Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alienware Aurora desktops - comments and/or experiences

• 20-09-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,

I've been looking at the Alienware Aurora desktop range and there's a couple of models that look quite good. I know they're not the cheapest, but I always liked the Alienware computers and I've generally had good experiences with Dell computers, previously. If anyone has any recent experiences (quality of the computers, standard of customers services) with them, I'd be grateful for your comments. Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Build it yourself, will be half the price. Answer the questionnaire over in Building and Upgrading and they'll post a build for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

but I always liked the Alienware computers

There was a time when Alienware were the business, and Dell hardware used to be solid, but customer service wise, its no longer worth the hassle.

Definitely build it yourself, you will save a load of money, you will know every inch of it, and should anything go wrong you will be able to fix the issues yourself. Plus its fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SPARC64

I've thought about building my own and I'm reasonably competent with PC hardware, etc. so perhaps I'll look into that a bit further. I was more concerned about having a good warranty back-up, but if their customer service and support is as you say it is ....

Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they're horribly overpriced.

Dell used to be a great commercial PC seller, ever since they broke into the consumer market in a big way they've gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

SPARC64 wrote: »
    I've thought about building my own and I'm reasonably competent with PC hardware, etc. so perhaps I'll look into that a bit further. I was more concerned about having a good warranty back-up, but if their customer service and support is as you say it is ....

Thanks for the replies :)
    Every product you buy could have a 3-10 year warranty much better than a bs 1 year warranty from dell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yeah, the warranties they give are crap, usually only one year. The PC that I built has 3 years on MB, GPU, CPU, 7 years on the PSU and memory has a life time warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Yeah, the warranties they give are crap, usually only one year. The PC that I built has 3 years on MB, GPU, CPU, 7 years on the PSU and memory has a life time warranty.

What psu are you using mine exploded.:mad: Id love a 7 year warranty.!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Corsair PSUs are very highly rated, must say I have one and it is silent, never any issues with it. Well worth the slightly extra premium for a quality one :)

Nick

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/20053551/corsair_professional_gold_ax750_750_watt/details.aspx but, you don't need to spend that much for a good PSU . XFX make a good PSU also. It's a Seasonic OEM the same as mine.

Edit: This one has a 5 year warranty http://www.dabs.ie/products/xfx-550-watt-core-edition-full-wired-80--bronze-psu-7NSW.html?refs=50544&src=3

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SPARC64

yoyo wrote: »
    Corsair PSUs are very highly rated, must say I have one and it is silent, never any issues with it. Well worth the slightly extra premium for a quality one :)

Nick

I know I'm digressing on my own post here, but I have an Antec High Current Gamer 750W that I never installed. Would it be fair to assume that's one component less to buy, if I go down the road of buildin' me own?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I know I'm digressing on my own post here, but I have an Antec High Current Gamer 750W that I never installed. Would it be fair to assume that's one component less to buy, if I go down the road of buildin' me own?

Antec are a good brand also, so well worth using it in a new build ;)

Nick

Delta Electronics is the OEM for the 750W version and is high quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Advertisement