Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Download Festival 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

:Dtickets bought plus hotel booked.
    Wont be long now!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,839 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do people generally prefer to camp or use a hotel for these things?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ya gotta camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Camp. Until you get too old and haggard to do so. And then you still camp, albeit possibly in RIP.

Half the fun is in the campsite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Another +1 on camping. It's not nice when you actually have to go to sleep and you literally smell like sh!t after a few days but you also miss out on all the activities in the village and general randomness with neighbors. Plus I'm sure it's a good bit cheaper and when you're already shelling out a few hundred for tickets and flights, every bit saved is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Getting to close to 40 for camping, so hotel all the way. Cant beat a shower at end of the day and a few scoups in the hotel bar. Always a large metal crowd in the hotels in derby so good craic to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

+1 on the hotel, nothing like havin a nice hot shower wit no queue, being able to crap on a proper bog too is a BIGGGG bonus.

Think it was '06 we stayed at The Travelodge on the M1, only a mile or 2 away from the site, one mornign we were walking out, headed to the site and this bird was walking in, totally stunning, as a jaws open moment, 2 steps behind was the guy she was wit.....Peter fcukin Stringfellow :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm keeping a close eye on the travelodge in loughborough at the moment. Can get some bus that goes to the site. Tis cheaper than staying in Derby and getting the shuttle bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 6ftTallGuy

Holy sh1t, Slipknot on a Friday, Iron Maiden on Saturday and Rammstein to bring the fun & games to an explosive bang on the Sunday, damn wish i could go to Download Festival

• Advertisement

6ftTallGuy wrote: »
    Holy sh1t, Slipknot on a Friday, Iron Maiden on Saturday and Rammstein to bring the fun & games to an explosive bang on the Sunday, damn wish i could go to Download Festival

So go then, simples ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 6ftTallGuy

scudzilla wrote: »
    So go then, simples ;)

I'd go if i could afford it. but unfortunately i can't :(

It's 8 Months away... Try and save 20 quid a week, and you can buy a ticket at xmas. Keep an eye on cheap ryanair flights (you can get return for 50 euro if you book at the right time). Borrow a tent? Do it on the cheap?

I agree it's a lotta money, but it can be done at a push when you have this much time to prepare :) I first went when I was working part time, and earning about 200 euro a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Looking for hotel recommendations as I'm also the wrong age for camping. Doesn't have to be five star but I'd like somewhere it's easy enough to get to and from the gig....

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

download_300x300_js_270912.jpg

download_300x300_js_270912.jpg

Considering Slipknot have been announced as headliners that's a load of crap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

scudzilla wrote: »
    Considering Slipknot have been announced as headliners that's a load of crap

And you can also rule out Stone Sour ha

And you can also rule out Stone Sour ha

Well considering Clown said on radio that Stone Sour will certainly be playing another day, we can't rule them out.

I think one band are getting roped in. Slipknot also doing very few shows next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I went in 1991.
    The Black Crowes, Queensryche, Motley Crue, Metallica and AC/DC.
    Great days!

I'd go if i could afford it. but unfortunately i can't :(

It's also worth considering buying a ticket through the deposit scheme. £60 when you buy the ticket and then 2 extra payments due mid to late January and the last in April. It's definitely achievable. Having said that, tickets are unlikely to sell out for some time anyway so the €20 a week route would also be a good idea.

Still loads of time left to sort out all the costs if you really wanted to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Got my ticket. I'd say we'll be lucky to get more than one announcement before Christmas unfortunately :(

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Well considering Clown said on radio that Stone Sour will certainly be playing another day, we can't rule them out.

I think one band are getting roped in. Slipknot also doing very few shows next year.

Ah right didnt know that , suppose they could do Sunday

Could do either day. Sunday would suit Corey so well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Camping tickets won't sell out til May at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

From Twitter:

@DownloadFest:

BBCR1ScuzzTV at 9pm - make sure you tune in #DL2013

Hopefully decent bands, since the tickets are already purchased :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

The Gaslight anthem, 30 seconds to Mars, HIM, Motorhead, Alice in Chains and QOTSA announced:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I'll be honest, the teenager in me got very excited at the idea of seeing HIM :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/news/seven-more-bands-added-line-up-5-nov-2012

Another band being announced at 9

'while US rockers ??????? will make their third appearance'

Ahh nice one, Motorhead and Alice in chains. Spent a fortune on these tickets so was hoping for that.

A day to remember.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

And Dave Grohl back in QOTSA
    excitement!

• Advertisement

Well, now we know how Dave Grohl was planning on spending the Foo Fighers hiatus. He has returned to Queens of the Stone Age, the alternative band fronted by former Kyuss guitarist Josh Homme that he drummed for in 2002.

Speaking to BBC’s Radio 1 today, Homme confirmed that drummer Joey Castillo was no longer in the band. However, shortly before Homme made the announcement, the band posted the above picture of a mixing board to its Facebook page. “Dave Drums” is written on the strip to denote which tracks are used for the drums.

This is Grohl’s second stint with Queens of the Stone Age. He played on one album, ‘Songs for the Deaf,’ which is their most commercially successful album to date, having sold close to 1 million copies and spawned two hit singles, ‘No One Knows’ and ‘Go With the Flow.’ Castillo replaced Grohl for the tour in support of the record.

Grohl has also worked with Homme in Them Crooked Vultures, which featured John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin on bass. They released a self-titled album in 2009. The new Queens of the Stone Age record is expected in early 2013.

Grohl has stated that he remains committed to the Foo Fighters, even though they are currently taking a break of indefinite length.

Queens-of-the-Stone-Age-Facebook.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Any idea what happened with Castillo? I presume there was a falling out? Anyhoo Grohl's a focking beast on the pots and pans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Any idea what happened with Castillo? I presume there was a falling out? Anyhoo Grohl's a focking beast on the pots and pans.

No clues really about what happened with Joey yet. The "announcement" on Radio 1 was just a snippet of a longer interview that Zane Lowe did with Josh Homme, that will be played on Lowe's show at a later date. More will presumably be revealed then.

No clues really about what happened with Joey yet. The "announcement" on Radio 1 was just a snippet of a longer interview that Zane Lowe did with Josh Homme, that will be played on Lowe's show at a later date. More will presumably be revealed then.

I thought Castillo really grew into the role. For the first few years he tended to play the songs at a rushed tempo. He’ll be sorely missed, great gig for whoever gets the job on a permanent basis.

I thought Castillo really grew into the role. For the first few years he tended to play the songs at a rushed tempo. He’ll be sorely missed, great gig for whoever gets the job on a permanent basis.

He always sped up the songs. Hopefully they can get their groove in a live setting back. Will still miss him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Wow I was thinking of going to Rock Am Ring but that is a cracking line up so far.

There was a photo somewhere online recently of Josh Freese with Homme. He could be a contender to replace Joey. He has drummed in the Desert Sessions before and co-wrote "In My Head".

There was a photo somewhere online recently of Josh Freese with Homme. He could be a contender to replace Joey. He has drummed in the Desert Sessions before and co-wrote "In My Head".

That's a great call.

Actually Claude Coleman could be in with a shout now that Ween have split up. He has played live with Eagles of Death Metal recently. I had assumed he was filling in because Joey was recording the Queens album, but if Joey fell out with QOTSA he'll be gone from EODM too.

This is all assuming that Grohl will go back to the Foos at some stage.

• Advertisement

The only clues as to Joeys departure were the pics Troy had on twitter of only 4 of them, and then the piece of paper on the snare drum, saying joey wouldn't need notes. So it sounds fairly friendly anyway on first impression.

Other suggestions be good, but it has Daves name on the mixing board.

Volbeat added to the lineup today

This will be my fourth Summer in a row going to a festival where Dave Grohl makes an appearance in some form :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Whats the Download experience like?

Apart from the music what is the general atmosphere like, state of the camp ect

Cheers.

2013 is gonna be my first download experience :D

Whats the Download experience like?

Apart from the music what is the general atmosphere like, state of the camp ect

It's nice enough really. There's loads more old people than you get at Oxegen/Reading etc. So It's a little quieter than other major festivals. But it depends which spot you're in, I remember being in (blue? whichever one is super close to the village) the last night of the festival before and there were a few tents lit up well before the headliner had finished.

If you want quiet you can also get family camping tickets.

There's loads of entertainment like comedians and wrestling on in the village from Wednesday onwards, and the bar in the Village is a good price cause it sells cans. The silent disco goes on until like 3am too, so there's loads to do.

Everybody I met was really friendly, all the neighbours sharing beer and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's nice enough really. There's loads more old people than you get at Oxegen/Reading etc. So It's a little quieter than other major festivals. But it depends which spot you're in, I remember being in (blue? whichever one is super close to the village) the last night of the festival before and there were a few tents lit up well before the headliner had finished.

If you want quiet you can also get family camping tickets.

There's loads of entertainment like comedians and wrestling on in the village from Wednesday onwards, and the bar in the Village is a good price cause it sells cans. The silent disco goes on until like 3am too, so there's loads to do.

Everybody I met was really friendly, all the neighbours sharing beer and stuff.

Cheers for the info, Its great to hear that its a more mature audience. thats exactly what im looking for.

Myself and my bird went for the 5 day camping but we thought that the campsite was just opening on the Wednesday to facilitate earlier arrivals ect and had no idea that there would be entertainment provided in the Village. We may have to alter our plans :D

Loving the idea of the friendly neighbourly atmosphere, cannot wait for this to kick off

• Advertisement

Agree with fewtinsoffroth, was my first year this year and despite the constant p!ssing rain, it ended up being a great laugh, no real scumbags to speak of (or if there were we certainly didn't cross paths with em). Most of the people there are actually into the music rather then going to just to cause trouble etc. but there's still lots of craic to be had, loads of sound and eccentric people, sharing cans between neighbors etc.

Also plenty to keep you busy in the village in the 2 days before the festival and they seem to be taking feedback on the forum for improving entertainment so might be even more next year. Donington village is nearby also for picking up cheap supplies and also if you want to go for a proper, well priced breakfast in the morning rather then starting the day off with garlic cheese chips and a batter sausage that costs £7/8 :p

Mushy wrote: »
    Other suggestions be good, but it has Daves name on the mixing board.
    Dave is on the album, but I doubt he'll be sticking around for too long afterwards. Like when Joey came in after Songs for the Deaf.

Dave is on the album, but I doubt he'll be sticking around for too long afterwards. Like when Joey came in after Songs for the Deaf.

You never know he might tour with them since FF are on hiatus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

2013 is going to be my first visit to Download. I'm going alone so I was just thinking if anyone is in the same situation we could have like a Boards meet up group? Just an idea.

2013 is going to be my first visit to Download. I'm going alone so I was just thinking if anyone is in the same situation we could have like a Boards meet up group? Just an idea.

I usually go with a bunch of people I met in the Sonisphere version of Camp Loner :D While you get a good few people on here who will go, I would say you are best off joining the festival forums themselves, as they have a whole section dedicated to camps and meet-ups.

• Advertisement
Advertisement