Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Volbeat added to the lineup today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

This will be my fourth Summer in a row going to a festival where Dave Grohl makes an appearance in some form :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Whats the Download experience like?

Apart from the music what is the general atmosphere like, state of the camp ect

Cheers.

2013 is gonna be my first download experience :D

It's nice enough really. There's loads more old people than you get at Oxegen/Reading etc. So It's a little quieter than other major festivals. But it depends which spot you're in, I remember being in (blue? whichever one is super close to the village) the last night of the festival before and there were a few tents lit up well before the headliner had finished.

If you want quiet you can also get family camping tickets.

There's loads of entertainment like comedians and wrestling on in the village from Wednesday onwards, and the bar in the Village is a good price cause it sells cans. The silent disco goes on until like 3am too, so there's loads to do.

Everybody I met was really friendly, all the neighbours sharing beer and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's nice enough really. There's loads more old people than you get at Oxegen/Reading etc. So It's a little quieter than other major festivals. But it depends which spot you're in, I remember being in (blue? whichever one is super close to the village) the last night of the festival before and there were a few tents lit up well before the headliner had finished.

If you want quiet you can also get family camping tickets.

There's loads of entertainment like comedians and wrestling on in the village from Wednesday onwards, and the bar in the Village is a good price cause it sells cans. The silent disco goes on until like 3am too, so there's loads to do.

Everybody I met was really friendly, all the neighbours sharing beer and stuff.

Cheers for the info, Its great to hear that its a more mature audience. thats exactly what im looking for.

Myself and my bird went for the 5 day camping but we thought that the campsite was just opening on the Wednesday to facilitate earlier arrivals ect and had no idea that there would be entertainment provided in the Village. We may have to alter our plans :D

Loving the idea of the friendly neighbourly atmosphere, cannot wait for this to kick off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Agree with fewtinsoffroth, was my first year this year and despite the constant p!ssing rain, it ended up being a great laugh, no real scumbags to speak of (or if there were we certainly didn't cross paths with em). Most of the people there are actually into the music rather then going to just to cause trouble etc. but there's still lots of craic to be had, loads of sound and eccentric people, sharing cans between neighbors etc.

Also plenty to keep you busy in the village in the 2 days before the festival and they seem to be taking feedback on the forum for improving entertainment so might be even more next year. Donington village is nearby also for picking up cheap supplies and also if you want to go for a proper, well priced breakfast in the morning rather then starting the day off with garlic cheese chips and a batter sausage that costs £7/8 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Mushy wrote: »
    Other suggestions be good, but it has Daves name on the mixing board.
    Dave is on the album, but I doubt he'll be sticking around for too long afterwards. Like when Joey came in after Songs for the Deaf.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dave is on the album, but I doubt he'll be sticking around for too long afterwards. Like when Joey came in after Songs for the Deaf.

You never know he might tour with them since FF are on hiatus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

2013 is going to be my first visit to Download. I'm going alone so I was just thinking if anyone is in the same situation we could have like a Boards meet up group? Just an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

2013 is going to be my first visit to Download. I'm going alone so I was just thinking if anyone is in the same situation we could have like a Boards meet up group? Just an idea.

I usually go with a bunch of people I met in the Sonisphere version of Camp Loner :D While you get a good few people on here who will go, I would say you are best off joining the festival forums themselves, as they have a whole section dedicated to camps and meet-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Cheers.

2013 is gonna be my first download experience :D

Download is a fantastic experience, headed there for the past 3 years and have seen some unbelievable acts (Gwar :D ) and it's always been amazing1 Weather was crap last year but after the group I was with embraced the rain we realised it was still as fun as ever! The atmosphere around the campsite is brilliant, loads of fans who just want to have a good time and listen to punk/rock/metal, missed a lot of acts due to not wanting to leave the campsite it was so good! The absence of scumbags is a big, big plus for Download!

I'd recommend the 5 day camping, the first 2 days have no acts but you get all the fun of getting to know your neighbours and getting used to the place. Made some friends there last year that were from Newry and ended up going on the piss with them in Belfast a few months later!

