Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neteller cards for volunteers

Options
  • 20-09-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

A volunteer group I'm involved with are looking at getting these pre-paid cards; they are asking for a photocopy of personal ID so they can apply in our names.

I'm a wee bit unsure about this....

Can someone legitimately use my details to open an account in my name? (Money laundering legislation springs to mind here, but maybe I'm being a bit over concerned?)

Does that mean they will have the account number/pin or whatever to access the account?

What if I wanted a card for my own use? Would I be able to have a second one?

Do we have the same protections as per a regular credit card re say fraudulent use or goods being faulty?

I'd be interested to know if there are other questions you think I should ask of the organisation before agreeing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, if you give them the appropriate documentation and sign what needs to be signed, there is nothing to stop them submitting the application - it's the equivalent of asking your mother to drop things into the bank for you.

It's seems like an odd way to go about whatever they're doing, but once you have the card, simply change the PIN.

With regard to protections, yes, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Thirsty

Thanks BuffyBot - when you say it's an odd way of doing things - what would be a better way do you think?

Well why do they need Netteller cards?

Oh right, I see what you mean.

Well volunteers in the past have had to use their own money & then claim a refund; but that's not really feasible for everyone. So the idea is that money could be lodged to a card and then that would be used for payments.

Seems a bit OTT, but why not get them to look at O2 Money cards - seems to be less hassle involved

• Advertisement

The o2 cards cost more and the neteller cards are free I'm told.

Well - seems a bit case closed: for cost, you may just have to jump through more hoops :)

Advertisement