Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2013

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Just found this great footage of Newsted at Download

And, of course, Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Thanks for that. think i was watching airbourne(plus eating pizza) when newsted was on. God i miss him out of metallica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Really glad I saw Newsted actually.... I wasnr sure what to expect but they were good solid thrash! Jason Newsted makes a good frontman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Anyone watching the highlights on Sky Arts 1 tonight? Starts at 11pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Anyone watching the highlights on Sky Arts 1 tonight? Starts at 11pm!

Not me don't have Sky Arts hope one of friends is recording, ah well I'll post my own highlights in a sec.

Warning: Long post incoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Superb weekend say I had a better time this year than last maybe the weather played a part though I did manage to get feckin burnt, met some boardies at airport before grabbing the flight. Caught a Sh*tload of bands heres me rundown...

Friday

I was late arriving into misjudged the walk to arena forgot about that and its longer when youve been drinkin till the early hours so first band of the festival I caught were
    Freefall:Enjoyed them great way to get the ball rollin', very old school sounding next up was...
    Uriah Heep: As oldschool sounding as Freefall were I didnt mean this old I believe the oldest band on the bill seemed to warm up the decent sized crowd they pulled that Stealin' song especially had people goin...not bad not bad at all. Twas time to hit the main stage for the first time for
    Papa Roach: Surprised the hell outta me would more than likely have caught something else were it on offer but a few songs in and glad there wasn't, singer was on top form tearing through the likes of To Be Loved and Getting Away With Murder, during one song he headed offstage greeting audience but also covering himself in mud for no reason whatsoever think he'd run outta steam by Dead Cell before picking it up to close naturally with Last Resort, performance would would nearly sway me to get a ticket for gig in Academy show.
    The Sword: Stoner rock band heavily influenced by Led Zep and Sabbath never caught before even though I believe they were on a Metallica bill I went to a few years ago went down well just came on and pelted through set was over before I knew it great warm up for
    Down: Top Notch even though Phil looked wacked off his face, pounded through Witchtripper, Lifer (which was dedicated to Dime), honestly thought they were finishing with Stone the Crow then boom... Bury Me In Smoke which the jam at the end was played out by what Phil referred to as the future who I believe were the band Hang the Bastard , next up was
    Korn:Good not great wanted to have them play Ball Tongue and Lies with Head back in band, No Place To Hide I thought was all over the place, couldnt help but bang the head to the likes of Here To Stay and Blind of course. They had clashed with both Turistas and Volbeat who back at camp were 2 of the bands people wouldnt stop wafflin on about again enhancing the fact that maybe I'd made a poor choice here anyways
    Bullet For My Valentine: Last time I saw these I honestly thought they were gonna be future headliners even though each release since that time in a tent has been worse and worse their profile has risen and risen only heard some of latest release and thought twas utter scutter so didnt expect much here but they played it safe enough atmosphere fell a bit flat during new tracks but overall the response they got was very positive. If they do wish to build on this they need another solid release and not show up to a crowd still surviving off their first album.
    Slipknot: Just an incredible live act really enjoyed myself seeing these guys again think they’ve definitely set a standard for themselves where you go see them you go home satisfied, setlist was changed a decent bit since the last time I caught them so that’s always a plus. Show had to be cut twice even once during a song (Left Behind) due to issues with the front barrier, very though act for the other headliners to follow.

Saturday

Plenty of beverages consumed but awoke in time to scoff some breakfast and properly judge the trek to the arena for opening to watch
    UFO: A band in the same vein as Uriah Heep the previous day. Only their singer is the only original member. Closed the set with Doctor Doctor the next time I would hear this was before Maiden come on. Fine way to start the day next on to
    Heavens Basement:Who were at the festival last year didn’t catch them and heard only good about them so decided to check them out pulled a big crowd too definitely be checking their album out high energy rock n’ roll with riffs galore singer decided to go crowd surfin as they finished. Crowd noticeably decreased as the next band
    Hardcore Superstar: Were about to come on but they’d defo get you in the mood for early mornin’ beers with the type of gang vocal and lyrical content are pretty much a Swedish Motley Crue. We don’t celebrate Sundays has been stuck in my head from time to time since. Touring later in the year with Buckcherry who had pulled out of the festival and their replacement was who I’d catch next who were
    Black Star Riders: Basically Thin Lizzy goin under a different name releasing new material which is quite good opening with the title track All Hell Breaks Loose and mixing up the set with the new material and the Lizzy classics. Went down very well as Boys Are Back In Town played out I headed for the Red Bull stage to catch
    Black Moth: A female fronted stoner rock band with kinda punky elements, the singer had a great stage presence, they seemed to really enjoy themselves as I did sounded brilliant one to watch will defo pick up their album.
    Mastodon: Saw them in the Academy before I headed over which they played majority of The Hunter thought they’d play more of a festival set which of course would have suited me but they didn’t still enjoyed, can imagine it not goin down well with others even if The Hunter isn’t my favourite album either hearing the songs live actually enhanced my view of it. They went over their set time between 5-10 mins dunno if that had anything got to do with
    Alice in Chains: Starting late. Dunno were they meant to have a backdrop but they didn’t ripped into Them Bones when they did start and immediately had the crowd buzzin’, twas a shame they only got to play for a half hour and you could see frustration on Duvalls face when maybe he was only realising they weren’t been allocated the missed time but addressed the crowd sayin we’re being cut and something along the lines of that’s not gonna work before they played last few songs.
    Motorhead: They are Motorhead and they play Rock N’ Roll, On form today blastin’ out Damage Case, Rock It with class, Duff Mckagan and members of Mastodon could be seen looking on impressed from the side of the stage
    Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats: They bored the feck outta me dunno what the hype is all about, I’ve tickets to see Sabbath in December and these guys got the support slot I reckon I’ll be at the bar.
    Queens of the Stone Age: Walked on straight into Feel Good Hit of the summer and from there stormed through a mixture of new and classic material, really like the new album and have to say I Appear Missing particularly sounded great live.
    Iron Maiden: If you haven’t heard by now flew a spitfire over the crowd before opening up, I had an idea of the classic set they were gonna play it was based around the Seventh Son tour (but adding a few extra that hadn’t been released at that time) anyways avoided setlist to give myself one or two surprises although one ended up being they didn’t play Infinite Dreams one of the best songs on said album anyways when they took to the stage, the first thought was can someone turn it up a little? . Wind was prob the major problem regarding sound filtered off for long periods but mainly it was first half of set. Anyway soon managed to sing me ring as did most of the crowd. Highlights were certainly Fear of the Dark and Phantom of the Opera.

