Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid - Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

The entertainment continues:

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
    Dear Pat McQuaid, I hope you have a better grasp of the facts than that mutt on boards.ie purporting to be your sister.

...because believe me, you'll be in trouble if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

2m Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
    Dear Pat McQuaid, I hope you have a better grasp of the facts than that mutt on boards.ie purporting to be your sister.

Twitter just now https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Who is the mutt????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SWL wrote: »
    Yes you missed a more than a few

Quote them then.
    There was a time in Ireland when family members were “off limits” especially when they have no act in any public proceedings, like many things in Ireland that appears to have changed and not for the better.

The family wasn't mentioned until Ms McQuaid posted. Are you suggesting that we're not allowed to challenge the publicly-aired opinions of people who are related? If so, that's absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

I think Paul should be very careful with his bullish tweets. I would hate for anything he says on there coming against him

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

paul is active enough on Twitter today. Lots of quotes from the Dave Brailsford article in the Scotsman. Me thinks Paul ain't too enamored by him either

Does he like anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Lumen wrote: »
    Quote them then.

The family wasn't mentioned until Ms McQuaid posted. Are you suggesting that we're not allowed to challenge the publicly-aired opinions of people who are related? If so, that's absurd.

I can't quote them because a Mod has deleted them. If you wish you may highlight the sentence where I suggested that individuals cannot be challenged, however the subsequent remarks are my issue.

I don't support Pat or the UCI especially in this case, however it appears some posters have a lower social etiquette than others, I simply highlighted my disappointed that remarks were made against family members who are not responsible for the court case, you are free to continue to disagree with this view but it is view I will continue to hold. But if we are to follow that view point Lance Armstrong’s mother better go into hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I think Paul should be very careful with his bullish tweets. I would hate for anything he says on there coming against him

I agree. I mean, it is possible that the poster in question is not a sister of the UCI president. Anyone can easily claim to be anyone else.

Yours,
    Spartacus.

I can't quote them because a Mod has deleted them.

Ah right. It's a bit of a non-discussion then.
    If you wish you may highlight the sentence where I suggested that individuals cannot be challenged

I assumed that's what you meant by...
    There was a time in Ireland when family members were “off limits”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tel wrote: »
    I agree. I mean, it is possible that the poster in question is not a sister of the UCI president. Anyone can easily claim to be anyone else.

Yours,
    Spartacus.

TBF he did say the "mutt purporting to be" Pat Mcquaids sister...

(Have already posted saying the personal comments and insults were not on)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Ah right. It's a bit of a non-discussion then.

I assumed that's what you meant by...

The posts were edited after my posts.

You assumption is incorrect, family members of a person holding any office especially when the topic relates to their professional work, were not discussed in the manner some of the McQuaids were, that’s a whole world away from challenging someone on their views.

Plenty of posters challenged in a translucent manner the supporter(s) of Pat McQuaid without resorting to family bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Pat Mc Quaid has been very succesful in combating doping over the last number of years, stuck out his neck by chasing the dopers and seeing that they recieved heavy sentences where possible..

Its not so long ago that some people in cycling was saying that his zeal in accepting that there was a doping culture in cycling, and taking it on head on was creating bad publicity for cycling and were calling for his head.

We seen the results of his breaking the doping culture in the tours this year with slower times and very exhausted riders having to do the old piano trick on some stages. Also the exhausted riders at the end of the hard stages were clear to see.

He has also brought cycling to a wider audience worldwide. now if some of the posters are begrudgers who are too smallminded to acknowledge that, I would think that's their problem. But its hardly fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funkyzeit wrote: »

LOL! He must have read this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81133289&postcount=156

Don't blame him, UCI would take you to court over far less accusations.

Pat McQuaid...stuck out his neck by chasing the dopers and seeing that they recieved heavy sentences where possible...He has also brought cycling to a wider audience worldwide

Part of the problem is the massive conflict of interest that those two roles bring.

For instance, back in 2007 after two doping test no-shows from Rasmussen, PMQ was reported to have said:
    From an image point of view, it would be better if it was not Rasmussen but one of the youngest riders winning the Tour

From an image point of view. That's the problem, he has given the impression of being more bothered by bad publicity than by the doping itself. This is completely unacceptable in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

Funkyzeit wrote: »

Yeah I linked him up with the thread, it seems as if a few journo's were reading this thread before that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Paul Kimmage is definitely one of the best people to follow on twitter! Comes out with some great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

And he should when cheating is the topic.

i would be delighted to discuss this with you over on the football forum were we can discuss a bit of gbh etc. but i dont think this is the place to discuss it.

Mods sorry for the ot stuff delete all the football stuff if you think inappropriate.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

morana wrote: »
    Mods sorry for the ot stuff delete all the football stuff if you think inappropriate.
    This is a discussion about cycling and the legal action being taken against Paul Kimmage. "Alleged" examples of footballers diving are absolutely nothing to do with this topic, so let's leave the activities of Suarez (and indeed Ashley Young, allegedly;)) in the Soccer Forum

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cycling Fanatic

Just catching up on all the recent posts. I'd just like to clear something up. The so called " younger sister " of Pat McQuaid recently wrote PK was unemployed and a poor writer. This in fact not true. He is currently finishing off Brian o Driscoll's Autobiography and has been named sports writer of the year on a number of occasions over the past number of years.

I know this might seem irrelevant, but it was been made out that he was a washed aul writer with no work.

#kimmageforucipresident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'd really like to see Kimmage do the Floyd Landis Autobiography.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You're missing the obvious!

Leadership in a time of crisis (or how I learned to stop worrying and learned how to love the bomb)

A biography of a man, rider, manager, leader, legend

the true story of Patrick McQuaid

By Paul Kimmage

Forward by Lance Armstong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Has the definition of 'autobiography' changed recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think autobiographies are generally ghost written or a collaborative effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Yes. The 'auto' used refer to the self. Like autologous blood doping to take a convenient example. Now the 'auto' comes from 'automatic', in that you push a button and a 300 page masterpiece emerges. See Justin Bieber, Katie Price and Jedward for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    You're missing the obvious!

Leadership in a time of crisis (or how I learned to stop worrying and learned how to love the bomb)

A biography of a man, rider, manager, leader, legend

the true story of Patrick McQuaid

By Paul Kimmage

Forward Forword by Lance Armstong

Better not get you to spell check it :p

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Better not get you to spell check it :p

Or you. It's spelled "foreword".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Or you. It's spelled "foreword".

Major face-palm me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

He'll have to find him first.

Actually I'd like to see an unghosted autobiog from Landis. It will be slightly more coherent than Ulysses, but vastly more entertaining.

THeres a video of Pat Mc Quaid out working for the sport.
    http://nos.nl/video/421452-smeets-in-gesprek-met-mcquaid.html

THeres a video of Pat Mc Quaid out working for the sport.
    http://nos.nl/video/421452-smeets-in-gesprek-met-mcquaid.html
    Transcript wrote:
    Interviewer: Do I understand you well? You did not receive one word from them, till now?
    PMQ: No, no. Anything we received from them, correspondence, has also been put in the public domain by them as well, so we haven't received anything.
    Interview: So you're waiting for the report?
    PMQ We're waiting for the report. Then what you gonna do?
    Interviewer: Then our legal department, legal people, experts will study the report, read it, and they will report what they feel should be done with it.
    Interviewer: What could be done?
    PMQ: There is a variety of things could be done. It could be appealed to CAS. There's elements in there that we have to study about jurisdictions, there's elements in there that we have to study about statutes of limitations, we could as I say go to CAS, we could sanction give the, er, we could, erm, endorse the sanctions that USADA have handed down, I don't, you know its any numbers of options, and we will take whatever option is justified.
    Interviewer: Have you got any idea what people in the street have their opinion about what's going on about Mr Armstrong.
    PMQ: We would love to know too. But we don't know, we absolutely don't know. All we know is what we read in the papers.

So despite absolutely not knowing what the facts are the following were the first things that came into Pat's mind as a response to the report he hasn't received yet:

- Appeal to CAS
    - Challenge USADA on jurisdiction
    - Challenge USADA on statutes of limitation
    - Sanction give the, er, we could, erm, endorse the sanctions that USADA have handed down.

