Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points per Driving Licence Holder - No licence problem

Options
  • 20-09-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

I Gather Statistics from RSA website and plot them into a spreadsheet to review, if Penalty point are actually helping people to improve their driving skills and habits and has it got a link with reduction of road deaths and series injuries.
    Some months data are missing fro the RSA website.

There is a worrying trend that surprise me. No Licence holders are increasing by 44% from Jan 2010 to July 2012. There was two months where it decrease ans those months co-incidence with the Cold weather spells.

221349.png

There is a case to confiscate and crush vehicles that any driver who have no driving licence is caught driving on Public Roads, with exception, if the vehicles is taken without the owner consent and return to the owner. The Driver can be charge with Theft as well as any other road traffic offences.

I believe this act will reduce the number of No Licence holders from driving on our roads.

There should also be a category for Foreign licence holders in the RSA data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

limklad wrote: »

There is a case to confiscate and crush vehicles that any driver who have no driving licence is caught driving on Public Roads, with exception, if the vehicles is taken without the owner consent and return to the owner. The Driver can be charge with Theft as well as any other road traffic offences.

Most drivers with no licenses know full well what they are doing, as such they probably ain't in the M5 or CL car bracket. They driver cheap knackered cars. They'll just pick up another €500 banger and away they go. Your idea, while noted, is an ecological and administrative disaster.

The greatest deterrent in life is fear, something the judicial system here does not inflict. I'm not saying dictatorship and roaming gangs, but people should be genuinely fearful to be caught for social, financial or whatever reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I believe that no licence means, no licence to which the points can be given to. These would be out of state licences, be they from the north or further afield.

A small percentage would be actual non licence holders as opposed to no licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Interesting point. I wonder if there have been any policy changes that might have caused a shift.
    There was two months where it decrease ans those months co-incidence with the Cold weather spells.
    This isn't quite right. There is a big reduction in the amount of journeys people do in the last 10 days of December every year. While some longer journeys will be done, they tend to be on safer roads.

The two periods of prolonged freezing weather were in January and December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

ironclaw wrote: »
    Most drivers with no licenses know full well what they are doing, as such they probably ain't in the M5 or CL car bracket. They driver cheap knackered cars. They'll just pick up another €500 banger and away they go. Your idea, while noted, is an ecological and administrative disaster.

The greatest deterrent in life is fear, something the judicial system here does not inflict. I'm not saying dictatorship and roaming gangs, but people should be genuinely fearful to be caught for social, financial or whatever reasons.
    If they can afford €500 for a banger, then they can afford to get a driving licence. After taking loads of cars off them, they will get poor very quick.
    Bangers which are not in road legal condition are confiscated by Gardai. The ones who buy €500 bangers are very rarely road worthy legal. If they have No NCT and no insurance and no Tax are also confiscated by Gardai. The system is already setup and is fully functional.

Most gardai I met says the owners do not bother in retrieving the old bangers cars and they left in some location left to rot, which is an administrative hassle to store and later dispose of them. So there is nothing new with administration bureaucracy there, just one easier and quicker step, assign for scrapping and crushing, reducing the cost to store the number of confiscated cars & it will reduce the costs of space and reducing the costs having to by more locations or space to maintaining more confiscated cars. The Drivers can be charged with cost of disposing of the car and fined for failing to pay that cost. That can be setup with a Statutory Instrument change with Road Traffic law on the next update with the new penalty points change.

Presently Legal Owner of cars are responsible for their vehicles conditions, if they are on the road. So selling a car to someone without signing over the car with paperwork sent to the Motor tax office is no excuse, the Car owner is still legal responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There should also be a category for Foreign licence holders in the RSA data.

I can't really see what would be the point in separating irish full licence holders for foreign licence holders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I am a fully legal driver - why, I don't know. From what I have seen in the 4 years I lived in Ireland - nearly nobody enforces the vehicle related laws we have - never mind any new ones we'd like to have!

CiniO wrote: »
    I can't really see what would be the point in separating irish full licence holders for foreign licence holders?
    The state recognise licence holders from other countries from other countries, so putting down no licence holder is wrong by the RSA and is very misleading.
    It hides the number of actual No Driving licence holder from the statistics, because people will automatically blame foreigners drivers when they "No driving licence holder" are the blame for the rise of "No licence holder" assigned penalty points in the statistics.
    Earlier this year, we had a guard who had no driving licence who was involved in an very serious accident causing death outside Raheen on the Motorway.

Victor wrote: »
    Interesting point. I wonder if there have been any policy changes that might have caused a shift.This isn't quite right. There is a big reduction in the amount of journeys people do in the last 10 days of December every year. While some longer journeys will be done, they tend to be on safer roads.

The two periods of prolonged freezing weather were in January and December 2010.
    Not quite true, December and January is a very busy time due to Christmas and New year sales shopping along with people visiting relatives that they rarely see during the year.

Summer is the quietest time of the year for Traffic when the schools are off and people goes on holidays mostly foreign trips, which make traffic congestion far less.
    Most traffic Jams and Traffic congestion are during the School terms when kids going to school and extra activities which coincides with the school term and students travelling to Third level colleges. All the various journeys related to kids who are been driven around these days all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

The state recognise licence holders from other countries from other countries, so putting down no licence holder is wrong by the RSA and is very misleading.
    It hides the number of actual No Driving licence holder from the statistics, because people will automatically blame foreigners drivers when they "No driving licence holder" are the blame for the rise of "No licence holder" assigned penalty points in the statistics.
    Earlier this year, we had a guard who had no driving licence who was involved in an very serious accident causing death outside Raheen on the Motorway.

What was the point in the bold section of your post. Are you saying that because his licence had lapsed made him a poorer driver or are you trying to say that he never passed a test. I'd like you to remove the comment or explain why you felt it gives credence to what ever point you are trying to make.

Again, no licence, is the amount of out of state drivers who could not have points attached to their licences; not the number of non licence holders who were caught.

I don't see how the number of non licence holders is skewing the figures, as the vast majority of penalty points not actually given to a specific licence are out of state licence holders.

Advertisement