I'm hoping to head back there again next year but it's going to be thesis submission time so not sure if i'll be able to justify another 5 day trip to Donington :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

DThe absence of scumbags is a big, big plus for Download!
    +1
    Ive been to gigs all over the world, always had a blast,

Yet here in this little country the scumbags run riot always,

Glad you had a blast :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I usually go with a bunch of people I met in the Sonisphere version of Camp Loner :D While you get a good few people on here who will go, I would say you are best off joining the festival forums themselves, as they have a whole section dedicated to camps and meet-ups.

Thanks for that. Will check some out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ithiliendude

Who's going to Download this year?! I super super super want to go, but none of my mates can afford it this time around because they went last year.

I'm just sending out feelers to see if there's other Irish people heading over so I'm not alonely! =P

Bullet For My Valentine are subbing slipknot on Friday

Andy Copping ‏@Maverick_AC
    Let's take bets as to who else will 'leak' their Download appearance!! Yes, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE are doing Download 2013
    @IngloriousTward @bfmvofficial Friday, under Slipknot

Every ****ing year. I saw them play fourth from top at Reading this year, absolute waste of a mainstage sub slot.

Every ****ing year. I saw them play fourth from top at Reading this year, absolute waste of a mainstage sub slot.

Copping ****ing loves them and Black Veil Brides:confused:

They're playing Roundhouse in London on their headline tour next year. That's like 3,000 capacity. Their arena tour was a flop even with massive support.

Kinda pissed off that I don't like any of the subs but you win some and lose some I guess.

They're playing Roundhouse in London on their headline tour next year. That's like 3,000 capacity. Their arena tour was a flop even with massive support.

Kinda pissed off that I don't like any of the subs but you win some and lose some I guess.

Presume Queens and 30stm are gonna be the other subs? Or maybe Queens as a 2nd stage headliner

Presume Queens and 30stm are gonna be the other subs? Or maybe Queens as a 2nd stage headliner

I might be making it up actually but I have it in my head for some reason that Bullet, 30stm and Queens are the subs. No second stage headliners announced yet.

• Advertisement

I might be making it up actually but I have it in my head for some reason that Bullet, 30stm and Queens are the subs. No second stage headliners announced yet.

Yea was thinking the same , i could see Rammstein/Queens and Maiden/30STM

Yea was thinking the same , i could see Rammstein/Queens and Maiden/30STM

Again i have no source but I think it's Slipknot/Bullet, Maiden/Queens, Rammstein/30stm.

I'll have a google now :p I could totally be wrong but that's just in my head for some reason.

Yeah it seems somebody posted this at Andy Copping who confirmed that it was right (apparently).

Interesting to see Him headlining third stage. Also interesting that apparently Iron Maiden have asked nobody else to be on whilst they are playing (for another dvd I guess?). I don't really care that much about queens of the stone age so hopefully the second stage headliner is good.

Can't post the picture, it was this anyway;

Info gleaned from Andy Copping's tweets:

Main stage, Saturday
    Queens Of The Stone Age (act before Iron Maiden)
    Motorhead
    Alice In Chains

Main Stage Sunday:
    30 Seconds To Mars (act before Rammstein)
    Gaslight Anthem (act before 30 Seconds ...)

2nd Stage Sunday:
    A Day To Remember (not headlining)

3rd Stage Friday:
    Him (Headline)

Sorry for the triple post :/

Can't post the picture, it was this anyway;

Sorry for the triple post :/

Would have thought Queens into Rammstein would have worked better but maybe its due to scheduling etc .
    Looks like Maiden are doing an ACDC having all the other stages finished while they are on (which is very diva-ish)
    Yea its weird Him doing 3rd since they headlined the second stage back in 2004

Yup, looks like queens are on Maiden day, which means they'll clash with the second stage headliner.

149139_10151532792519202_927400569_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Friday has slipknot and bfmv, saturday has maiden, qotsa, motorhead, aic. Sunday has rammstein then 30stm.

Think Him and Volbeat are both Friday aswell. Him headlining 3rd, Volbeat second stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

30STM seem like a really odd sub-headliner to Rammstein....

• Advertisement

I don't understand why people say that, it's not like they're touring support. They just play the festival whichever day suits the touring schedule, they don't have to match up and download go out of their way to vary the line up as much as possible. Although yeah it's unfortunate they book crap like 30stm.

Advertisement