Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid - Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

He's back on Twitter too -and its far from over from his point of view, it seems!

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
    How do I feel? I feel like Maximus as he prepared for battle.

"On my signal, unleash hell."

Hope to deliver that signal very soon.

I suspect Greg LeMond intervention yesterday wont have harmed......

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To me, dropping the case is a step (albeit a small one) in the right direction. Finally the UCI are starting to see that they are damaging the sport with their own actions. There remains a long way to go, and I believe a complete overhaul of the current Management Team is required, but I applaud them for dropping the case (even if they do try and hide behind this "postponing" point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Beasty wrote: »
    To me, dropping the case is a step (albeit a small one) in the right direction. Finally the UCI are starting to see that they are damaging the sport with their own actions. There remains a long way to go, and I believe a complete overhaul of the current Management Team is required, but I applaud them for dropping the case (even if they do try and hide behind this "postponing" point)

They tried to intimidate Kimmage with the case. He hung in there and they now realise they would face the massive embarrassment of losing the case if they don't drop it. It's a victory for Kimmage(he said he hoped the UCI would drop it) but I would have preferred to see Kimmage take a wrecking ball to them in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Im just ****ing delighted for Paul...Simple As

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Who gets the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It will probably be held until it's dropped completely as opposed to being just suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

From Twitter.
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST

Kimmage Fund rising to $84,000 and trust this prediction: the money will be used as intended by donors. The UCI can run but they can't hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Vrijman Report II: Corruption re-investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

interesting
    Kimmage fund co-ordinators say journalist may ‘take fight’ to governing body

Paul KimmageWhile the UCI stated on Friday that it was suspending its legal action against him while an independent commission examines its anti-doping efforts, there are indications that Paul Kimmage may intend pressing on with the legal defence he had been building up.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13166/Indications-Kimmage-may-take-legal-action-of-his-own-against-UCI.aspx#ixzz2AcxInbA8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I applaud them for dropping the case (even if they do try and hide behind this "postponing" point)

Meh - might as well applaud me for not robbing a bank. The only way I would applaud them at this stage was if Pat and Hein admitted that the case was ill-considered, unjust and specifically designed at suppressing criticism of them and the UCI. Attempting to weasel out of it at this stage only makes them look worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Can we change the title to "Paul Kimmage sue's the UCI"!? Details all over on Velonation!

Kimmage has requested the opening of a criminal investigation for ‘slander/defamation, denigration and for strong suspicions of fraud.’

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13195/Kimmage-counter-attacks-by-suing-Verbruggen-and-McQuaid-in-Swiss-courts.aspx#ixzz2AzuR1aC2

Posting from phone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Plastik wrote: »
    Can we change the title to "Paul Kimmage sue's the UCI"!? Details all over on Velonation!

Kimmage has requested the opening of a criminal investigation for ‘slander/defamation, denigration and for strong suspicions of fraud.’

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13195/Kimmage-counter-attacks-by-suing-Verbruggen-and-McQuaid-in-Swiss-courts.aspx#ixzz2AzuR1aC2

Posting from phone :pac:

wow. Mind is blown. What a turnaround!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

F**king Ace! Go get em' Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Yes Paul!! you hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

On my signal, unleash hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

It looks like he is taking the case against them personally. Therefore it should be out of their own pockets that they have to defend themselves if thats right.....totally deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Well done Paul Kimmage. Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Well done Paul, another contribution to the fund for that gem...won't be too long until it exceeds 100k now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plastik wrote: »
    Alas he's not actually suing them, so in the interests of accuracy I'll change it to:
    "Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid" (unless anyone can come up with anything better)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

This is how legends are made. Paul "Erin Brokevitch" Kimmage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

1340755506667.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Alas he's not actually suing them, so in the interests of accuracy I'll change it to:
    "Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid" (unless anyone can come up with anything better)

Don't you hate when the truth gets in the way of a good headline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

Unleash-Hell.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Very poignant stuff from Kimmage earlier today.
    “This is for everyone who stands up for the truth and anyone who exposed the doping problem in the sport and were treated appallingly by McQuaid and Verbruggen over the last 20 years. It’s justice for the kids who came into the sport and thought they had a chance of achieving their dreams but ended up in coffins; justice for all the kids who wanted to achieve their dreams without doping and were forced out of the sport because they didn’t have a shot and justice for those that were left with a choice, cheat or be cheated.”

I find it hard to believe that anyone (even family members) could read this and believe that he's honestly pursuing a vindictive vendetta against Pat and Hein.

Also an interview with him on 98FM earlier.
    http://www.98fm.com/2012/category-news-sport/category-sport/kimmage-uci-nov2012-0211/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 8_Ace

Paul Kimmage is a man of integrity, his book and articles have been exposing the hypocrisy of the sport for years. I'm delighted he's being vindicated at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

"Paul Kimmage is continuing his fight with the UCI. Here, he explains why"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-race-of-truth-keeps-rolling-3281852.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

buffalo wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-race-of-truth-keeps-rolling-3281852.html

Enjoyed that. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

skins are now suing
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13217/Skins-launches-legal-claim-against-UCI-for-two-million-US-dollars.aspx
    the clothing company Skins has revealed that it too is launching legal action.

“The Lance Armstrong scandal has exposed the sport to an embarrassing level of global disrepute. In short, world cycling is a mess and as President of the UCI, you and those of your colleagues charged with its executive management, must act now to restore confidence in world cycling or withdraw from office.”

He said that Skins and other companies had invested ‘considerable amounts of time and money’ into the sport and that they had been left exposed by how the sport had been run.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13217/Skins-launches-legal-claim-against-UCI-chiefs-for-two-million-US-dollars.aspx#ixzz2BICHP18N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Great fcuking news, Verbruggen and McQuaid are in serious trouble now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

If Paul Kimmage needs more funds he will get more contributions from cyclists. That is certain. The UCI pressure on Paul has turned to pressure on the UCI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The SKINS lawsuit smells like a massive publicity stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

For Paul's sake and for the sake of the court case, I just hope he lets the evidence do the talking as it's damning enough on it's own. At times he gets too passionate in his discussion of the topic at hand and he can be seeing as a bit of a ranter.

I'm very very unimpressed with the Skins thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Raam wrote: »

It could very well be, but so what? It adds to the pressure, so it's only good at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It could very well be, but so what? It adds to the pressure, so it's only good at the moment.

Why should SKINS get free publicity from the airing of cycling's dirty laundry?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Because* they got sod all from the money they threw at Armstrong? I suspect most of us had never heard of them until last week.

* This is not an actual reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I don't really mind if the added pressure will bring faster/better results. Wouldn't be even better if more related companies would do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

buffalo wrote: »

Really shows what a joke McQuaid is. Loved this line:
    I called Tony Williams, a solicitor friend from Dublin, and asked for advice. "The one thing you can't do is ignore it," he said. I decided to ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

David Millar interview in the Guardian today - gotta love this quote...

"Verbruggen and McQuaid made a huge mistake. It says so much about them. When I heard about their legal action I wanted to say: 'You do realise this is Paul Kimmage?' I'm incredulous that Pat and Hein could be stupid enough to go after him. He'll literally hunt them down. Don't fúck with fanatics."

So did a certain doctors recent attempt at a no confidence vote in a certain UCI president at a certain CI AGM :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

David Millar interview in the Guardian today - gotta love this quote...

I think its worth quoting a bit wider from the interview with Millar...

"Millar understands how the commitment of Kimmage and David Walsh, who stood up to Armstrong, is fuelled by terrible pain and injustice. "The sport has made Paul a fanatic because it absolutely vilified him. Paul loves cycling. He grew up with the sport but it burned him so badly. He was ostracised and got treated like a c**t by so many people – me included – for 20 years. Now all this stuff about Armstrong came out and, suddenly, he was right all along. He's right to still be angry. I'm not sure it's good for him but maybe Paul will be the one to make a difference with the UCI. And here's the beautiful irony. That fanatical voice has been the voice of reason through all this."

What did Millar think when, last Thursday, Kimmage announced he was suing the UCI? Millar laughs: "I thought, 'Brilliant. Good old Paul.' The moment McQuaid and Verbruggen sued Paul they were unleashing the dogs of hell on themselves. They then suspend their case against Paul? Another mistake. Suspending the case looks hesitant and weak again. This could be another tipping point for the UCI because Paul's going to come at them now – no holds barred. Verbruggen and McQuaid could fall."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Could be, but then again when some people are stabbed in the back they go for retribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    So did a certain doctors recent attempt at a no confidence vote in a certain UCI president at a certain CI AGM :pac:

It smells to me of somebody trying to do the right thing.

It smells to me of somebody trying to do the right thing.
    Having sat next to Dr McGrane at the AGM, I know how passionate he is about this particular issue (and indeed witnessed it on the day). I suspect Lusk Doyle has a pretty good idea also as he is from the same club and I'm pretty sure his post was intended to be tongue in cheek;)

Having sat next to Dr McGrane at the AGM, I know how passionate he is about this particular issue (and indeed witnessed it on the day). I suspect Lusk Doyle has a pretty good idea also as he is from the same club and I'm pretty sure his post was intended to be tongue in cheek;)

Me? Tongue in cheek? Never! Who is this "doctor" of whom you speak?

Warning: The above post may be tongue in cheek.

I'm pretty sure his post was intended to be tongue in cheek;)

I find it's usually a good starting point to not take any of his posts seriously.
    :)

I find it's usually a good starting point to not take any of his posts seriously.
    :)

Rob Fowl liked it. No more boards jerseys delivered to your house DI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm happy enough about the SKINS thing because I think it's moving the whole situation in the right direction: towards the (figurative) razing to the ground of the current UCI organisation.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Rob Fowler liked it.

If it's good enough for God, eh?

• Advertisement

If it's good enough for God, eh?

More of a Moses character really.

Advertisement