Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HID Questions

• 20-09-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I have been considering fitting a HID to my bike to improve visibility especially on winter evenings. I have fitted these to many cars and the difference was like day and night.

Looking for peoples advice and opinions on this. Is there a downside to fitting these to the bike? I don't want the bike to stick out like a sore thumb either.

Also what size bulb does my K5 SV650 take?

Any good places to buy these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Philips seem to be the best for these bulbs (according to the 2 mags I have in the house) usually people get around 5000K or 6000K I would not be too bothered about sticking out like a sore thumb, as at least you can be a sore thumb that is SEEN at night and day.

Would love to get a set of these myself TBH, if you have a look on a few major sites they usually let you select the bike you have and tell you what u need.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/lighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

my two cents fwiw.. I don't know about your bulb etc but I do know that a mate of mine fitted one to his bike and it blew the **** out of three ignitions. this character is one of the obsessive clinical types- you wouldn't see tape and good faith anywhere near his bike.. proper custom harley..anyways it was wired in with all the correct doo dads (if it was me it'd be held on with tape) - no question of installation error. anyways the hid was overloading the system, he's since reverted to a normal bike light...if it were me I'd avoid it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Never heard anything like that before...I have the dual headlight mod on mine so both bulbs are on when started have no choice in the matter, then I have the high beam for dark roads etc.

I also have 2 removable spot lights for the heavy rain and darkness....so I am good for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

steveone wrote: »
    my two cents fwiw.. I don't know about your bulb etc but I do know that a mate of mine fitted one to his bike and it blew the **** out of three ignitions. this character is one of the obsessive clinical types- you wouldn't see tape and good faith anywhere near his bike.. proper custom harley..anyways it was wired in with all the correct doo dads (if it was me it'd be held on with tape) - no question of installation error. anyways the hid was overloading the system, he's since reverted to a normal bike light...if it were me I'd avoid it...

That's interesting. Have not come across anything like that in my research. But thanks for the heads up and I will look into it and possibly but in an extra fuse to help protect against that. My first thoughts on that would be that he could have got a higher wattage bulb, ie a 55w instead on a 35w and it pulled too much current.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Never heard anything like that before...I have the dual headlight mod on mine so both bulbs are on when started have no choice in the matter, then I have the high beam for dark roads etc.

I also have 2 removable spot lights for the heavy rain and darkness....so I am good for now.

Thanks for the info Wonda-Boy, I remember seeing your to removable spots on the spin, I will have a better look at your set up next time I see you. In the meantime I will try and research the HID idea a bit more. See if I can find anyone with them fitted to a Sv650.

• Advertisement
Advertisement