Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Cap question

• 20-09-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question i was just wondering when i occasionally visit my friends house hes always like you can download some stuff if you want he doesnt mind as he is paying for broadband but uses nowhere near what his max cap would be so he said hed allow me to download some stuff while im there my question is once im connected to his broadband what i download on MY laptop is still charged to him as long as im in his house right (id only be downloading a few thing id never want to take advantage of him) or can it still charge to my cap as its my laptop

sorry if thats a confusing/stupid question

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If you're in his house, connected via WiFi or a cable to his internet connection, then it's his data allowance you'd be using. The router that you connect to doesn't care whose laptop it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yakuza wrote: »
    If you're in his house, connected via WiFi or a cable to his internet connection, then it's his data allowance you'd be using. The router that you connect to doesn't care whose laptop it is :)
    +1 - there is absolutely no way it can use your data cap unless you're connected to your own router/Internet connection at home. If you use mobile broadband, make sure the modem's plugged out, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AnimeRulez

i forgot to add its not like we live next door to each other hes about 2 miles away so that should be far enough to not pick up mine right

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

AnimeRulez wrote: »
    i forgot to add its not like we live next door to each other hes about 2 miles away so that should be far enough to not pick up mine right

Yeah haha, quit worrying :) your laptop will lose connection from your laptop once you're like 2 houses away
    Once you're on HIS network, you're using HIS connection and HIS usage

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AnimeRulez

Thanx guys appreciate your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement