Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot up error - Wondows XP

• 20-09-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello,

Last night I went to turn on the PC and when it attempted to boot (Windows XP) this was one of the messages on the screen :

For Realtek RTL8118s/081695 Gigabit Ethernet
    PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M8F : Exiting PXE ROM.

Then it went back to the options for booting (Safe Mode, Start Windows normally, etc) When I selected one it just kept going on a loop back to these options.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

paulpd wrote: »
    Hello,

Last night I went to turn on the PC and when it attempted to boot (Windows XP) this was one of the messages on the screen :

For Realtek RTL8118s/081695 Gigabit Ethernet
    PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M8F : Exiting PXE ROM.

Then it went back to the options for booting (Safe Mode, Start Windows normally, etc) When I selected one it just kept going on a loop back to these options.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Sounds to me like a failing hard disk, I'd reccomend doing a backup of the stuff using the Ubuntu Live CD (Don't Install) if you can and then running a decent HDD scan such as vivard (available on the UBCD) to see if the hard disk is the culprit

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

Thanks a lot. Will try that later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

also before you do the scan, check that the hdd cable is connect right and make sure that you have no media in the cd tray or any usb devices or ethernet cables pluged into the pc, then go into your bios and make sure the hdd is the first bootup device and on exit set everything to the default values. boot up the pc to see if everything works out befoure you try ubcd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

Can you enter the bios Setup (methods vary by computer, check you screen during boot up for the correct key)

Check the order of the boot devices, it appears that your system is trying to boot from the network card.
    Try resetting the boot order to
    1 Hard Drive,
    2 CD-Rom,
    3 whatever options remain.

Advertisement