Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I purchase my own router instead of a Vodafone model

• 20-09-2012 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

Short story.
    DSL has been going, going & is now gone.
    Engineer blames it on the router, says the line is perfect.
    Vodafone will supply a replacement for €20 but it resets the contract clock for another 12 months.

Can I purchase my own router & will it work once connected or do they need to be flashed with Vodafone's software first ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Yes buy another one. Any ADSL modem router will work.

Just make sure you buy a modem not just a router since you need to plug your phone cable into it.

Once you have it just it just ring up and get the settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Xcellor wrote: »
    Once you have it just it just ring up and get the settings.
    The settings are available here.

I'm using my own modem with Vodafone with no problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had problems like that with my Vodafone connection. Eventually I hit on a solution that might or might not work for you.

I turn off the whole computer and router off at night (at the power switch on the wall). Since I have done that I have had no real problems. (I have been doing it for over a year now).

Apparently, the link neeeds to rest for a while (like an hour) for some reason that I do not understand, but it has made a massive difference.

Hope that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Dr. Ego

Thank you so much for the replies above.
    I did a bit of googling after my query & came to the same conclusion but you have confirmed it.
    It's not the €20 for the new router that was bothering me, it was the 12 month contract reset especially with Sky coming into the market.

I'm a bit annoyed as my neighbour offered me 2 old routers about a month ago as he was throwing them in the bin & I let them go.
    Think I have another freebie sourced anyway.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I bought my own router- AirPort Extreme - use voda's modem with wifi disabled on the modem - works like a dream

• Advertisement
Advertisement