Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any protestants in NI that feel Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

jausus gallag, you'd put a paddy in charge of 70 million? did u c what they did with 4 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jausus gallag, you'd put a paddy in charge of 70 million? did u c what they did with 4 million?

Well plenty of the Irish american paddys did well in charge of 280 million ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

gallag wrote: »
    I am a N.I Atheist from a protestant background, I fell strongly about being a proud Brit, I also love Ireland as my closest neighbors. People always look to history to help prop their agenda, but how far in history can we go, a long time ago we lived as one on one island, then Ireland separated but still our blood line is the same.
    I would only be happy with a United Ireland if it was an Ireland back in the u.k. the answer for the future is not separation and with a population of over 70 million, a kingdom of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales would weather the future well, image an Irish man or woman being prime minister.
    Totally respect your opinion and I have said throughout this thread you are every bit as Irish as me or the next man/woman from any of the 26 counties and are entitled to express your opinion on the future of this island.

That said I don't agree with your opinion, the idea of the Irish state reuniting with the UK is totally unrealistic, you have to remember there is many people still alive here who were born in an non democratic occupied Ireland, they and their generation built up this country from ground up and while it is not perfect especially in the current climate most Irish people have a quality of life equal to that of any part of the UK. ...... And the idea of an Irish prime minister head of the UK is scary... Can you imagine enda kenny head of the best navy/army in the world ... Scary thought :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I am a N.I Atheist from a protestant background
    Ah a Protestant atheist so. Don't believe in the whole religious bull but marching to/from a church is still an important part of your 'identity'
    I would only be happy with a United Ireland if it was an Ireland back in the u.k. the answer for the future is not separation and with a population of over 70 million, a kingdom of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales would weather the future well, image an Irish man or woman being prime minister.
    Even with a United Ireland within the UK an Irish PM would never ever happen. You only need to look at the vitriol displayed in the press when a Scot, Gordon Brown, had the temerity to become PM. Little to do with his failings in office but more where he came from. Imagine the outcry if a 'Paddy' became PM!

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Willing to bet there's more Catholics in SI that feel 'british', as it were now if they could just specify whether that's Welsh, Scottish or english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There would be quite a number of people who would support that idea. Half of Dubin for a start :D. Where would the devolved government sit? and northern unionists would be a smaller entity within the whole of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I also love Ireland as my closest neighbors.

Where do you live then? Scotland? Wales?
    I would only be happy with a United Ireland if it was an Ireland back in the u.k.

That's not a UI. An Ireland united under British rule? Over my dead body.

Seriously.

Where do you live then? Scotland? Wales?[/I]

I think when he said he was an atheist from NI he meant Northern Ireland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Late post, and you are probably discussing something else now, but i'm on page two, so...

Who gives a fúck what Ian Paisley thinks?

I'll tell you one thing, im drinking many a pint the day that man dies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I am a N.I Atheist from a protestant background
    Ah a Protestant atheist so. Don't believe in the whole religious bull but marching to/from a church is still an important part of your 'identity'
    Even with a United Ireland within the UK an Irish PM would never ever happen. You only need to look at the vitriol displayed in the press when a Scot, Gordon Brown, had the temerity to become PM. Little to do with his failings in office but more where he came from. Imagine the outcry if a 'Paddy' became PM!
    I have never marched in my life and I believe religion is the ultimate evil, nothing but a tool to make men hate men.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    Who gives a fúck what Ian Paisley thinks?

I'll tell you one thing, im drinking many a pint the day that man dies

I certainly don't care what he says anyway but you have to realise there is a big % of the population of the North who do care what he says and hold him in high regard.

I will be indifferent when he does die, in all reality it won't make any difference to us down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I am a N.I Atheist from a protestant background, I fell strongly about being a proud Brit, I also love Ireland as my closest neighbors. People always look to history to help prop their agenda, but how far in history can we go, a long time ago we lived as one on one island, then Ireland separated but still our blood line is the same.
    Why a "kingdom" and not a republic??

Do we always need to have the state supporting the priveledged minority to a life of wealth and luxury just because of their bloodline.

Arthur Wellesley was born in Dublin wasn't he? he was PM in the early 1800's

I also love Ireland as my closest neighbors.

Where do you live then? Scotland? Wales?
    I would only be happy with a United Ireland if it was an Ireland back in the u.k.

That's not a UI. An Ireland united under British rule? Over my dead body.

Seriously.
    You are letting your hate cloud your vision.

I have never marched in my life and I believe religion is the ultimate evil, nothing but a tool to make men hate men.

gallag, I do understand your political persuasion is different to most of us down south but what are the major reasons why you would not vote for a united Ireland under Dublin rule? .... or is it tradition that would mean you would not vote for a UI under any circumstances?

Dotsey wrote: »
    Why a "kingdom" and not a republic??

Do we always need to have the state supporting the priveledged minority to a life of wealth and luxury just because of their bloodline.

Arthur Wellesley was born in Dublin wasn't he? he was PM in the early 1800's
    Having a monarchy is simply a positive for the economy, the actually sacrifice a lot and work pretty hard, I would not swap lives with them, probably because they have no real life. Any way, it's not like they are first knighting our women. No real negative.

Having a monarchy is simply a positive for the economy, the actually sacrifice a lot and work pretty hard, I would not swap lives with them, probably because they have no real life. Any way, it's not like they are first knighting our women. No real negative.

That is actually one thing that I could never see happening in the republic, no one should have a right to be born into privilege like that, everyone should be equal from a man sweeping the road to the Taoiseach of the country.

p.oconnor wrote: »

gallag, I do understand your political persuasion is different to most of us down south but what are the major reasons why you would not vote for a united Ireland under Dublin rule? .... or is it tradition that would mean you would not vote for a UI under any circumstances?
    Simply because Ireland will fail, it is to small and has limited opportunity and industry, Ireland's biggest export is people. I also believe Scotland would fail on its own, as would Wales and England. Strength in numbers, the future will not be easy. Why let millions of years of our ancestors growing together be ruined by a few hundred years of being shifty to each other.

Having a monarchy is simply a positive for the economy

An oft trotted out and dubious justification for archaic traditions and as cover for the obscene waste of money that is the German 'British' royals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Oh right, a compromise then. I'm sure we could find some descendants of the last high King of Tara somewhere. A united Ireland with its own constitutional monarchy. How about it?

Or what you actually mean to say,

Unionism = English Monarchism

• Advertisement

Having a monarchy is simply a positive for the economy

An oft trotted out and dubious justification for archaic traditions and as cover for the obscene waste of money that is the German 'British' royals.
    Yet the pope is king. Living a life as comfortable as any royal while really not giving a **** about 2500 people dying every day from no water, until one of them tries a condom, same as the church of England, nearly as much money as the Vatican, equally as stupid. Compared to this lot, the hard working royal family are diamonds.

Simply because Ireland will fail, it is to small and has limited opportunity and industry, Ireland's biggest export is people. I also believe Scotland would fail on its own, as would Wales and England. Strength in numbers, the future will not be easy. Why let millions of years of our ancestors growing together be ruined by a few hundred years of being shifty to each other.

Just because a country is small doesn't mean that it will fail, Ireland was run by crooks in the past and that's why we are in this state. Small countries can flourish look at Denmark, Holland, Finland, Sweden ... etc. are they all failures? ... Ireland will eventually recover, the foundations of the Irish economy are sound. An open, modern, educated country taking its place in Europe and alongside other world nations will mean this country will never fail.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Oh right, a compromise then. I'm sure we could find some descendants of the last high King of Tara somewhere. A united Ireland with its own constitutional monarchy. How about it?

Or what you actually mean to say,

Unionism = English Monarchism
    If that king will benefit the united kingdom of Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales then why not?

I am also not a royalist, when the negatives out way the positives then by-by.

If that king will benefit the united kingdom of Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales then why not?

Would an elected president not do the exact same thing?.... a man/woman elected by the people, for the people without the disgusting privilege....

Just because a country is small doesn't mean that it will fail, Ireland was run by crooks in the past and that's why we are in this state. Small countries can flourish look at Denmark, Holland, Finland, Sweden ... etc. are they all failures? ... Ireland will eventually recover, the foundations of the Irish economy are sound. An open, modern, educated country taking its place in Europe and alongside other world nations will mean this country will never fail.
    Some of them are failures, and geographically different to Ireland, others will still flourish because they have already built industrys and most of their citizens have not bailed. I am just guessing but I believe Ireland will need plenty more bail outs and the future might be rough.

Compared to this lot, the hard working royal family are diamonds.

Hepatitus is preferable to AIDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 belfast security

Interesting thread. Ive heard of both, and ive heard others say they feel like they do not belong to either! Stuck in Limbo maybe .........:D

Some of them are failures, and geographically different to Ireland, others will still flourish because they have already built industrys and most of their citizens have not bailed. I am just guessing but I believe Ireland will need plenty more bail outs and the future might be rough.

... you have to remember the Irish economy is almost completely dependent on exports (granted this is not ideal). If the world economy takes off, which it inevitably will have to in a year, two or three. You will see dramatic improvements over a short period of time when it does happen, exports of Irish goods will flourish to the UK, US, China, Russia etc...... You can believe what you want, just don't write us off yet.

Interesting thread. Ive heard of both, and ive heard others say they feel like they do not belong to either! Stuck in Limbo maybe .........:D

I said it before and il say it again .... Them protestants don't know what they want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 belfast security

I wonder how many Northern Irish protestants applied for an Irish passport recently? ;p

That would be the real answer to the question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its a shame that peoples nationality (seems to be) identified and divided by religion.