Sunday

Managed to be up early again to catch opening act on main stage…
    Sacred Mother Tongue: Prob one of the dodgiest slots a band could get opening the last day have their e.p. and its ok newer tracks they played didn’t exactly entice me to rush out and get the album. They were decent enough that’s its obvious that theyre talented guys including the new bassist but cant put my finger on why as a unit they should be a tighter outfit.
    Hellyeah: This supergroup of sorts (Ex Pantera/Mudvayne/Damageplan) wake me the hell up really enjoyable stuff, shocked as the only album I have by them Stampede I thought stank but on this display they might be worth a second look even if most of the songs seem to suggest we are cowboys we’re feckin deadly, Drink, drank drunk almost had me at the bar by noon…almost
    Coal Chamber: Quite entertaining and drew a big crowd, circlepits and the works at this hour finishing with Sway…after the dust settled and they left the stage the reality is this has to have been one of the most pointless comebacks of all time.
    Five Finger Death Punch: Only familiar with a few of their songs was never really convinced by them for some reason (that was a silly mistake) they were unbelievable, previously at this festival they had the plug pulled on them for inciting riots which Ivan (singer) mentioned but proceeded to ask the crowd that hed like to meet them, some of his actions including telling a security person if he ruffed another kid up badly he’d personally come down and break his nose made you think the plug would be pulled any second again. Supporting Avenged Sevenfold in Dublin should be a cracker.
    Radkey: Possibly the youngest band at the festival. A 3 piece, brothers I imagine rocked the Red Bull stage singing style wouldn’t be worlds apart from Misfits/Ramones in fact one of the band members was wearing a Ramones t-shirt so imagine are a big influence were well worth checking out.
    Stone Sour: Corey Taylor and Jim Root return to the stage for the second time of the weekend this time with SS, opened up with the Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero combo really great, unfortunately when band left stage and Corey to play nutshell I don’t think many of the crowd knew the song (Alice in Chains cover) groans and dozens leavin killed the atmosphere for a slight bit I have to say, after they finished with the superb 30/30-150 it was off to the second stage to see
    Ghost: Well this was different, if they didn’t have the mystery element and wardrobe that they do its hard to imagine this band being at the festival when only taking the music into account this is the most packed I saw this stage all weekend it truly was well mobbed was cool to see them in daylight in fact I think twas watching them I got sunburnt!! Ritual is a tune outta the top drawer!! Stayed at same stage for
    Airbourne: Massive crowd remains, even though it’s a shame they often get dismissed by many due to the whole rip-off AC/DC thing ah well missin out they are, mic problems were an issue at start but they got them fixed highlights included solo in Raise the Flag in crowd, new track Live it Up and Runnin Wild. Would love to see at their own show next was to Pepsi Max stage.
    P.O.D.: Remember them? band from the height of nu-metal. I’ve seen plenty of bands live in my time and think these could possibly be the worst live act ive seen truly atrocious funny thing is the tent was mobbed and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. A crowd surfer who I saw getting booted out of pit by security 3 times (he kept goin back for more) haha kept me more entertained than the band did. Obviously played Alive and for some reason finished with a brutal cover of Sublimes What I Got. Right that got me in the mood for beers said Id wander down to bar by Main stage as I’d have no hope getting a decent spot for the mighty Rammstein but to my shock what the hell?? Sub act 30 seconds are on and there is multiple gaps in the crowd, they sounded good although the band I just watched could’ve influenced that but I’ve no business listening to them just not my thing. I had doubts about Bullet subbing and they were quashed but this was a massive flop headlining Second stage maybe the better option in fact Id nearly say more people were at Ghost/Airbourne than watchin main here. Ah well few brews and good spot for
    Rammstein: Absolute quality of the highest order changed a few songs around possibly 2-3 since I last seen them last the show in the point which was only a year and a bit ago, I would be pushing it if I said it was better than that gig some of the sh*t they do just isn’t possible outdoors, but bloody hell blew me away yet again great way to end the festival saved the best till last. Back to camp for some more beers before packing and taking a zombie-like walk out of the site, went so well I might just do it again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Was Sky+'ing it there while I switched between Old School and Die Hard With A Vengeance, watching it from the start now. First couple of tracks they played was from Slipknot, actually reminded me of how indifferent I felt about their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I've got part 1 of Download 2013 recording at the moment, something to pass away time tomorrow afternoon,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Haha! Just seen myself on Sky Arts jamming out to "Hail The Leaf" by Down! Head banging away to that savage breakdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Damn!! Didnt know this was on last night. Recording tonights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Watched it on Sky the weekend. Bloody ads!!! Twas gas. I was flicking between Glastonbury and Download on tv last night. Mumfords came on the BBC and I switched over to Alice in Chains doing Dam the River \m/

Might head over to it next year, and I'll be 37!!

Advertisement