Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky door to door

• 20-09-2012 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

About once a week sky send a new gang of sales people to my road .
    Are these people getting commision only ?

I think if so they are exploiting alot of people just to raise awareness . I have a contract with upc how is hiring another gang of "you only get paid if you sell sky " people going to change that ?
    Have you done this work?
    Did it last?
    Did you make anything?
    Why do you always arrive when im having a nap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

they keep lying to me and telling me that sky do broadband when they dont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

davet82 wrote: »

Well I think sky are re-branding Eircoms broadband shortly and offering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

answer the door without any pants on. they wont come back.

unless you're a beautiful woman. that will only increase the frequency in which they call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

FatherLen wrote: »
    answer the door without any pants on. they wont come back.

unless you're a beautiful woman. that will only increase the frequency in which they call.
    But they do come back . They just sucker some other jobless sap into doing it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

If it's what I think it is they're not working for sky. They're working for a sales company that work for sky.
    So basically, yes, they're going around on commission trying to get suckers to sign up with lots of lies.

I went in for something like that once. All sounded fine and dandy till I realized something... I'd have to pay for my own transport, wouldn't be guaranteed a wage and would have to work till about 8 or 9 at night.

Sometimes you can get a base wage, depends on the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I worked with Pirates for a month we went door to door in front of the sky sales men telling people they could get everything online for free.

Well I think sky are re-branding Eircoms broadband shortly and offering that.

i told the same guy two years ago i have a phone/broadband/tv budle and when sky offer the same i'll consider switching over but the stupid fecker knocks back every few weeks, i'm gonna start chasing his with a brush out of me garden shouting wheres me broadband ye lying fcuker :D

"I'm renting"

Always gets rid of them in an instant :D

ScumLord wrote: »
    I worked with Pirates for a month we went door to door in front of the sky sales men telling people they could get everything online for free.

:eek: Did you get to wear an eye patch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sky are offering broadband in Ireland soon.

I find that if you answer the door to these people by accident I just say I'm with whatever product/service they're offering already.

Can't argue with that.

"Hi can I talk to you about Sky?"
    "I already have it. Thanks."

"Hi would you like to sponsor me for a...."
    "Already did it. Thanks."

Door. Closed. Problem. Solved.

• Advertisement

"I'm renting"

Always gets rid of them in an instant :D

How come? A few people I know that rent got the UPC digital in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

i told the same guy two years ago i have a phone/broadband/tv budle and when sky offer the same i'll consider switching over but the stupid fecker knocks back every few weeks, i'm gonna start chasing his with a brush out of me garden shouting wheres me broadband ye lying fcuker :D

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/28529-sky-broadband-and-sky-talk

You can get it all with sky shortly! If that's what you want.

Given the choice I'll always get sky TV and UPC broadband. The sky box is perfect, UPCs is a dog slow, jittery heap of shat. Everytime I go to my parents and think about watching TV, I see their UPC remote and I just say to myself "not worth it"

hence upc loose lots of money :pac:

Only works for sky as it needs a dish, most landlords won't let you put up a dish!

hence upc loose lots of money :pac:

Pretend I have the IQ of an idiot.
    Now, explain to me because I am really confused. :o

:eek: Did you get to wear an eye patch?
    Of course, how would they know your a pirate otherwise?

Only works for sky as it needs a dish, most landlords won't let you put up a dish!

Ah but missus! Ya see thanks to the new revolutionary Sky boxes, you don't even need a dish!
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/boxes/skyinyourapartment/

Would ya like to sign up there? Only 30 quid and you get spam mail every 5 seconds, well worth it. Sure I do be loving the movie channels!
    Movies cost extra, just give me some fecking money

Ah but missus! Ya see thanks to the new revolutionary Sky boxes, you don't even need a dish!
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/boxes/skyinyourapartment/

Would ya like to sign up there? Only 30 quid and you get spam mail every 5 seconds, well worth it. Sure I do be loving the movie channels!
    Movies cost extra, just give me some fecking money

I live in a house :cool:

in my experince with both providers...

sky cut you off a day late after a missed payment and usually expect a month in advance then with the arrears

upc give you a couple of months to pay then cut you off pull the cable out of the back and you get another month with basic cable

if your renting and you move on you can dodge a few months of bills with upc, sky i find are more difficult.

sky cut you off a day late after a missed payment and usually expect a month in advance then with the arrears

upc give you a couple of months to pay then cut you off pull the cable out of the back and you get another month with basic cable

if your renting and you move on you can dodge a few months of bills with upc, sky i find are more difficult.
    Yeah upc have me number and trusted me not to be a snake so I try do the right thing . I dont wanna change me number .

