Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change machines - South Co Dublin

Options
  • 20-09-2012 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

There are a number of threads on this already but none recent, so thought I'd ask. Anyone know where there is a change-sorting machine in the south county dublin area?

There used to be one in Dunnes Cornelscourt and one in Spar Kilmacud Rd but they are both gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gone because they charge a large commission and people aren't so foolish with their money anymore. Go in to a bank and ask for some change bags and count it yourself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tesco Ballybrack has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Gone because they charge a large commission and people aren't so foolish with their money anymore. Go in to a bank and ask for some change bags and count it yourself. ;)

Unfortunately I'm extremely foolish with my money, hence the need to get a few quid together before payday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Rofo wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm extremely foolish with my money, hence the need to get a few quid together before payday ;)

For the sake of 30 minutes, I would do what MCMLXXV suggested. Grab some coin bags from the bank and do it yourself while sitting in front of the tv or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

There is one in Tesco nutgrove and Tesco tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

the shop in Sandyford hall used to have one, been a while since I was there so it could be well gone by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

Thanks for all the replies! I'll grab bags from the bank and hopefully will get time to bag them - if not it'll be over to Tesco in Ballybrack :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

these machines take a cut of either 9.9% or more often 12.5%.
    lets say you had €160 in coins, would you really want to give away 20 quid just to save a bit of counting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

these machines take a cut of either 9.9% or more often 12.5%.
    lets say you had €160 in coins, would you really want to give away 20 quid just to save a bit of counting?

I usually have around €80 when I do it and it's not just the counting, it's the trip to the bank as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Use them in the self-service machines in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BDJW wrote: »
    For the sake of 30 minutes, I would do what MCMLXXV suggested. Grab some coin bags from the bank and do it yourself while sitting in front of the tv or something!
    Or pay some kids to count it out, if you can trust them!

I often hear of people having had €500 or so, so they are paying about €50 in commission, effectively you are paying €50 for a 2minute use of a machine worth a few grand, the machine probably costs less than a car or decent arcade machine. Imagine forking out €50 for a go on an arcade game for 2mins.
    Mushy wrote: »
    I do this, even started a thread about it in bargain alerts. It is slow enough at counting. I grab a fistful of coins on my way out to tesco and get rid of about €5 at a time. You can dump them in and pay the balance with your credit card if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Mushy wrote: »

What a brilliant idea. I begrudge paying coin-counting machines and some banks refuse to take bags that are less than full so I've accumulated quite a bit of brass. Tesco here I come with my two-litre jug. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I've said something similar in another thread on the subject but manually counting coppers and bagging them is a counterproductive use of time in an attempt to save a few quid.
    ullu wrote:
    I'd hazard a guess and say it takes around an hour to sort through coppers and bag €15 worth. If you have €50, that's around three hours of work for a saving of €6.25 so you're effectively working for €2.08 an hour - roughly a quarter of the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Tesco here I come with my two-litre jug. :D
    It will jam up if you stick loads in. This was the thread I started before, 1 guy posts who services the machines, there is a green light that goes on when it is ready.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056668245

Advertisement