You Catholic, then you must be an Irish Nationalist.
    You Protestant, then you must be a British Unionist.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Its a shame that peoples nationality (seems to be) identified and divided by religion.

You Catholic, then you must be an Irish Nationalist.
    You Protestant, then you must be a British Unionist.

.... In general though it just happens to be the way it is but as we have seen on this thread there are many Catholic Unionists and Protestant republicans. I think most people realise its not as black an white as you set out.

You know, just sitting here thinking, what great motivation for the Irish to join up, dissolve the monarchy and become a republic, a true show that every Irish man, woman and child where truly equal, we shall call it the United republic of great Britain U.R.G.B or the United states of Great Britain U.S.G.B. you Irish would ****in love it, nuclear subs and aircraft carriers and loads of cool ****. Wee could even legalise weed, **** it who's in, sign up here.

You know, just sitting here thinking, what great motivation for the Irish to join up, dissolve the monarchy and become a republic, a true show that every Irish man, woman and child where truly equal, we shall call it the United republic of great Britain U.R.G.B or the United states of Great Britain U.S.G.B. you Irish would ****in love it, nuclear subs and aircraft carriers and loads of cool ****. Wee could even legalise weed, **** it who's in, sign up here.

.... take out the word Britain and we have a deal :)

... what about the United States of Ireland? .... we'll take the whole lot off ye.

And I know many will obviously love the idea, but just hate Britain to much to contemplate it, well sir I believe I can change your small mind. Close your eyes and imagine their was no G.B, you would just be a small island of the coast of France. A long time ago the French would have made yous their bitchs and today you would all be French. How can you hate the reason you are not smelly, work shy, surrender monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Do we get to use guillotines when we eh.....dissolve...the monarchy?

And I know many will obviously love the idea, but just hate Britain to much to contemplate it, well sir I believe I can change your small mind. Close your eyes and imagine their was no G.B, you would just be a small island of the coast of France. A long time ago the French would have made yous their bitchs and today you would all be French. How can you hate the reason you are not smelly, work shy, surrender monkeys.

... I do believe if GB didn't exist Ireland would not have been occupied for 700 years, how many past and recent problems would that have prevented then?

I see.

Tis a bigot you are.

Happyman42 wrote: »

Do we get to use guillotines when we eh.....dissolve...the monarchy?
    Only if you guys realize that every sperm is indeed not sacred, stop molesting children and kick the pope up the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Only if you guys realize that every sperm is indeed not sacred, stop molesting children and kick the pope up the arse.

getting your trolling in before you're banned again Keith?:rolleyes:

.... Or maybe we will leave the country the way it is. You can rightly fcuk off i'd prefer to keep it the way it is then let the likes of you call yourself Irish.

• Advertisement

... I do believe if GB didn't exist Ireland would not have been occupied for 700 years, how many past and recent problems would that have prevented then?
    There would be no Ireland without G.B, imagine being French man, this is serious ffs.

Happyman42 wrote: »

getting your trolling in before you're banned again Keith?:rolleyes:
    Keith? Just having a laugh bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Keith? Just having a laugh bud.

Mod

Don't post on this thread again.

.... Or maybe we will leave the country the way it is. You can rightly fcuk off i'd prefer to keep it the way it is then let the likes of you call yourself Irish.
    Right **** it, you can keep the pope but you have to kill jedward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Right **** it, you can keep the pope but you have to kill jedward.

Banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Banned

He did talk ****e, but one bit was right.

The French would have invaded Ireland, and probably the Spanish to get at England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

A long time ago the French would have made yous their bitchs and today you would all be French. How can you hate the reason you are not smelly, work shy, surrender monkeys.

You were never a good journalist in the first place Mr. Myers, but at least you used to at least try your best not to reveal to the world the true spanner that you truly are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Banned

Hang on, he at least has a point there in fairness, and I wasn't referring to the pope bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

That was quite funny tbh...

I love my Nordie bro's and sisters, prod/taig, wtf , labels and names get us no where.
    Its all a load of bollox and we all need to grow up and explore deep space TOGETHER etc...

I wonder how many contributes on this thread have actually met/integrated/ worked with folks of the other hue.

spoken as an Agnostic southern lapsed Catholic who works a lot with northern protestants all the time.

People are people, asshats are always asshats. north and south.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

i know a whole city full of irish catholics who do anything they can to avoid being irish and everything they can to be british- call their kids english names, wear english soccer jersys, ridicule anything irish like the games, language, music, etc. i live there and its called dublin!

Yeah, we should really be bursting forth from stony grey soil, clutching a hurley stick and rosary beads and spouting Peig from dawn til dusk to prove our credentials :D

Advertisement