Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Heart of Ireland Tattoo Expo.

Options
  • 20-09-2012 3:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Did anyone attend ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I was there for a while on the Sunday, didnt seem to be too much happening. I saw the awards and no offence to yourself, but the winners were a joke. Its all about who you know at those things. Eimear Kearney wins an award at every show and its nothing to do with her work, the special merit awards were laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

I thought the tattoo the tattooist you mentioned did was a brilliant job. It is after all on my leg !!! Ah well each to their own opinion. I know I'm happy to have an award winning tattoo and got some really positive feedback from a lot of tattooists I admire about it. You can't please everyone I suppose. I also thought for a maiden event it was pretty good. There was some pretty nice tattoos done on the saturday also. That's my 2 cents on it anyway. Anyone else there ?

I think Maciej deserved an award ahead of Eimear Kearney. His chest piece IMO was a much nicer piece than the tattoo which won best of show.

That was a pretty nice piece all right. New school stuff is a kind of love it or hate it thing really. I suppose the judges just had a different opinion to you.
    Ulrich Heuber did a couple of sweet pieces also and Angus from AWOL did a sweet piece on a girls ribs on the saturday. I thought for the size of the show the standard of tattooing over the 2 days was good compared to other shows I've been to this year.

Uli is amazing, I was shocked he didn't win an award of some sort but like I said, it's all about who you know at those shows.

Btw, I absolutely love new school tattoos. A lot of the pirate just didn't make sense in my eyes, the main thing is the "shadow" on her leg, it shouldn't be there or else it should have been done totally different.

• Advertisement

I disagree with the 'it's who you know' thing. Any of the tattooists I spoke to before the judging tipped my leg to take it. I can't see how they can all be wrong. Oh well as I've said earlier each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Is the style of that pirate actually what new school is? My granddad used to have tattoos with that colour style.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Melion wrote: »
    Btw, I absolutely love new school tattoos. A lot of the pirate just didn't make sense in my eyes, the main thing is the "shadow" on her leg, it shouldn't be there or else it should have been done totally different.

I gotta agree on the shadow, or the line across the legs, it just seems like it shouldn't be there. I'm not particularly a fan of "new school" or "old school" tattoos, but I do like the tattoo.

Most people there were calling it new school but the tattooist that did it calls it more cartooney than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Was there Saturday but couldn't make it back on Sunday, there was a good buzz about the place though the marquee was freezing and not just because I was wearing next to nothing :p
    My other half came home with a new piercing.
    Hopefully it will be even better next year.

• Advertisement

The sunday was alot busier than the saturday. I'd like to see it on again next year. There was a really friendly buzz about the place.

The sunday was alot busier than the saturday. I'd like to see it on again next year. There was a really friendly buzz about the place.

Yeah? We left early enough on Sunday mainly because it was just a trip to pick up supplies so it must have picked up a lot. I was told that the only artists who were busy on Saturday were Paul B and Uli

They were kept going allright. Angus seemed fairly busy also. Upstairs was busy all day with Eimear on my leg, Maciej(magic) and Dualta from Dark Valley doing full day sessions. It seemed busier upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

I was there on the Saturday and Sunday and while the show may been small there was some great work going on, Ireland needs these shows as the artists meet the real Irish tattoo fans get together, I got feedback from a lot of artists saying that they had fun, hopefully next year the event will grow, ever show does not have to be a Milan or London sized event, as long as the artists and clients and those who attend have fun, I had fun and enjoyed the event, on Saturday there was a lot of full day sessions going on, in many cases its the smaller shows where clients such as u and I can get larger sessions done, there was a great few pieces done by artists there of very high quality

Advertisement