Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good hearing aid? - Re-opened

Options
  • 20-09-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Mod note: Under the revised charter I am reopening this thread. All posters please read the new charter and rules.

Hello all,

Was wondering what hearing aids are good these days? Got two hearing-aids eight years ago, but recently the left one has stopped working, so on the look for two new ones before the right-ear hearing-aid goes. Was recommended a <snip>, but want to know what else is out there.

Also, could you PM me where you got them, as it's against the rules to name where you got them on the forum. Would prefer places that have been around for a while, as I don't like anywhere that hasn't been around for a bit, and also that they have a tech in the place 9or at least, in Ireland), as I don't want to have to send my hearing aid to England (or further) every time anything goes wrong with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I use Starkey IQ7 Mini series. They are the bee's knees as far as technology goes. I used DeafHear, (the link to there website is in the sticky at the top of the page) they have the best after care that I have personally come across. They don't try to force a sale on you either. I think I got a 3 year supply of batteries for free too. Post back if you want any other info.

the_syco wrote: »
    How much to they cost?

Mine where about €4000 for the pare. Great service from Deafhear too. I think I got 5 different sets of ear moulds before I got the ones that where the most comfortable for me. Didn't have to pay anything extra either. The normal cost of new moulds is around €80. Free 3 year supply of batteries and free tube replacement every 6 months or so. I'm very happy with the service anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lardy wrote: »
    Mine where about €4000 for the pare. Great service from <snip> too.
    Ouchies. The ones I'm looking at cost €2150 each but should be able to get them at about €2200 for the pair at <snip> with their deal, and the grant.
    I think I got 5 different sets of ear moulds before I got the ones that where the most comfortable for me. Didn't have to pay anything extra either. The normal cost of new moulds is around €80.
    Hrm. The moulds I have were okay first time, but I suppose have you had hearing aids before? I've had some through the NRB, so knew what sort of mould was most comfortable for me.
    Free 3 year supply of batteries and free tube replacement every 6 months or so. I'm very happy with the service anyway. :)
    The free tube replacement every 6 months would be beneficial, but I suppose it depends on how it's designed (the current hearing aid had a filter whch blocked the wax on one side, and the tube on the other side just had to be cleaned every so often).

I actually got the grant too and ended up only paying just over €1700 or so for both of them. The full price would have been around €4000. Re the moulds, yeah, first set of hearing aids so was hard trying to get the moulds to suit me. Ended up with the harder compound rather than the softer rubber like compound. My ears also get very wet, so have large enough vents in them. The tube replacement is very handy for me, again due to the wetness that I get in the ears, discolouring the plastic. Even when cleaned, they still look pretty horrid. I think the only "bug" that I have come across so far the hearing aids is the Autocoil. I'm not sure if its actually the aid or the program, but its not the best at switching when I have a phone next to my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have re-opened this thread, if anyone wishes to edit in any of the material that was snipped, please do so. Sorry about the delay, was clarifying the situation.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I have re-opened this thread, if anyone wishes to edit in any of the material that was snipped, please do so. Sorry about the delay, was clarifying the situation.

Hi Looksee, firstly, thanks for taking the time to get the charter clarified. And thanks for re-opening the thread. Have a bit of a problem though, we (non mods) can't edit our posts with the info that was removed because the time frame allowed for a user to edit a post has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah sorry, I'd forgotten that! PM me if you want me to put any info in or just re-post, sorry its a bit messy but just the way its worked out.

In post #2, the info that was snipped out was: Starkey IQ7 Mini series. In post #3, "DeafHear" was snipped.

Thanks again for the help! :)

Advertisement