Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old suzuki outboard

Options
  • 20-09-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Good Afternoon,

I am contemplating buying a 200hp suzuki engine, only thing is the owner doesnt know much about it..only that it is running well.

Would love if anybody could give me some info on it, for example year that particular model was manufactured..reliability etc?

The engine model/name is Suzuki DT 200.. I know that the newer Suzuki engine are class leading but havent got much info on these old ones?

Thanks in advance..

surf.php?u=4T3KfqmJJHJAIgbImrlPkNPyqHF%2B9RWctBKXvaB%2FzQrxMeuVQCslkOs%3D&b=29

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

get him to give you the model number off the tansom bracket and post it up here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi DAZP93 welcome, Like breghall said the engine number would be a great help as I think they were made between 86 and 2000.
    Reliability depends on how well it was looked after does it have a service history.
    Two things I would check are the compression and the lower gear oil for water if there is water in it it can be an expositive job to get fixed. The engine will still run if one of the cylinders is gone and you may not pick up on the difference in sound of the engine so test all cylinders they should be between 10% and 15% of easy other.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I would also check the cooling system. i have had two suzukis of this vintage and both had issues with the pilot hole getting blocked.

Thats not necessarily a major issue as most of the cooling water goes back down the leg or out the exhaust port but its worth checking. Its due to blockages where the waterways coming out he head meet the flexible hosing going to the pilot (pee) hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Thanks so much for all your replies..I went to take a look at the engine last night. It turns out that its from 1995 (quite old) but did a compression test just to be on the safe side and they all read between 11-15% which is realy great!

And Tin79 checked for the blockage problem and all is good..!

Got a rather good deal to IMO!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sounds good, I would still change the impeller before you head out on the water even if it's still pumping water they can break down quite suddenly if they are old or not been used in a while.
    Best of luck with her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement