Its probably not bad enough yet for Met Eireann to start issuing them again but i do plan to email them if it does get worse during this winter.Is smog an issue where any of you live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thing is people are buying the "smoky" coal outside the banned area, cause imo the smokeless coal is crap, bringing it into the banned area and the breaking of the law is not being enforced.

Whatever happens these days will likely be far too localised for forecasting. I was unlucky enough the other night to be at a friend's hourse when 3 of the closest 4 houses were burning what must have been the dirtiest coal in the history of the world, reminded me of getting home late after school in January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The reek of cheap coal is more pronounced in Galway than at any time for 20 years. I think they should...yes.

They may need particle detectors in eg Phoenix Park and there is no Galway station any more so it should be in NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its pretty bad around some estates in Galway City and even in places like Salthill where you'd think those people could afford the dearer stuff but like someone said the smokeless coal is'nt the best so alot of people are buying the "better" but dirtier stuff.I'd be curious to hear from people living in other Urban area's around the country,is it bad there aswell?I might email Met Eireann see what they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is cat around Westside, not as cat as it used to be but heading that way. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tphase

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They may need particle detectors in eg Phoenix Park and there is no Galway station any more so it should be in NUIG
    there is a monitoring station near the Bodkin roundabout, near-realtime data plots available here. You can see how it compares with background levels here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thing is people are buying the "smoky" coal outside the banned area, cause imo the smokeless coal is crap, bringing it into the banned area and the breaking of the law is not being enforced.
    law is that u cannot sell it inside the ban area but it is not against the law to burn it inside ban area so u could buy it outside ban area and burn it inside and u wont be breaking the law. madness i know
    but the law is changing next may to ban the burning and selling of it in a ban area.

i deliver coal and have been stoped several times to check that im not carrying smokey coal on board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It should be totally illegal.
    Whatever about the cost, it's absolutely nightmarish for anyone with respiratory problems.
    No doubt the rise in gas and electricity prices will have more people lighting open fires again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Solair wrote: »
    Whatever about the cost

Cost is a big deal to those with very little to live on.

Cost is a big deal to those with very little to live on.

So is breathing for those with asthma!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Solair wrote: »
    So is breathing for those with asthma!

True, so therefore we should make the cheaper fuel illegal so the less well off in this country can freeze to death in their own homes in the winter. OR, we could just lower the price of the cleaner stuff.. though I admit that is a bit, like, way out radical. :)

A little balancing tax incentive could sort out the price difference.

Advertisement