• Advertisement

I live in a house :cool:

Ah well missus ya see we don't even need the dish. Because all you need is a phoneline that you get with Sky!
    only 30 quid extra
    I think it doesn't even cost more than a fiver a month!

Ah shure just sign up and ya get all these luverly channels!
    Don't watch any? Ah well don't worry there's something for everyone! And since you own your own house, you must be rich so you'd love shopping on the QVC network!

The worst part of all this is I never even tried to feckin' sell to anyone. I could probably be great at it!

Ah scamming the scammers!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course, how would they know your a pirate otherwise?

Well I feel stupid :o

Did you know pirates wore eye patches to keep one eye accustomed to darkness. They would switch eyes with the patch for jumping down into the cabins of the boat . This way they wouldnt be squinting for five minutes before they can see anything . Ingenious really .

cloptrop wrote: »
    Did you know pirates wore eye patches to keep one eye accustomed to darkness. They would switch eyes with the patch for jumping down into the cabins of the boat . This way they wouldnt be squinting for five minutes before they can see anything . Ingenious really .

Well saying "it's used a tactical device to become accustomed to darkness" is a lot better than "I thought it'd make look cool for the women".

Well, that's my one new thing for today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The fuppers called to my pensioner parents a couple of weeks ago and tried to tell them that they'd have to have Sky if they wanted to keep watching TV after the analogue switch off.

"I thought it'd make look cool for the women".

that would have been my opinion... arragghh

There's also a tiny monitor inside the patch so we can be constantly illegally downloading protected content while on the move.

The fuppers called to my pensioner parents a couple of weeks ago and tried to tell them that they'd have to have Sky if they wanted to keep watching TV after the analogue switch off.

I'd say to your parents to just ask them for a leaflet and tell them you handle the bills and all.
    Better that than actually having them signed up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

About once a week sky send a new gang of sales people to my road .
    I fúcking hate sky with a passion. I've never known peace like I've had over the last few months since I got my 'No cold callers' sign. I had to put one up, while their doing their job bladdy blah I don't want to take it out on them. I've had a very bad experience with them, and the cúnts are still sending me post.

This refer a friend shyte... I'll pay anyone the tenner they're looking for to talk them out of it :mad:

Breathe Abs... breeeeathhee...

Abi wrote: »
    I fúcking hate sky with a passion. I've never known peace like I've had over the last few months since I got my 'No cold callers' sign. I had to put one up, while their doing their job bladdy blah I don't want to take it out on them. I've had a very bad experience with them, and the cúnts are still sending me post.

This refer a friend shyte... I'll pay anyone the tenner they're looking for to talk them out of it :mad:

Breathe Abs... breeeeathhee...

It's not really Sky going around door to door from what I remember. It's honestly just companies that do the advertising and some of that can be really lazy and just go to the same few areas.

It's not really Sky going around door to door from what I remember. It's honestly just companies that do the advertising and some of that can be really lazy and just go to the same few areas.
    Do you mean that they call in an agency? well either way, their commission make them very pushy, certainly from my experience of them ( a lot). Sky, airticity, and ESB are my biggest peeves. I'm with airtricity, wouldn't you think they'd provide them with a list of the homes that they already supply to? :confused:

Do you mean that they call in an agency? well either way, their commission make them very pushy, certainly from my experience of them ( a lot). Sky, airticity, and ESB are my biggest peeves. I'm with airtricity, wouldn't you think they'd provide them with a list of the homes that they already supply to? :confused:

Yeah, pretty much that. I was going to work for one and the thing was basically "well this month we're doing charity work and last month it was for Sky". I think Sky does do it with their own people but I don't recall it ever. Most places don't get a base wage so yes, the commission is the only reason they're so city.

I'm not sure if they would. Even if they did, most times I was told that we'd basically go to an area and then fan out and just go door to door. And it would take anywhere between a day to a week depending on how many people refused to answer.

And it would take anywhere between a day to a week depending on how many people refused to answer.

Whoooa there horsey.. do you mean that you had to go back to the unanswered doors?

Whoooa there horsey.. do you mean that you had to go back to the unanswered doors?

I last one day before I politely told them "no thank you, this isn't for me".
    It depends. But for the most part the team leader would expect you to go back around a second time. Usually twice in the one day. So say you go the place at 1pm, get done with one trip an hour later, move on, then about 4pm have lunch then go back to the start and travel around again.

I think with the girl I was with we went around 3 areas about twice. But she was fine enough getting 3 people to sign up (it was a charity thing) and she got 90 euro for that.

But depending on how eager people are/if they have a quota then yeah you can be looking at having them knock around a few times in a day over a few days to get an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Every focking week, all full of jip, the lot of them. TBH I'd much rather have Sky but the old dear hates them with a passion. A few years back their CS wasn't in Ireland and my mother had awful trouble from them so she cut it off straight away and will never go back.

Last caller became really cheeky and aggressive saying that Sky own the cables or some **** like that so she should change anyway because UPC are paying Sky. Old dear was having none of it opens the door and our dog big scary dogs just stood at the front door looking at the poor girl. Needless to say she walked backwards slowly out the gate :D

I do love chatting up the good looking sales people at the door though. Confident boost for myself because no one else listens to my

I last one day before I politely told them "no thank you, this isn't for me".
    It depends. But for the most part the team leader would expect you to go back around a second time. Usually twice in the one day. So say you go the place at 1pm, get done with one trip an hour later, move on, then about 4pm have lunch then go back to the start and travel around again.
    I'm glad you did, I don't want to hate you :p
    I think with the girl I was with we went around 3 areas about twice. But she was fine enough getting 3 people to sign up (it was a charity thing) and she got 90 euro for that.

But depending on how eager people are/if they have a quota then yeah you can be looking at having them knock around a few times in a day over a few days to get an answer.
    Unless I'm expecting anyone I never answer the door. Some of the knocks were quite persistent so I put a sign up. I've quite a few actually, no religious sorts, junk mail etc. I'd rather not have all that outside my house, but it is the only way I'll get any peace. It angered me that I am bombarded every where I go for my money, and I couldn't even be left alone in my home. I give to charity, but I can't save the world either. As far as the sales sorts go, hate is a strong word, but it's not far off the mark. It's not them personally, just they call it commission, I call it harassment (at this stage).

I'm glad you did, I don't want to hate you :p

Unless I'm expecting anyone I never answer the door. Some of the knocks were quite persistent so I put a sign up. I've quite a few actually, no religious sorts, junk mail etc. I'd rather not have all that outside my house, but it is the only way I'll get any peace. It angered me that I am bombarded every where I go for my money, and I couldn't even be left alone in my home. I give to charity, but I can't save the world either. As far as the sales sorts go, hate is a strong word, but it's not far off the mark. It's not them personally, just they call it commission, I call it harassment (at this stage).

Oh no! Do hate me! I did technically go around with the girl for a few hours. I feel great shame now though about it :pac:

It just depends. Some companies and their team leaders are basically "try get an answer". Most times people aren't going to be too determined to get an answer.
    Fun facts: I was told the best time is between 5:30 and 7 in the evening because "that's why you know they'll be done work". That if a bloke answers and tells you they're busy then you send one of the girls around later on so they can flirt their way into a convo.

It's ridiculous at how bad it is though if you get one of the lunatics in charge of a team or if you do it with one of the companies that demand a certain quota.

The best thing was that the place I was going to go with had us getting 30 euro per sign up but it was done by direct debit that cost 15 quid a month. Mad the entire thing was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I had one before when I was living in Cork.

"No, sorry. I don't want Sky myself and the other guys in the house are Polish and they have Polish digital*."
    "Jesus! The place is fùcking crawling with them, isn't it?!"

I mean did he think for one second before he spoke. If I live with them, chances are I like them and have no problem with their Polishness. And considering one is my OH and the other was his brother, I didn't take too kindly to his comment.

*As a side, Polish digital (Cyfra+ in my case) is miles better than Sky. You have almost all of the same channels, and at the flick of a button, off goes the Polish dubbing. They don't charge extra for HD because they realise it's 2012, not 2005. Full package with Canal+ movie channels and HBO for the princely sum of (usually) €44/month, depending on the euro/zloty exchange rate. Moved to Poland this month for work, and I'm in the process of getting it in my new place right now. Honestly, I'm not on commission for them!!

number10a wrote: »

"No, sorry. I don't want Sky myself and the other guys in the house are Polish and they have Polish digital*."
    "Jesus! The place is f1ucking crawling with them, isn't it?!"

I mean did he think for one second before he spoke. If I live with them, chances are I like them and have no problem with their Polishness. And considering one is my OH and the other was his brother, I didn't take too kindly to his comment.

*As a side, Polish digital (Cyfra+ in my case) is miles better than Sky. You have almost all of the same channels, and at the flick of a button, off goes the Polish dubbing. They don't charge extra for HD because they realise it's 2012, not 2005. Full package with Canal+ movie channels and HBO for the princely sum of (usually) €44/month, depending on the euro/zloty exchange rate. Moved to Poland this month for work, and I'm in the process of getting it in my new place right now. Honestly, I'm not on commission for them!!

Banned for shilling
    Sorry, I had to. :pac:

• Advertisement

"Jesus! The place is fùcking crawling with them, isn't it?!"

How do you get this cyfra thing . Does it have sports channels and broadband with this and do I need a dish .

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Apparently (ie,may/may not be true) signing up for sky at the door or supermarket stands doesnt give you the same come back as doing it through the official sky numbers. They are independent contractors and if you've a problem 'real sky' wont deal with it.

(sky installer dude told me this.....may possibly be biased!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

How do you get this cyfra thing . Does it have sports channels and broadband with this and do I need a dish .

Dont mind that, whats the tits and fanny like?!

caitmb wrote: »
    Apparently (ie,may/may not be true) signing up for sky at the door or supermarket stands doesnt give you the same come back as doing it through the official sky numbers. They are independent contractors and if you've a problem 'real sky' wont deal with it.

(sky installer dude told me this.....may possibly be biased!)

I think that's only if you're getting someone to install the dish not from Sky. Which as far as I remember isn't how it works since the people going door-to-door are actually signing you up for Sky and you're just put down on the list and you get a call from Sky on when to come out and do the work.

Which your man from Sky might be talking about the ones that aren't really with Sky and just put up a dish and one of those 150 euro boxes that kept getting blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I think you get fifty quid for signing friends/family/enemies/strangers up to sky.

This, makes potentially anyone able to work on commission for them, with or without skys permission.

Ghandee wrote: »
    I think you get fifty quid for signing friends/family/enemies/strangers up to sky.

This, makes potentially anyone able to work on commission for them, with or without skys permission.

Oh yeah the refer a friend thing.
    Abi, any chance you want to move to sky? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

There's only Internet available with them in Poland, and you do need a dish wherever you get it. A Sky dish will do though. We were using a Sky one all along and it was grand. Sports channels seem quite good. English Premier League, some Spanish and Italian games too. I'm not really into sport so can't tell you much more than that.

Technically, no one is supposed to have Cyfra in Ireland because of distribution rights etc. On paper, anyone who has it, has it registered at a Polish address, just like Irish and British people/pubs on the Costas with Sky. Off the books though, Cyfra make sure that there's a network of unofficial installers and technicians available around Ireland. Unless you have a Polish address you can use :), prob best to try asking any Polish people you know. Like I said, they don't have all the same channels as us. The website might be worth a look to get an idea of the channel line up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Dr. Ego

I bought Sky, Vodafone & Airtricity off these door to door sales guys & everyone of them has fecked something up.

The Sky guy told us if we switched the name on the bill from me to my wife then we'd get a free Sky+ box as it look like a new installation.
    Fine, we signed up & got our new shiny box & did the 2nd feed no problem.
    3 months later I checked my account where not only was I still paying for Sky so was my wife.
    They never told Sky to cancel the original account so we ended up paying double for 3 months before I copped it.
    Sky wouldn't give us a refund cause they said what we'd done was against their terms & conditions.

Anyway, I never purchase a service off a door to door seller anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭iba

Clop

Its on Hotbird, has English premierships, costs about €140 approx a year and u can buy a card from satskelp.

Check out the sat forums - there is loads of info about it

Regards

iba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭iba

There's only Internet available with them in Poland, and you do need a dish wherever you get it. A Sky dish will do though. We were using a Sky one all along and it was grand. Sports channels seem quite good. English Premier League, some Spanish and Italian games too. I'm not really into sport so can't tell you much more than that.

Technically, no one is supposed to have Cyfra in Ireland because of distribution rights etc. On paper, anyone who has it, has it registered at a Polish address, just like Irish and British people/pubs on the Costas with Sky. Off the books though, Cyfra make sure that there's a network of unofficial installers and technicians available around Ireland. Unless you have a Polish address you can use :), prob best to try asking any Polish people you know. Like I said, they don't have all the same channels as us. The website might be worth a look to get an idea of the channel line up.

Sorry but I dont think u r correct. It is totally allowed and legal to have Cyfra in Ireland - free movement of trade and all that. You do not need to have it registered at a Polish address, I buy the card from Poland, stick the card in my STB and bobs your Uncle. All legit, all legal. Cyfra dont hve a network of unofficial installers in Ireland. As I said, all u need is a sat dish, one LNB pointing at Hotbird. A STB box like the Ariva 120, 150 or 250 which will accept the Cyfra card which can be bought totally legally from satskelp. The card can be used in other boxes too but I cant remember the encryption on it so I cant advse. For the Humax for example, you need to buy a CAM so allow the card to work - again all perefctly legal and legit.

I really dont know where u have got your info from mate.

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement
Advertisement