Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO cash lodgements?

Options
  • 20-09-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Are all your branches going to start refusing cash lodgements over the counter shortly?

I had a very rude woman in Tallaght branch telling me off for not having a bank account as i queued to get to the counter to make a lodgement. She said after a certain date i cant make a lodgement into a BOI account anymore.

Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi liger,

Apologies for your recent experience in the branch. I have forwarded your feedback to the Tallaght branch.

Our branch staff actively advise customers of other options available to them, even when they are not Bank of Ireland account holders. For example, having an account with Bank of Ireland so they may use the online banking or quick lodgement facilities, standing orders and direct debits. This is to make it easier for all customers using the branch.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Our branch staff actively advise customers of other options available to them, even when they are not Bank of Ireland account holders. For example, having an account with Bank of Ireland

Really? Getting a BOI account is an alternative option to not having a BOI account?

Also you didnt really answer my question. Are all your branches going to be declining cash lodgements over the counter?

And for a bit of background info. I dont have or need the extra cost of running a bank account, I got my money paid in cash, pay my bills in cash and the few euros left over live in my wallet, where they earn the same interest as in a current account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi liger,

Just to clarify, we will be accepting cash lodgements to BOI accounts from third parties over the counter.

Thanks for posting,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Hi liger,

Just to clarify, we will be accepting cash lodgements to BOI accounts from third parties over the counter.

Thanks for posting,
    Graham

Thanks graham,

I will be printing this off and taking it to the branch everytime I go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Just bumping this instead of starting a similar thread ,

I was in the Dunleer branch the other day and there are posters and leaflets stating that coming soon there will be no cash services available at the counter on Wednesdays or Thursdays .

The leaflet states that there will bo no lodgements , withdrawals , foreign currency , drafts etc. on those two days .

There will be ATM transactions only .

Is this only going to happen in some branches , or will it be rolled out throughout the entire network of branches ?

I know that you can lodge Irish cheques into the new lodgement machines , but what about foreign (.stg ) cheques ?

Will cheques still be accepted over the counter on those two days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I was in the Dunleer branch the other day and there are posters and leaflets stating that coming soon there will be no cash services available at the counter on Wednesdays or Thursdays .

The leaflet states that there will bo no lodgements , withdrawals , foreign currency , drafts etc. on those two days.

Sounds like they are putting the staff on a 3 day week.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Just bumping this instead of starting a similar thread ,

The leaflet states that there will bo no lodgements , withdrawals , foreign currency , drafts etc. on those two days .

There will be ATM transactions only .

Is this only going to happen in some branches , or will it be rolled out throughout the entire network of branches ?

I know that you can lodge Irish cheques into the new lodgement machines , but what about foreign (.stg ) cheques ?

Will cheques still be accepted over the counter on those two days ?

I would like an answer to this aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you on this thread.

Bank of Ireland recently re-affirmed that its national branch network remains and will continue to be an integral part of a multi-channel approach to serve and recruit personal and business customers in Ireland. We are also investing in technology (branch, mobile and online), in particular using electronic channels to migrate routine transactions from branches and further improve customer service and convenience.

This approach provides customer flexibility through technology and the most extensive Irish branch network, highly efficient provision of a comprehensive and competitive range of products and services and nationwide access to teams of trained and skilled staff who provide high quality advice to personal and business customers.

We have installed a new self-service lodgement device in Dunleer branch for business and personal customers which will accept cash or cheque lodgements conveniently five days a week.  Cash lodged in these new branch devices is immediately credited to the account and cheques are credited during the day, or by close of business at the latest.  The new machine will also print a copy of any cheques lodged on the customer’s receipt.  Unfortunately, the machine does not accept sterling or other foreign cheques as these foreign exchange transactions must be done at the branch counter. From next Monday, 1st October, cash services will be provided at the counter every Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

Thanks

Billy

Hi All,

We have installed a new self-service lodgement device in Dunleer branch for business and personal customers which will accept cash or cheque lodgements conveniently five days a week. Cash lodged in these new branch devices is immediately credited to the account and cheques are credited during the day, or by close of business at the latest. The new machine will also print a copy of any cheques lodged on the customer’s receipt. Unfortunately, the machine does not accept sterling or other foreign cheques as these foreign exchange transactions must be done at the branch counter. From next Monday, 1st October, cash services will be provided at the counter every Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

Thanks

Billy

Hi Billy ,
    I know that there is a lodgement machine in Dunleer .

I needed to withdraw money the other day , and the ATM outside was out of order , I had to queue in branch .
    What happens after October 1st if the ATM is offline on a Wednesday or Thursday ?
    Do customers get told to come back another day ?

Regarding cheques ,can you confirm whether or not that a Sterling cheque can be lodged on a Wednesday or Thursday .

Will this policy be rolled out to all branches or just some of them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi ninja 12,

Thanks for your query. If for whatever reason the ATM outside the branch is not working on a Wednesday or Thursday, there is another Bank of Ireland ATM located in the Centra on Main Street.

Regarding Sterling cheques, Billy has answered this in a previous post:
    Unfortunately, the machine does not accept sterling or other foreign cheques as these foreign exchange transactions must be done at the branch counter. From next Monday, 1st October, cash services will be provided at the counter every Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

Just to clarify you won't be able to lodge Sterling Cheques in the Dunleer branch on a Wednesday or Thursday after the 1st of October.

This will only be rolled out to a limited number of branches.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

When making cash deposits into accounts for which you don't have a card you can't use the automatic machines. It's really poor service to curtail the most basic of account transactions to two days a week.

Hi ninja 12,

Thanks for your query. If for whatever reason the ATM outside the branch is not working on a Wednesday or Thursday, there is another Bank of Ireland ATM located in the Centra on Main Street.

Regarding Sterling cheques, Billy has answered this in a previous post:
    Unfortunately, the machine does not accept sterling or other foreign cheques as these foreign exchange transactions must be done at the branch counter. From next Monday, 1st October, cash services will be provided at the counter every Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

Just to clarify you won't be able to lodge Sterling Cheques in the Dunleer branch on a Wednesday or Thursday after the 1st of October.

This will only be rolled out to a limited number of branches.

Thanks
    Pat

Thanks for clarifying this for me .

What about the Dundalk branch ?
    Will it be left as is or will these changes also apply .

Is there a list of branches that these changes apply to ?

Thanks

Tazium wrote: »
    When making cash deposits into accounts for which you don't have a card you can't use the automatic machines. It's really poor service to curtail the most basic of account transactions to two days a week.

I have to agree ,
    It's not very customer friendly .

A lot of people (older people especially ) would rather deal with a person than a machine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi ninja 12,

Thanks for your query.
    Thanks for clarifying this for me .

What about the Dundalk branch ?

Will it be left as is or will these changes also apply .

Is there a list of branches that these changes apply to ?

Thanks

This won't apply to all branches.
    The branches that it does apply to have leaflets and posters in branch, the same as the ones in Dunleer branch.

Thanks

Billy

Hi ninja 12,

Thanks for your query.

This won't apply to all branches.
    The branches that it does apply to have leaflets and posters in branch, the same as the ones in Dunleer branch.

Thanks

Billy

Thanks ,
    Is there a list online of the branches that the change does apply to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi ninja 12,

Information on days cashier services are available can be viewed online using our Branch Locator, under the Branch Services Update tab.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I like to deal with people, not machines. These machines deserve to go the route of those voting machines. My view of what is happening is that managment are trying to justify the investment in these machines by forcing customers to use them. I was told these machines are the future of banking and that all the banks are going down this route. But look where following the other banks has got boi.
    Since going on a 3 day week, my employer has stopped paying me electronically and I've had to visit regularly for the last 2 years. I was constantly being made uncomfortable qing for the cashier. So 6 weeks ago, with my boi loan paid off, I opened a credit union account. Now I always get served by a happy face. My wifes wages still go electronically to boi and we use internet banking for bill paying.
    I have written this as both a customer, a shareholder and a taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi 2 stroke,

Thanks for your post. I've passed on your feedback to the relevant department.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

ancedote:!!!

I used to bank with BOI until 1st year in College when I went to lodge a cheque and some notes in person with my pass card

The cashier said I would have to use the lodgement postbox, I went over to it but didn't know my account number and sort code (those are not printed on the pass card)

I decided at that moment to move to AIB
    (this was 1st year college so everyone was touting for business)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Funnily enough I was in Aib myself today making a lodgement for a friend. Smiling faces all around. Staff member was happy to look up my friends account and even filled out the lodgment form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Instead of making a new thread, i thought i'd reply to this. Today i was told on pearse street that i'd have to pay CC etc online in future, despite the fact that i was lodging a cheque. I don't have/want the pin so i had to make a manual payment. Will it be the case that in the near future i cant make payments like that?

Hi Fran1985,

I have passed on your feedback to the branch. At the moment all branches are advising customer's easier and quicker ways to make payments and do their banking, for example using online, direct debits or using the lodgement amts. Apologies if you felt that the branch were forcing you to use online or the lodgement atms.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Sorry if I am butting in on this Thread I am a Committee member of a small Club and off work every second Wednesday today was my second time visiting the BOI branch in my Town I went in today with coins € 33.00 two euros and one euros and paper cash 25.00 and was told again they do not accept coins but will do it this time.Is this true as I said to the Girl behind the counter "you are a Bank is this true" there was a Machine been showen to Customers and some lodged there cash paper money only and got there receipts if I cant lodge cash silver coinage where do I go with it.:confused:

Hi Tawny Owl,

If it is a branch that had cashier services available, there should have been no issue with lodging coins. During busy periods, cashiers may advise customers of other options open to them.

If you can pm us your branch, we would like to investigate this further for you.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Hi Tawny Owl,

If it is a branch that had cashier services available, there should have been no issue with lodging coins. During busy periods, cashiers may advise customers of other options open to them.

If you can pm us your branch, we would like to investigate this further for you.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks Linda

PM sent.

Hi Tawny Owl,

Thank you for your pm, we have forwarded this to the branch to investigate.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deistineach

Another customer told today that they won't accept cash at the counter for a credit card bill - by the cashier !
    Pointed in the direction of the machines, but like an earlier poster says, if you don't have a card, the machine is of no use to you

It seems this rule came in on the 9th of June but even now the Bank of Ireland website says you can lodge cheques or cash over the counter
    Did nobody tell the IT department to update the website information or did they just not believe them ?

This is a major bank we are talking about - has nobody ever applied some common sense before decisions are made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

This is a major bank we are talking about - has nobody ever applied some common sense before decisions are made ?

If the banks did that, we would not be paying 20% of our taxes to service their bailout.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi.

From today, when making a repayment to your credit card account in any of our bank branches, you will need to make the lodgement using the LATM, where available.
    You must have your credit card with you to use this service. Cards that have been cancelled or revoked may still make repayments to the account using the counter service.

Customers continue to have the option of paying their credit card bill over the counter in branches that do not feature a LATM, through Banking365, by direct debit or standing order.

Thank you.
    Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Having a similar experience,

I'm in college in Sligo and I get money through a person lodging to my account in Castlebar every week.
    They've now been told that they will no longer be able to lodge over the counter, but when they asked if they could have another card linked to my account to use the quicklodge machines they were told that an account can only have 1 card unless it's a joint account.

Advertisement