Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to fees on current accounts?

Options
  • 20-09-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Read on another forum that from 19th of November you must have €3000 min balance throughout the full quarter to get free banking, that your 9 '365' transactions and the €3000 passing through your account option will be gone.
    Supposedly BOI placed an ad in yesterday's Irish times about it!

Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Thanks for that! I couldn't find anything on their site myself!

Very disappointed with them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Mrsbananas wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I couldn't find anything on their site myself!

Very disappointed with them now!

+1. Switching to another bank myself. I will keep the account open but they will no longer be my main bank for current account services.

But the only others with free banking are ulster bank are they not?

BOI only changed their fee structure last year, I'm annoyed as they seem to be just following aib with the min balance. So if you have the money to pay fees they don't charge you! If you don't, they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

while I understand that BOI need to earn money from processing transactions...this is taking the p*ss

They might as well just take away the exemption as it will apply to so few people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

€8.00 for lost,stolen or damaged card - I've had enough - moving to Ulster - not literally - well not yet anyway.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    €8.00 for lost,stolen or damaged card - I've had enough - moving to Ulster - not literally - well not yet anyway.

I dont agree with having to pay this fee, as long as you arent losing cards every other day. Maybe 1 free card every year or 2? A bit of common sense here would work BOI

what if I had my 3k in the bank, lost my card and refused to pay for a new one? then I'd have to go into the branch everytime i needed cash. wouldnt incovenience me much as i work beside one...but it'd add to your costs !

so how much would these 'transaction fees' be? would you see a small amount taken out of your account every time you make a transaction say like you would when you take money out in the US for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,
    Please note we have made a change to our qualifying criteria for our No Transaction Fees offer. You can find more information here.

Our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers.

a) Pay as you go: 28c for each transaction.

b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

If you wish to amend the fee category you are on before the above take effect you will need to make the amendment before 16th of November 2012. You can contact the branch or Banking 365 to discuss.

The contact number for Banking 365 is 0818 365 365.

There will also be a change in the replacement card charge from €5.90 to €8.00. This will not effect customers in the automatic roll-out of Visa Debit cards.

We have passed your feedback on regarding the amendment.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

So what actually counts as a transaction? I assume it includes direct debits and online transfers? How about Direct Debits to a BOI credit card or savings account? Surely you wont be charging for a direct debit to another BOI account?

• Advertisement

Hi Paddy001,

A transaction is considered any movement in or out of your account, regardless of the beneficiary.

Thanks
    Linda

So apart from the one ad in the times how were you planning to inform customers of the changes?

Hi Mrsbananas,

We placed advertisements in both the Irish Times and Irish Independent. We have in branch literature and information on the Bank of Ireland Group website. We also continue to use social media.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

E3000! thats to high abar to set., never had that amount every quarter in 8yrs being with bank of Ireland, more fees ,we could do with out it.
    Any banks doing free banking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hi Mrsbananas,

We placed advertisements in both the Irish Times and Irish Independent. We have in branch literature and information on the Bank of Ireland Group website. We also continue to use social media.

Thanks
    Linda

I don't read the Times or the Indo.
    I have no need to visit my branch.
    I'm not on Facebook or Twitter.

I do have a boards account, luckily, as I fortunately stumbled across this as otherwise I'd never have known about these scandalous charges.

What about all those people that don't need or use any of the above ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

enviro wrote: »
    I will keep the account open but they will no longer be my main bank for current account services.

If it's the same as the AIB current account you will still be charged a maintenance fee even if you don't have any transactions.

UB will have free banking for approximately a further year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brissygirl32

I was in the dooradoyle branch of boi yesterday - and there was most certainly NO information about account fee changes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was in the dooradoyle branch of boi yesterday - and there was most certainly NO information about account fee changes!!!

Was in the Sligo branch today, whole new refit and layout to the place, but also did not notice any signs up to say fee changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your posts. We've forwarded all your feedback on to the Branch Network.
    smcgiff wrote: »
    you will still be charged a maintenance fee even if you don't have any transactions.

Hi smcgiff,

We currently have no maintenance fees on our current accounts.

Thanks again for posting,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Flip - and it was only last week that I said how delighted I was with not paying transaction fees with Bank of Ireland. I've banked with BOI since I was a teenager, and I don't think I've paid a single transaction fee. (other than missed direct debit type fees).

Time to assess moving.

Has Bank of Ireland taken into account the security risk posed by needing a €3,000 bank account balance? What happens if your laser/debit card is stolen or skimmed? I deliberately don't keep a large balance in my account for that very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 La Gun

Just cancel all standing orders direct debits take what ever money you might have out of the banks, and use a post office to pay bills with real money cash, Cancel cards, And F*ck the banks we don't really need them your paying for a convenience. Get up and do the stuff our selves it will cost less and you will actually have more money for your self when you handle the cash your self,
    Any one who has €3000 in their account prob wont give a dam about charges, but if your like me and many others living hand to mouth, the banks can get stuffed, if they think they can tax me for not being well off, As a people Irish people we are too passive and the fat cats know it,

Hi Paddy001,

A transaction is considered any movement in or out of your account, regardless of the beneficiary.

Thanks
    Linda

so you are now charging to put money into the bank....wtf!!! do you not make enough money having funds on deposit overnight???

i think i'm going to move money to a deposit account overnight and make u pay me interest...more work for me, but i'm damned if i'm going to pay you stupid fees like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJCM71

Just checked your website & no mention of these changes to the fees, in fact it clearly states in the FAQ & Schedule of Charges that:

You can however qualify for our No Transaction Fees offer:

1) Over the course of a fee quarter, lodge at least €3,000 to your Personal Current Account (this is the equivalent of €1,000 net salary lodgement per month) AND make 9 debit payments for that account using 365 Phone, Online and/or Mobile Banking. Payments made by direct debit or standing order do not qualify as 365 Phone, Online and/or Mobile Banking payments for the purpose of this offer.

Or

Maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current Account throughout the full fee quarter to qualify.

Lodgements received and payments made after cut off times or anytime on a non-banking day (i.e. Saturday, Sunday or bank/public holiday) may not be reflected in the account until the following working day. There are different cut off times for different transactions. Please contact your branch for details. Our No Transaction Fees offer is based upon the overnight balance that appears on your statement.

Also I'd like to know why I was charged a Current Account Charges fee of €11.40 this month when I keep to the first option and have done so for the past several years. I have not changed the way I bank so why am I suddenly being charged transaction fees?

Very disappointed with this change, I've been a customer since I was in my teens (over 20 yrs ago) and never had cause to complain about the service until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭remoh

Hi Paddy001,

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda

So going on this I will get charged the transaction fee on my current account when I'm paying off my BOI mortgage or any other loans I have with BOI which are paid directly from my current account.

Hi dudara,
    dudara wrote: »
    Has Bank of Ireland taken into account the security risk posed by needing a €3,000 bank account balance? What happens if your laser/debit card is stolen or skimmed?

As with all decisions taken by us, customers' account security is paramount. All cases of suspected fraudulent transactions on an account would be thoroughly investigated by our Fraud department and each would be assessed on a case by case basis.

Hi MJCM71,
    MJCM71 wrote: »
    Just checked your website & no mention of these changes to the fees

The change in criteria for the No Transaction Fees offer doesn't come into effect until 19th November 2012, at which point our FAQs and Schedule of Fees and Charges will be updated.
    MJCM71 wrote: »
    Also I'd like to know why I was charged a Current Account Charges fee of €11.40 this month

To find out why you were charged this fee, please contact Banking365 on 0818 365 365, or your branch, and a representative will be happy to look into it and provide you with a breakdown if you wish.
    remoh wrote: »
    So going on this I will get charged the transaction fee on my current account when I'm paying off my BOI mortgage or any other loans I have with BOI which are paid directly from my current account.

Hi remoh,

Yes, all payments made from your current account will be charged at 28cent on the Pay As You Go option, including direct debits/standing orders, lodgements or electronic transfers to your other BOI accounts.

Thanks for all your queries,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I have a question - what is the default option if I do nothing between now and November - do you go onto the PAYG structure or the €11.40/quarter structure? We have two current accounts (one in my name and a joint one with the missus) and we were on the flat fee structure before free banking came in (fadó fadó) - will it switch back to this or is PAYG the default?

Free banking is pretty much nonexistant these days (I'm loath to move to UB) but I'll weigh up the best options around in the market. There's a good thread on AAM about what's available in Ireland, for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back to using cash at the checkout I go - charging for debit card transactions when the retailer already pays is particularly low.

Hi Yakuza,

The fee option you're on will depend on what you chose when you opened the account, or if you have changed it since. To check which option applies to your accounts, and if you'd like to change this before the next fee quarter, please contact Banking365 directly on 0818 365 365. You can also send a signed written request to your account holding branch to change your fee option.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I found out this by chance I paid €11.40 for 20 transactions. At 28 c each that's €5.60. Why was I over charged ? I felt like closing account ASAP. The bang in my face 0.5 % interest rate increase on my mortgage with BOI. I was was already feeling bad about how the bank brought the country down. I had to move out of Ireland to get work. I will be looking to get a loan here to pay BOI and close my 20 year old account down.

BOI is going on my black list with Credit rating of Junk!!!!!!

P.s. any one with few transaction ring and change to Option 1 ASAP before BOI rob you of more money.

28 cent per transaction.

AIB 20 c per transaction.

Good bye BOI. Hope your highly paid get hit by Karma in the face.

Regards gar32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Absolute disgrace . Only opened BOI account 3 months ago to escape the AIB charges.
    Ill be closing my BOI account ASAP and moving to ptsb.
    BOI are going to lose a lot of customers over this

Advertisement