Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age asked on phone interview

Options
  • 20-09-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I am looking for a job at the minute. I have a degree, certificates and a lot of experience. I've been working since I was 15 because I did not have any choice in the matter yet I still put myself through school. That seems to be something which today's employers are not looking upon in a credible fashion.

Today's interview is not the first time I was asked for my age over the phone. But the fact that it was one of her last questions is making me worry. She did not seem overly good on the phone , her questions were "tell me about your past experience" and "how much money are you looking for". When I had finished talking she sat there in silence. Then she said "how old are you then?" and when I told her she said "thanks a million we'll be in touch if we want to do a second round of interviews with you".

Is age allowed to be used as a discriminatory thing? The ad for the job said it was a young and vibrant office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is age allowed to be used as a discriminatory thing? The ad for the job said it was a young and vibrant office.

No, it's not (openly anyway). Clumsy by the person phone screening you.

But if you're younger than you seem from your CV, then maybe it might work out for you. Or maybe it was a bad attempt at filling the silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

While it's not illegal to ask an interviewee's age, it IS illegal to discriminate against an interviewee because of their answer according to the Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011. Most professional employers simply steer clear of questions about age, race, religion, gender, marital status or sexuality to avoid complications, or will simply ask 'Are you over the age of 18?' to sidestep legality issues that might affect your ability to do the job.

I'd advise pushing how many years of employment experience you've had, rather than letting employers focus on how old you are. It's a really tricky situation because refusing to answer the question can stymie your progress just as much as offering up a 'young' age. However, serious complaints of age discrimination can be taken to your relevant Equality Authority, who can probably give you some help or, at the very least, advice on avoiding potential discrimination.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't think it matters - if you don't meet their expect profile then you are not going to get the job and I'd prefer to know this from the start so I don't spend time on something I'm not in the running for.

I would understand "a young and vibrant office" to mean: "we're looking for someone young and cheap". And as I'm 49 and expensive:D, I would not even wast my time applying...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

That's a bit odd them asking your age.

It could have just been a throwaway remark she made, very unprofessional if she did.

However your age should have no bearing on your suitability for jobs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

It is, but nothing you can do. They might want someone younger for some posistions and someone older for other posistions, they'd find out your age anyway when they bring you in for interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement