Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any protestants in NI that feel Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

My poll would seem to contradict this

This is a poll from 2010 that shows similar 55% -45% split...

And that would be outweighed by the no vote majority in the North...

http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/02/20/leinster-says-no/

That is a separate poll by a private company....

And the majority of DUblin people said no there was a 53 % no in Dublin

A poll taken in Dublin does not represent the country as a whole, rural and the border region areas could differ completely.
    marienbad wrote: »
    For certain they would vote against , probably under the guise that the economic climate makes the timing wrong to ease few if any misgivings . And even more certain with younger voters - Just my opinion .

I'm a young voter at 21... we can agree to differ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Granted, it might have fell but are you really saying the majority of people in the south would vote to prevent the unification of this country.

Yes in Dublin it is 53%

In a poll in 2010 only 55% for the WHOLE of the republic would vote yes...

And that was two whole years ago and things in the North have escalated beyond what we thought was possible to return to.

I would say you would not get even half in the Rep now ....

But even with this 55% the NO vote in the north would outweigh it if you took the two electorates as a whole which i assume is what you want.

And this poll was two years ago...the north has become much more violent and we are much more broke...

I would wager the vote would be much worse for a no vote

http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/02/20/leinster-says-no/

I remember one newer poll from somewhere ..i shall try to find it

But i thought the Dublin Figure was interesting...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 JaffaCakes.

Seaneh wrote: »
    There is not Catholic controled state on this island and claim there is show you up for the idiot you are.

The issue isn't religion and never ****ing has been.

It's gorgraphical and ethnic and always will be.

a government foreign to this island controls 1/5th of this island and as long as it does, against the wishes of the majority of people on this island, it won't ever be accepted.
    We are talking about when the Northern Irish state was created and the Protestant people in Ulster created a 6 county state to help run for themselves and not be controlled by Dublin and Rome rule.

What you find so offensive about that is beyond me. Not everyone wanted to be ruled by the Catholic controlled Irish Republic. Time to accept that and accept that a people broke away and formed their own state. And it still exists today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

For certain they would vote against , probably under the guise that the economic climate makes the timing wrong to ease few if any misgivings . And even more certain with younger voters - Just my opinion .

It's not that long ago in pre-Celtic Tiger days that Fine Gael thought as you did - 1997 - and publicly questioned the right of an Irishwoman born on the northern side of the border to become President of Ireland. That woman, specifically following that tarnishing by Owen and Bruton, won a landslide among the electorate of independent Ireland.

Say what you will, the electorate in independent Ireland clearly deems an Irish person born in Down to be as Irish as an Irish person born in, say, Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

A poll taken in Dublin does not represent the country as a whole, rural and the border region areas could differ completely.

Yeah- but you seem to care about the issue - most don't , not really. As the man said ''its the economy stupid'' , ( not saying you are stupid mind you) .

The poll WAS of the whole of the rep of Ire....but it gave breakdowns of the vote

AS A WHOLE IN 2010

55% vrs 45% voted yes in the REP

IN DUBLIN 53% vrs 47% voted no ..THATS WHAT I AM SAYING

And IT STILL means a no vote for the whole island and you know this

And that was two years ago before the terrible events in the North over the summer and the worst of our economic downturn

So in 2010 the majority of the island votes no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Seanchai wrote: »
    It's not that long ago in pre-Celtic Tiger days that Fine Gael thought as you did - 1997 - and publicly questioned the right of an Irishwoman born on the northern side of the border to become President of Ireland. That woman, specifically following that tarnishing by Owen and Bruton, won a landslide among the electorate of independent Ireland.

Say what you will, the electorate in independent Ireland clearly deems an Irish person born in Down to be as Irish as an Irish person born in, say, Kerry.

What has any of this to do with what I said ?

Agreed it is certain they would vote no.

If anyone has seen what has just happened in the north over the past two years ...certainly it would be less that 50%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 JaffaCakes.

You see your argument doesn't make sense on so many levels, you can turn it around the other way too, why should the republicans in the north be ruled from London as to the wishes of a tiny minority on this Island? Why could'nt they live the normal traditional rural way of life like thousands of others down south if they were governed from Dublin?

Its not like we would go up and throw them off the land and change their way of life completely, they are still Irish men, woman and children only from a different tradition.
    Republicans had a state which was perfectly set up for them. It was Catholic and it was Republican. The Northern Irish state was a Protestant state for a Protestant people with Unionist politics.

Obviously that has changed but both states still exist and both still have a very different way of doing things, socially and culturally. Both states are very much different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

JaffaCakes. banned.

Re-reg.

• Advertisement

Republicans had a state which was perfectly set up for them. It was Catholic and it was Republican. The Northern Irish state was a Protestant state for a Protestant people with Unionist politics.

Obviously that has changed but both states still exist and both still have a very different way of doing things, socially and culturally. Both states are very much different.

That is actually very insightful.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

darlett wrote: »
    Go home to Poland if its so important to you ya

I am Irish.

It is Russian. You fail on so many levels.

I speak Russian, German and French.

Вы расистских невежественным дураком.

Sie sind ein Rassist unwissenden Narren.

Vous êtes un raciste ignorant.

Interesno zametitʹ, chto sektantskaya neterpimostʹ sushchestvuyet po etu storonu granitsy tozhe.

No, it is you who fail. I was referring to your obsession to polls to fight your battles. And so you reported my post on the basis of racism perhaps? You can insult me in 4 languages, but cant understand a joke in one.

Banned now I guess.

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-there-be-a-united-ireland-157741-Jun2011/

73 % say not to a united Ireland under current circumstances

No, it is you who fail. I was referring to your obsession to polls to fight your battles. And so you reported my post on the basis of racism perhaps? You can insult me in 4 languages, but cant understand a joke in one.

Banned now I guess.

Actually it is not a battle and it is reality and facts that i refer to.

How else do you ascertain them?

And how am i fighting a battle? I am arguing a point.
    The 1999-2000 European Values Survey, just 54 per cent of people favoured unity. (Am trying to find the results for the most recent one)

That was 13 years ago. It is an independant survey carried out accross the EU so i would say it is reliable.

What you said was meant entirely in the way i took it. And it was offensive.

Anyway the Good Friday Agreement states that separate refs must be held in the North and the South.

A united Ireland can only be achieved through the wish of the people of Northern Ireland through a democratically expressed consent through a referendum. This must be expressed separately in both jurisdictions.

So if the North alone does not want it thats it.

It is a part of the amendments we made and a part of the good friday agreement that both peoples voted for.

Any party or govt that attempted to go against this would be VERY dangerous to this nation.

We cosented to seperate polling on this issue democratically in both jurisdictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Seaneh wrote:

In fact, there has always been a lot of Protestants in high level civil service jobs in the Republic.

Where as, the reverse wasn't allowed in the north.

Yes it was. I always love these sweeping statements. One day, someone might believe one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

And how am i fighting a battle? I am arguing a point.

What you said was meant entirely in the way i took it. And it was offensive.

'Fight your battles' is merely a turn phrase. I wasnt accusing you of having a sword. Ok so you are arguing points not battles.

Do you really think I looked at T.I.V. and thought, oh thats a Polish person(as opposed to any other national), please return home...? Ive given the frankly quite simple explanation about why Poland was used but if you prefer to take it as you read it and which I guess led to mod rapping me on my boardsie knuckles, I guess thats final so Ill remain a racist and you can be permanently offended by it.

Before I am to get into more trouble in this thread, I would simply put the question to you then, do you think an actual referendum in the North would give a similar result as the poll which had a 73% vote no to a United Ireland? If not, does that not undermine the use of polls and the points they make?

Thats it I'm out. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Who cares.....so long as that partition stays up...let them feel French if they feel like it.

I want the Rep to remain 26 counties ....

We are Irish they are not.....simple...

Do they feel a part of our people?

Do they look on us kindly or as kin?

What utter nonsense. Who are you to say that people in the 26 counties are Irish and people in the 6 counties are not Irish?

What utter nonsense. Who are you to say that people in the 26 counties are Irish and people in the 6 counties are not Irish?

Totally agree with your post, Both unionists and nationalists in the North are every much as Irish as someone from Cork or Kerry, just because we don't agree with their political viewpoint doesn't mean they are less Irish then us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

'Fight your battles' is merely a turn phrase. I wasnt accusing you of having a sword. Ok so you are arguing points not battles.

Do you really think I looked at T.I.V. and thought, oh thats a Polish person(as opposed to any other national), please return home...? Ive given the frankly quite simple explanation about why Poland was used but if you prefer to take it as you read it and which I guess led to mod rapping me on my boardsie knuckles, I guess thats final so Ill remain a racist and you can be permanently offended by it.

Before I am to get into more trouble in this thread, I would simply put the question to you then, do you think an actual referendum in the North would give a similar result as the poll which had a 73% vote no to a United Ireland? If not, does that not undermine the use of polls and the points they make?

Thats it I'm out. Peace.
    why would a turkey vote for christmas

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    why would a turkey vote for christmas

Santa ..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

bilston wrote: »
    I understand perfectly the idea behind the Tricolour, it was undoubtedly well intentioned...but it's been hijacked by the IRA and SF and therefore it's not something I can buy into.

The Soldiers Song (sorry I don't speak Irish and wouldn't want to offend anyone by attempting to spell it by it's proper name!) I would have no issue with, however an English verse thrown in for good measure probably wouldn't go amiss. I couldn't even sing it if I wanted to! In saying that I haven't an English translation of the anthem so I'm not sure what it even says!

I know I'm a bit late responding to this, but AFAIK Peader Kearney wrote the original lyrics in English in 1907, and it was not translated to into Irish for nearly a decade.

Only the chorus is sung as the National Anthem.

The Soldier's Song
    We’ll sing a song, a soldier’s song
    With cheering rousing chorus
    As round our blazing fires we throng
    The starry heavens o’er us
    Impatient for the coming fight
    And as we await the morning’s light
    Here in the silence of the night
    We’ll chant a soldier’s song
    Chorus... Soldiers are we,
    whose lives are pledged to Ireland,
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave,
    Sworn to be free,
    no more our ancient sireland,
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
    Tonight we man the "bearna baoil",[fn 4]
    In Erin’s cause, come woe or weal,
    ’Mid cannon’s roar and rifles’ peal,
    We’ll chant a soldier's song

In valley green, on towering crag
    Our fathers fought before us
    And conquered ’neath the same old flag
    That’s proudly floating o’er us
    We’re children of a fighting race
    That never yet has known disgrace
    And as we march, the foe to face
    Chorus...Soldiers are we...

Sons of the Gael! Men of the Pale!
    The long-watched day is breaking
    The serried ranks of Inisfail
    Shall set the tyrant quaking
    Our camp fires now are burning low
    See in the east a silv’ry glow
    Out yonder waits the Saxon foe
    So chant a soldier’s song

fn4 bearna baoil is Irish for "gap of danger"

Speedsie wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit late responding to this, but AFAIK Peader Kearney wrote the original lyrics in English in 1907, and it was not translated to into Irish for nearly a decade.

Only the chorus is sung as the National Anthem.

The Soldier's Song
    We’ll sing a song, a soldier’s song
    With cheering rousing chorus
    As round our blazing fires we throng
    The starry heavens o’er us
    Impatient for the coming fight
    And as we await the morning’s light
    Here in the silence of the night
    Chorus... Soldiers are we,
    whose lives are pledged to Ireland,
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave,
    Sworn to be free,
    no more our ancient sireland,
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
    Tonight we man the "bearna baoil",[fn 4]
    In Erin’s cause, come woe or weal,
    ’Mid cannon’s roar and rifles’ peal,
    We’ll chant a soldier's song

In valley green, on towering crag
    Our fathers fought before us
    And conquered ’neath the same old flag
    That’s proudly floating o’er us
    We’re children of a fighting race
    That never yet has known disgrace
    And as we march, the foe to face

Sons of the Gael! Men of the Pale!
    The long-watched day is breaking
    The serried ranks of Inisfail
    Shall set the tyrant quaking
    Our camp fires now are burning low
    See in the east a silv’ry glow
    Out yonder waits the Saxon foe
    So chant a soldier’s song

fn4 bearna baoil is Irish for "gap of danger"

I wonder if the country was ever to reunited would Ireland's call become the national anthem or would an English/Irish amhran na bhfiann be accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I wonder if the country was ever to reunited would Ireland's call become the national anthem or would an English/Irish amhran na bhfiann be accommodated.

I must admit 'Irelands Call' gets me more uplifted than 'Amhran na Bhfiann' ever did - besides its less sexist:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

They want to be....in every poll...nationalists prefer it ..really they don't like dublin...really

Truly they want to be a part of the UK

And they are ruled from stormont ....with consent from Westminster

To be honest you are fighting a lost cause

The majority of this Island wants northern Ireland to remain a part of the UK.

Northern Irish nationalists want it too as a majority.

The partition suits the Rep and is best for us leave it LEAVE US ALONE IN DUBLIN!:-)

Is english your first language?

Madam wrote: »
    I must admit 'Irelands Call' gets me more uplifted than 'Amhran na Bhfiann' ever did - besides its less sexist:)

I never really liked Ireland's call until "that" match in Croke Park against England, there was many a tear shed that day for both Irish anthems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Stinicker wrote: »
    They are Irish whether they like it or not and they cannot escape this as they live in Ireland. Northern Ireland is an artificial commodity created by the partition of the island. It is a political oddity.

By that measure any born in N.Ire is British.

And you know that's not true either.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Exactly. You wouldn't just carve off a wee section of Cork and ask them, much like how a wee section of Ireland was carved off and only those within it asked. Once again your own argument has proved my point.
    Regarding everything else you wrote it has been rebutted already and there is absolutely no point in engaging with it seeing as you continue to just make the same (incorrect) point over and over that England's claim over Ireland is/was some sort of God-given natural right.
    lol you say i'm proving your argument but you're only proving mine. Ireland was a region of the UK Just like Cork is a region of Ireland. You say when the majority of people in Ireland wanted independence the British should have given up Northern Ireland as well. But why? The unionist people where mainly concentrated in the north east of the country. I much better solution was to give nationalists the independence they wanted while keeping unionists in the country. Why take Ireland as one block? Sure it was one country within the UK but countries can be divided. It happens all the time during war.
    p.oconnor wrote:
    What the hell were the British doing so before 1920's in the republic, calling over for the craic? the British government occupied the island and were ultimately forced to come to an arrangement over the 26 counties, they continue to occupy the north and use an ad hoc version of democracy to keep the peace between both sides of the divide. I'm sure if the rest of the UK were given a vote they would vote to unite the country, a better man then me once said "ireland unfree shall never be at peace".
    Repeating the same lie again and again doesn't make it true. You can't "occupy" your own country.
    woodoo wrote:
    Ireland was viewed as one country within the union just like England Scotland and Wales. Are you saying that if Scotland decided to leave the union then the unionist people in western Scotland should have the right to split Scotland. What if the people of Tyrone and Derry wanted to leave NI do you think they should be allowed do it? Or do you view NI as one voting block i.e a Country..just like Ireland was within the union (before the gerrymandering).
    Well I don't know too much about Scottish demographics but yes. If the vast majority of Scottish unionists live within a demarcated territory in the west then of course that region should be allowed to maintain their ties with the union. why shouldn't they? Scotland is one country now but as I said earlier in this post countries can be split up.

Similarly if Tyrone and Derry truly do want to join the republic then yes. I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to. Provided the UK is willing to give them up and we are willing to take them.

Stinicker wrote: »
    They are Irish whether they like it or not and they cannot escape this as they live in Ireland. Northern Ireland is an artificial commodity created by the partition of the island. It is a political oddity.
    lol funny how one could say the same thing replacing Irish with British. Honestly partition was 90 years ago. Why do you even care? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

woodoo wrote: »
    I think the ulster scot thing is ridiculous. What next, munster scots, or leinster welsh, connaught english. These provinces are all part of Ireland. Irish provinces. They can't escape Irishness. Irish & British or British & Irish. Irish, Northern Irish there is Irish in all people of this island.

There was many plantations in Leinster & Munster,.Offaly & Laois (Kings & Queens counties) were planted by English catholics during Mary & Phillips reign. Kilkenny was planted by English catholics during James & Charles I reigns. Many parts of Munster were also planted by English protestants.

Irish clans were driven off their lands in North Wexford, Carlow & parts of Wicklow in the early 1600's & the best land was given to English soldiers & settlers.

South Wexford was left alone, although still majority catholic many of the people were descendants of Normans, English, Flemish & Welsh.

During the later Cromwell wars most English catholic planter families allied with Irish Confederates against the New Model Army.

So South Leinster (& East Waterford county ) could claim to be "Leinster / Munster English" in the same way as Ulster Scots :pac:

Oh God I disagree totally. Ireland's call is a terrible song.

• Advertisement

As an Irish person..they both suck...sorry 'Ireland's Call' is pants ...so is 'Amhran na Bhfiann' ..Tá sé bríste freisin.

Lets have something kick ass like Carimina Burana O Fortuna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWpZ-Y_KvU

Imagine THAT before sports events:D :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Oh God I disagree totally. Ireland's call is a terrible song.

Irelands Call can be sung with gusto by each and every Irish man woman and child, be they Nationalist or Unionist every Irish person can sing Irelands Call knowing that nobody is going to be upset or annoyed, and that is its great strength as a rousing anthem for Ireland as a whole.

Amhran na Bhfiann on the other hand just cannot be sung by Unioinists, as it goes totally against the grain (to put it mildly), and God knows its difficult enough for many non unionists to get past the 1st couple of lines anyway, before mumbling along to the tune without really knowing many of the words . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

LordSutch wrote: »
    Irelands Call can be sung with gusto by each and every Irish man woman and child, be they Nationalist or Unionist every Irish person can sing Irelands Call knowing that nobody is going to be upset or annoyed, and that is its great strength as a rousing anthem for Ireland as a whole.

Amhran na Bhfiann on the other hand just cannot be sung by Unioinists, as it goes totally against the grain (to put it mildly), and God knows its difficult enough for many non unionists to get past the 1st couple of lines anyway, before mumbling along to the tune without really knowing many of the words . . .
    I agree that we need a national anthem in English. But honestly, Ireland's call is a terrible tune. Whether that means we start singing Amhran na Bhfiann in English or come up with a totally new tune I honestly don't care.

On a lighter note this song is available. :D

I agree that we need a national anthem in English. But honestly, Ireland's call is a terrible tune. Whether that means we start singing Amhran na Bhfiann in English or come up with a totally new tune I honestly don't care.

On a lighter note this song is available. :D

Why on Earth would we need an anthem in English

Why on Earth would we need an anthem in English
    So we can sing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

So we can sing it.

Learn the words in the language they are written if you want to sing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

AEDIC wrote: »

wasn't it written in English originally!

It was written in english. :rolleyes:

wasn't it written in English originally!

What language is it in now? Unless you have a time machine?

For the hard of thinking I have highlighted the important part from my original post below

'Learn the words in the language they are written if you want to sing it.'

• Advertisement

So we can sing it.

I can sing it just fine. No harm in putting a wee bit of effort into learning your national anthem

I can sing it just fine. No harm in putting a wee bit of effort into learning your national anthem
    You are not the irish people. The majority can't and that's unsatisfactory. An irish version can still exist of course but it shouldn't be the official version.

For the hard of thinking I have highlighted the important part from my original post below

The song was written in english and translated later. The irish version was then adopted as the official version. That was a mistake. We should have a song everyone can sing with words everyone can understand.

You are not the irish people. The majority can't and that's unsatisfactory. An irish version can still exist of course but it shouldn't be the official version.

How very nice of you to allow it :rolleyes:

'The song was written in english and translated later. The irish version was then adopted as the official version. That was a mistake. We should have a song everyone can sing with words everyone can understand.'

errr we have one...it's just that some people are too lazy (or incapable) to learn it. The thousands of new citizens into Ireland every year seem to have no trouble in learning it if the number speaking As Gaeilge are any indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Post #284 sums it up nicely.

errr we have one...it's just that some people are too lazy (or incapable) to learn it. The thousands of new citizens into Ireland every year seem to have no trouble in learning it if the number speaking As Gaeilge are any indication.
    Not some. The majority. The situation we have at the moment is unacceptable. Sure you could say everyone should speak irish but that's not realistically going to happen.

It wouldn't take long to write a new anthem, nor would it be expensive. We could tie it in without the need for a referendum should labour's plan for a new constitution come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I've no interest in learning it, I don't go to gaa or international sports, I was just saying it was written in English originally.

The whole nationalistic thing in every country never interested me, it's just something invented by the ruling class to keep people down, just another form of the divide and conquer.

Not some. The majority. The situation we have at the moment is unacceptable. Sure you could say everyone should speak irish but that's not realistically going to happen.

It wouldn't take long to write a new anthem, nor would it be expensive. We could tie it in without the need for a referendum should labour's plan for a new constitution come to fruition.

Why would (although imho more should) everyone need to speak Irish to learn the National Anthem? You are talking about learning and repeating lines of text that never change and is less than 60 lines long.

Hardly the As Gailge version of War and Peace now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

Post #284

Post #284 sums it up nicely.

Does this qualify as reposting? :p
    BAN HIM ! :pac:

I've no interest in learning it, I don't go to gaa or international sports, I was just saying it was written in English originally.

The whole nationalistic thing in every country never interested me, it's just something invented by the ruling class to keep people down, just another form of the divide and conquer.

Good grief. Hopefully the chip on your other shoulder is just as big otherwise you might become a bit unbalanced ;)

• Advertisement

The song was written in english and translated later. The irish version was then adopted as the official version. That was a mistake. We should have a song everyone can sing with words everyone can understand.

Neither are you the Irish people and just because you cant sing it doesn't mean most people cant. I sincerely doubt the majority cant sing it, is i not taught in most schools? Not to mention that anyone with any link to the GAA will probably know it as it is played at all matches. What are you basing that assertion on?

Advertisement