Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip Glass

Options
  • 20-09-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've gotten more into classical music in the last year or so. However, I've yet to really give Phillip Glass a proper listen. Is there any particular album or compilation that you recommend me to check out?

Also, could you maybe post a track or two of his favourite works too, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

I'm not sure whether Philip Glass comes under the banner of Classical Music, which would be more associated to music from a particular period in time that was a hundred or more years before Mr.Glass.

But that's besides the point. If you are just setting off listening to him, his later music leans towards the more romantic end of things, with his earlier works being more 'pure' minimalism, if there is such a term.

Personally, I like his piano stuff the most

So if you like those, maybe check out the rest of that 'Glassworks' album.

That's just my taste now, although I wouldn't be as familiar with his operatic stuff, I know that has a big following as well that maybe some other people could point you in the right way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Best introduction to Philip Glass for me was "The Essential Philip Glass"... bit of everything in there.

Also the Heroes Symphony (No.4) is pretty good (Based on David Bowie tunes produced by Brian Eno).

Saw him play in Ireland a couple of years ago and it was actually pretty good, I had really low expectations going though.

There's something very 'Mozart' about his melodies.. have a listen to Facades from the Glassworks album..

If you wanna go all out have a look at the documentary Koyaanisqatsi or Powaqqatsi (one of those timelapse no talking video of things from different parts if the world social commentary thing with music by philip glass)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I've never been able to figure out why I like Philip Glass, but I do. If I were to recommend three works, they'd be the opera Akhnaten, his violin concerto (though the third movement is an incredible letdown, being nothing more than a recycling of the first two) and Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dannyc31

i'll tell you why. because his use of harmonics is simply genius on a repeditive minimalist tip. he's great. you have to really listen to his stuff on good speakers or headphones to really appreciate it. OP try mad rush and listen to all 9mins of it on good quality speakers and you'll be hooked. ;) check out his music from the watchmen movie, think a few of the tracks are from one of his albums.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Philip Glass isn't classical music. It's like saying Coldplay is rock music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

SubBusted wrote: »
    Philip Glass isn't classical music. It's like saying Coldplay is rock music.

That really depends on your definition of classical music, if you mean music from the Classical period which is taken roughly as the years between the 1750's and 1830's then no, his music is not classical music. His music does come under the term contemporary classical though, a term used to describe all music since the 1920's or so that uses traditional instruments and forms (well within reason!).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭purebeta

They probably meant Western Art Music.
    Although I would tend to agree, the statement has elitist connotations.

I love his violin concerto, and the The Hours stuff.

Metamorphosis 2 is great as well, I'd forgotten that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bluewolf wrote: »
    I love his violin concerto, and the The Hours stuff.

Metamorphosis 2 is great as well, I'd forgotten that

Have you heard Company? I was lucky enough to hear it in concert a few years back, on a programme with Arvo Pärt's Fratres and a new piano concerto by Philip Martin. That was back when the NCH did free lunchtime concerts of contemporary music - I'm not sure if they do that any more. (There were about as many people in the orchestra as in the audience, which was a shame because it's one of the better gigs I've been to.)

It's for string orchestra, and allegedly based on a play by Samuel Beckett. It's often bundled with the violin concerto on CDs, which is why I ask. I found that the violin concerto ran out of ideas in the third movement and sort of outstayed its welcome - that doesn't happen with Company.

I found that the violin concerto ran out of ideas in the third movement and sort of outstayed its welcome - that doesn't happen with Company.

My attention span usually runs to the first movt anyway :p
    I haven't, but I'll look it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

One of my favourite is his opera piece Satyagraha Act I.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Put this in your pipe and smoke it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdUMNdUHBo (the Photographer).

I'd also second MadHatter's Aknaten recommendaton: there are one or two amazing sequences .. but, you really need to listen to the repetitive structures before to really get them.

However, I've only listened to a tiny part of Mr. Glass' output but he's certainly somebody I'd keep a look out for.

Advertisement