Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiroom (cable all over the place)

Options
  • 20-09-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi

Looking at option of going with sky plus 3 x multiroom

Going to keep my upc phone line and broadband

1. Will the installer need to connect my phone line to all four boxes? some on here saying they sometimes don't bother with linking to phone line is this true with multiroom

2. Would i be able to get away with just one box to phone line, dont like the idea of telephone cable running all over the house

3. Can I get multiroom with upc phone line
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

You are supposed to have a phone line to every box. If not they MAY charge you the full price for every box. The installer will expect to run a phone line to every box. They also probably need to run coax to every box location, even if you have been on UPC.

You will not get away with one line. One line is the same as no lines. You could use cordless telephone line extenders instead of wires. These work out about 50 Euro extra per line but don't need cables. These work like cordless phones, without having a phone.

Regarding UPC phone line and multiroom it depends. In some areas it works fine, other areas less so. Reports are in Dublin it is always fine, less so in Cork. I am not sure if it depends on what model of modem you have or local setup but the only way to truly know is connect a box and attempt a call back.

Regarding multiroom have you looked at the "Sky eye". It cost ZERO extra per month per room, it does not need a phone line. You do need to get the eye's installed. It gives you access to the main box in any room and the recordings (which multiroom does not) but you need to watch the same channel as the main room. This is OK if there are 1 or 2 people in the house, less so if more people.

Beware of the total cost of multiroom over time. Basic sub + multiroom (15 per room per month), so you would be paying €512 per year just for the multiroom. If cash is not tight then go ahead, but otherwise I would look at Sky eye, or even Saorview and FreeSAT or a combination of both in other rooms. How often in reality will two or 3 people want to watch pay only channels at the same time? and the one Sky box can record two pay channels anyway at the same time. If you assume your setup will last 5 to 10 years then paying a guy 800 or 900 euro to install a good hybrid system with less monthly charges is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MadDad

Thanks fo the info zg...

cordless telephone line extenders good idea and would solve problem of wires everywhere but would take away my saving by going to sky so not a solution

didnt know of sky eye that could be an answer will look into that

really want to change to sky for better tv but not with cables all over the place cant beleive they still using that system. I thought i may have gotten away with one box to telephone line

Advertisement