Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Never been to download before, thinking about going this year as I will be working :)

Can you bring drink into the venue (Or any way of getting it in)? Would flights/transfers cost much?

You can bring drink, lads show up with loads of crates on wheelie trolly things :D I had loads of premixed rum & coke in 2 litre bottles. You can buy crates of cans at the campsite supermarket too.

Flights by Ryanair to EMA aren't too pricey. Airport is couple miles from Download and transfer bus is very cheap. But do NOT get a taxi when you leave cos it's totally backed up and will cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

You can bring drink, lads show up with loads of crates on wheelie trolly things :D I had loads of premixed rum & coke in 2 litre bottles. You can buy crates of cans at the campsite supermarket too.

Flights by Ryanair to EMA aren't too pricey. Airport is couple miles from Download and transfer bus is very cheap. But do NOT get a taxi when you leave cos it's totally backed up and will cost a fortune.

Just to note, you can of course bring as much booze as you like into the campsite but you cannot bring booze into the actual arena.

Also Ryanair flights are currently €90 return from 12th to 17th June (both early flights) if anyone is doing 5 day camping, that's pretty damn good considering I paid €130 not too long ago. Doubt that prices will stay that way for long though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just to note, you can of course bring as much booze as you like into the campsite but you cannot bring booze into the actual arena.

Also Ryanair flights are currently €90 return from 12th to 17th June (both early flights) if anyone is doing 5 day camping, that's pretty damn good considering I paid €130 not too long ago. Doubt that prices will stay that way for long though.

You could bring plastic bottles without lids. Well we could but maybe just cos we were RIP and got special treatment, hah!! Fair play on early flights this year, the awkward flight times are hell. Sittting in tiniest airport for 8 hours. *shoots self*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

the awkward flight times are hell. Sittting in tiniest airport for 8 hours. *shoots self*

Just booked my flight home!! had booked outbound to EM for 30 odd quid well before christmas but return home wasnt cheap so in the end went with €55 with aerlingus from Birmingham its times are more suitable 14:50 for me, 1 hour on a bus is all, more beer & some sleep the night before is more on my line than hours at EM wanting to shoot myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I haven't even checked flights yet. Just know I'll be flying into East Midlands from Paris. Turning into a good month for me is June :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Black Stone Cherry (who are headlining the 2nd stage on the Friday), Chthonic, DragonForce, Fearless Vampire Killers, Fidlar, Ghost, Hammer Of The Gods, Idiom, Krokodil, Little Caeser, Masters Of Reality, Palm Reader, Patent Pending, Red White & Blues, Rival Sons, Satyricon and Voodoo Six.

This evenings announcement

http://ow.ly/i/1KU7E/original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

And (most importantly for me) day tickets go on sale on Thursday, only going Saturday, mostly for Maiden but the rest of the day's lineup makes it worthwhile and I can go hang out with my friends up in Leicester the rest of the weekend

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully MCD will book Black Stone Cherry for Slane with Bon Jovi , if i did head to DL id def choose them over Slipknot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Hopefully MCD will book Black Stone Cherry for Slane with Bon Jovi , if i did head to DL id def choose them over Slipknot

Me thinks I'll be choosing them over the 'Knot, hoping they just get their own tour but I know that's me being greedy :o:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Hummm I think the lineup is getting weaker as it goes on....on the up side this leaves more time for drinking and less time trying to get between stages.

For those new to the camping and planning on bringing alchol just remember you ont be able to bring any glass bottles into the campsite so buy beer in cans and pour your spirits into plastic bottles. Every year tonnes of people get caught by this and its not funny to watch people having to walk away from cases of beer and scrambling about for plastic bottles.

It has also been shockingly wet the last couple of years so while I am hoping for a return of the sun I am planning on having the wellies on standby. If its wet you need boots.....theres no question about it! wellies or whatever but definitely boots....and based on last year I reckon wellies as Im sure a lot of people ended up binning their nice new rocks & docs it was so bad the first few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Fi H wrote: »
    Hummm I think the lineup is getting weaker as it goes on....on the up side this leaves more time for drinking and less time trying to get between stages.

For those new to the camping and planning on bringing alchol just remember you ont be able to bring any glass bottles into the campsite so buy beer in cans and pour your spirits into plastic bottles. Every year tonnes of people get caught by this and its not funny to watch people having to walk away from cases of beer and scrambling about for plastic bottles.

It has also been shockingly wet the last couple of years so while I am hoping for a return of the sun I am planning on having the wellies on standby. If its wet you need boots.....theres no question about it! wellies or whatever but definitely boots....and based on last year I reckon wellies as Im sure a lot of people ended up binning their nice new rocks & docs it was so bad the first few days :)

Wellies, rain pants and rain jacket saved me last year, no problem and with a good tent I managed to keep everything dry all week, would love some sun this year though

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cummins07

Going to grab my ticket in the next few days hopefully! What are your guys thoughts on flying back?

Seems Ryan air only does two flights on the Monday from EM, one at 6.30am and one at 7.30pm!

Seems pretty gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Im getting the late flight on monday. Was the same last year , ended up going to the cinema in derby to kill a few hours.(staying in a hotel so its not to bad)
    i can see your point if your camping you will just want to get the hell out of there
    come monday morning.
    With Rammestein on sunday, early flight is not an option.

Yea, the flights the next day seem to be about 50 pounds cheaper also :( Will see might just have to bite the bullet and sleep in the airport or something.

Anyone know if it is possible to get tickets sent to an address other than that on the credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Cummins07 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to get tickets sent to an address other than that on the credit card?

Not sure about that but when I went a couple of years ago there was an option to pick the tickets up at on site.

Awesome I'll give them an email, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sarnie

Depending on where you live you can fly from East Midlands into Knock at about 1ish. You can also fly back from Manchester. Easy enough to make your way there. Get a bus from Download to Derby, then get the train (change once) to the airport. Did that before a few years back, can't remember too much of the details, but wasn't that much hassle getting to the airport. Plus at least you pass some time travelling instead of hanging around for late East Midlands flight before you have to get on the flight. But of course you'll have to pay for a train ticket then . . . .

I'm flying into Knock this year, live near there. Did the early morning flight to Dublin before. It's actually not too bad, just didn't bother going to sleep in case I missed the flight! Plus you are in Ireland nice and early that way and can head straight home and to bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Cummins07 wrote: »
    Going to grab my ticket in the next few days hopefully! What are your guys thoughts on flying back?

Seems Ryan air only does two flights on the Monday from EM, one at 6.30am and one at 7.30pm!

Seems pretty gross!

Birmingham!! Really is simple go to the bus park outside bout 5-10 mins walk outside site when the festival is over many people will be going there so easy to find not sure how much fare is but around £15 will take just under an hour to reach Birmingham station from there take a local bus to the airport bout 15 mins.

My flight is around 1500 with aerlingus to Dublin, who also fly to Cork while Flybe are operating flights to Waterford I believe. Beats having no sleep/arsin around all day. Also when I booked it was way cheaper than EM.

I don't have much money so trying to do everything as cheaply as possible. I guess depending on when Rammstein finish, could just take a harden up pill and stay up!

Cheers for the input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

could pack sunday night and head straight to airport after gig for early flight (just set really loud alarm) and kip in airport.
    couple of beers and sleep by 2am and you will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hellyeah wrote: »
    could pack sunday night and head straight to airport after gig for early flight (just set really loud alarm) and kip in airport.
    couple of beers and sleep by 2am and you will be grand.

+1. Did this last year, it's really not bad at all, you're wrecked alright as you have no sleep the night before but that's the worst of it. We just hung out with our neighbors and finished off our beers until about 3am and headed to the airport. Showered, had breakfast and in bed by midday the next morning. The idea of sitting in EMA all day, smelling like sh!t waiting for a late flight for the benefit of a few hours sleep in my horrible wet run down tent that i've grown very sick of does not appeal to me :P tbh, even if they did have a 2pm one, I'd still get the 6am flight just for the sake of getting out of there and back home ASAP.

As for flight prices, they are getting pretty low atm, they dropped to €77 return the other day and seem to be hovering around the €90 to €100 point atm.

Have been informed that tickets have arrived - yay! :D

Can't believe this is less than 8 weeks away now, madness. Time to start staying in and gather up a few beer tokens :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

20 euro flights to east midlands on the Thursday morning.... Go go GO!

I'm sure someone has already mentioned it but maybe people could consider flying into Birmingham too? I was looking last night for a friend and I. I'll be in Germany and France beforehand to see Dir en grey so won't be arriving until the Friday morning, but even with the trains included from there to Derby and back, it was a whole £75 cheaper. It might be different for you guys from the south but still, worth a wee look :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yeah am flying home from Birmingham on the Monday because it works out so much cheaper! My flights came to just under 100 euro including a checked in bag.

Flew in and out of Birmingham last year with very little hassle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

I was considering going on the friday to see Slipknot as I live in England now but it would have worked out at over £140. Will definitely go next year as the mighty Trivium should be playing

Happy 50 Days until Download :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Imagine having weather like today:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Arhghgrhgargha can't wait! :D 30+ more bands to come soon. Not expecting much as it'll be the entirety of the fifth stage and the competition winners and stuff, but hopefully a couple of nice bands.

Advertisement