In that order.

As far as I'm concerned that says a great deal about the relationship between Pat and Lance, and I don't like it.

• Advertisement

Lumen Theres more to the interview and the sport in general than doping and anti doping, funny how you just see those few lines that you have written..

Did you not see the bit about how the doping culture has been tackled and broken to a large extent since Mc Quaid became president?

Lumen Theres more to the interview and the sport in general than doping and anti doping, funny how you just see those few lines that you have written..

This is a thread about the UCI and doping, so I focused on that bit. I haven't had time to watch the whole thing, and it takes ages to transcribe.

I also noted that he goes to a lot of meetings. Well done for that Pat, we all know meeting attendance is the hallmark of a great leader.
    Did you not see the bit about how the doping culture has been tackled and broken to a large extent since McQuaid became president?

I did see Pat take credit for that, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Anything said by PK since the cycling internet exploded? Nothing from him on twitter since this on 8th Oct:
    This conflict with the UCI may seem like a game, and a game I'm enjoying, but the truth is that it's destroying my life. And the person I care most about. So I'm going to check out now. A sincere thanks again for the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I read that when he said he was going to check out now that that's him finished with twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I got my contribution to the Kimmage defence fund refunded to my PayPal account this morning??? Anyone else have the same thing?

Here's the msg that came with it:

The funds have been returned to your account.

This payment was returned for the following reason(s):

diggerforum10@gmail.com did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.

Please contact diggerforum10@gmail.com to arrange an alternate payment method.
    If you have any further questions, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the History subtab. Locate this transaction and click the word "Cancelled" in the Details column.Yours sincerely,
    PayPal

I hope this does not mean that the €65k is NOT actually available to him.

I'll try to send it again, but would welcome any suggestions......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

PK going to be on the Marian Finucane show on RTE Radio 1 in a minute or two!
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I got my contribution to the Kimmage defence fund refunded to my PayPal account this morning??? Anyone else have the same thing?

When did you contribute? I chipped in a couple of times over the last few weeks and no sign of refund etc so far. I remember the first attempt at setting up the fund had to be scrapped because digger made a small slip-up somewhere and people who had chipped in on that version were refunded, but since it was corrected it seems to be running ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

When did you contribute? I chipped in a couple of times over the last few weeks and no sign of refund etc so far. I remember the first attempt at setting up the fund had to be scrapped because digger made a small slip-up somewhere and people who had chipped in on that version were refunded, but since it was corrected it seems to be running ok.

Thanks,
    Maybe this is the problem - I contributed on the first or second day of the appeal, but surprising that it has taken so long to notify me.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Me too. Took me a little while to connect the email with Kimmage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

Seemingly @diggerforum got the first fund going but couldn't get paypal working and Cyclismas took over from there. Hence the refund.

Untitled.png

Fund is coming along nicely, plenty of exposure lately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

This meme just keeps on running...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Is this true?
    https://twitter.com/inrng/status/261844853955121152
    UCI also decides to suspend the legal action against Paul Kimmage. Will await findings from the investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Raam wrote: »

Seeing it in several sources.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Seeing it in several sources.

Groupthink and herding, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mixed feelings if it's true, as I'm sure Paul has too. He admitted having it hanging over him has been very stressful, but I'm sure he would have liked the opportunity to fight it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Mixed feelings if it's true, as I'm sure Paul has too. He admitted having it hanging over him has been very stressful, but I'm sure he would have liked the opportunity to fight it.
    What would be nice now would be for cyclismas to use the fund to bring a court case against McQuaid/Verbruggen personally for being a bunch of assholes or something ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Diarmuid wrote: »
    What would be nice now would be for cyclismas to use the fund to bring a court case against McQuaid/Verbruggen personally for being a bunch of assholes or something ;)

If the proceedings against Kimmage do evaporate then you'd imagine Paul could make a case against McBruggen that they brought a vexatious case resulting in emotional stress and trauma (or whatever) to him. That would be an interesting one to see happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Advertisement
Advertisement