Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving certs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

i just find it tough because i literally know two people and its so boring in school with the same two people constantly! anyone repeating in the midlands?
    Im from the midlands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

I got an A1 and am only thinking of repeating Irish on it's own (to get an entry requirement) but i'm still unsure whether I can manage the HC3!

Wow thats really good! I guess it would be a bit easier if your repeating it on its own maybe? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Well lads..How much hours have ye been doing? I have consistently done about 5 hours a day so far :D How much subjects ye doing a day also? Just curious :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

David1994 wrote: »
    Well lads..How much hours have ye been doing? I have consistently done about 5 hours a day so far :D How much subjects ye doing a day also? Just curious :P

I haven't been doing that ^^^^ much :o, but I'm doing more than last year. I do exam papers mostly.

Your post made me feel inadequate. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

i just find it tough because i literally know two people and its so boring in school with the same two people constantly! anyone repeating in the midlands?

Yep I am :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    I haven't been doing that ^^^^ much :o, but I'm doing more than last year. I do exam papers mostly.

Your post made me feel inadequate. :p

I am just trying to do the best I can! :P Your 3 hours or whatever study could be the equivalent of my 5 hours study..You never know like :L
    I just know I can study for 5 or more hours.I don't mind it tbh :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

I'm from the midlands as well :)

I get three or so hours done a night too, bit more on weekends. Five is serious going David, i wouldn't have the self discipline myself :o Fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Confused93

Hey I'm short 5 points for my course and i'm ridiculously close (2 marks off the next highest grade in business).. I'm hoping for rechecks to get into college but I'm worried I might not get it.. I'm wondering however would it be too late to start repeating in the middle of october if lets say I don't get my 2 marks? :)

Confused93 wrote: »
    Hey I'm short 5 points for my course and i'm ridiculously close (2 marks off the next highest grade in business).. I'm hoping for rechecks to get into college but I'm worried I might not get it.. I'm wondering however would it be too late to start repeating in the middle of october if lets say I don't get my 2 marks? :)

Ah jaysus thats awful close! I doubt it would be too late, i mean the teachers spend like the first 2 weeks just getting books and all sorted, no work really gets dont till like the third week in my school anyways and sure you probably have all the notes from last year anyways

Ya that's very true..and I would have most of the work done from last year you're right :) Thank you for your advice Lisa1993 :D I'm hoping tho the school/college don't think it's too late for me to join after my rechecks :( They take sooooooo long.. :(Anyone know a good place to repeat in the cork region besides college of comm? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Ya that's very true..and I would have most of the work done from last year you're right :) Thank you for your advice Lisa1993 :D I'm hoping tho the school/college don't think it's too late for me to join after my rechecks :( They take sooooooo long.. :(Anyone know a good place to repeat in the cork region besides college of comm? :confused:

The college of commerce is really good, otherwise youll have to go to bruce or hewitt or externally i cant think of any other places.

I might register as an external student... Do external students do well generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Well I repeated last year so I suppose I can relate too all of you. Repeating isn't easy but it's not that difficult either, you just need to focus on your goal and it will happen, trust me I've being there. Of course you're going to feel like you've hit rock bottom at times watching all your friends going off to college; the facebook photos of the partying every night ect.. all I can say to you, is just use that as fuel, because seeing what all your friends are getting up to will only motivate you to go out and grab it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

I might register as an external student... Do external students do well generally?

I was considering that last year, but I'm glad I didn't choose that, many courses change and you may not be aware of the changes, if you're going to repeat, go back to school and do it if you're serious about it, trust me you'll do better that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 moss1234

Flabangav wrote: »
    I'm a repeat! It is depressing hearing everyone talking about college. Did any of you guys skip TY?

I want to do Vet Medicine. I picked up physics this year, seems alright so far! :D

i also repeated, and i also want to do vet med , but i still dont think ill get it , the points are ridiculously high :(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

moss1234 wrote: »
    i also repeated, and i also want to do vet med , but i still dont think ill get it , the points are ridiculously high :(

They are! But sure, there's loads of time to study! :) Hopefully we'll get it this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

what is everyone hoping to do next year and what college?

Reon wrote: »
    what is everyone hoping to do next year and what college?
    actuary i dcu or ucd ... hopefully, you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

aarond280 wrote: »
    actuary i dcu or ucd ... hopefully, you ?

not sure yet looking at a few things tcd-dental hygiene, dcu- aviation management , and not 100% sure what else

Was anyone else up at the NUI Galway open day today? It was pretty good i thought. im tempted to give medicine a shot rather than wait and do post graduate entry now though. :P Is anyone else taking history as a subject by the way?

• Advertisement

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know it was on :o Go for it you've nothing to lose :) And yeah I do history. Very, very time consuming. What you gonna do about your RSR? We can't submit the same one again apparently which is a huge pain :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

Is anyone repeating Home Ec ? :/

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know it was on :o Go for it you've nothing to lose :) And yeah I do history. Very, very time consuming. What you gonna do about your RSR? We can't submit the same one again apparently which is a huge pain :cool:

I think ill give it a shot maybe anyways. Ah yea history is fierce time consuming, its such a great subject though, definitely my favoroite and its so handy that the course hasnt changed so we already know all the material. Im aiming for an A this year hopefully. It is pretty annoying about the project though, like i had a good one last year and i dont know what to do this year. What was yours on? Mine was about the sinking of the lusitania and i actually really enjoyed doing it but this year im just not sure :o

lisa1993 wrote: »
    I think ill give it a shot maybe anyways. Ah yea history is fierce time consuming, its such a great subject though, definitely my favoroite and its so handy that the course hasnt changed so we already know all the material. Im aiming for an A this year hopefully. It is pretty annoying about the project though, like i had a good one last year and i dont know what to do this year. What was yours on? Mine was about the sinking of the lusitania and i actually really enjoyed doing it but this year im just not sure :o

Good luck with it :) Yeah true, although the class I'm now is doing three different topics to the ones we did last year but I'm just gonna use my notes from last year anyway. Could be awkward for class tests, etc though :cool:

Same, I really liked my one last year and put so much effort into it :( I did the Munich air disaster with Man United. Really enjoyed it . Apparantley we can change it just and resubmit the same project from a different prospective but that'll still be pretty hard done :(
    rosiee wrote: »
    Is anyone repeating Home Ec ? :/

I never did home ec.. so yes :D I joke :p

Good luck with it :) Yeah true, although the class I'm now is doing three different topics to the ones we did last year but I'm just gonna use my notes from last year anyway. Could be awkward for class tests, etc though :cool:

Same, I really liked my one last year and put so much effort into it :( I did the Munich air disaster with Man United. Really enjoyed it . Apparantley we can change it just and resubmit the same project from a different prospective but that'll still be pretty hard done :(

Aye i dont think id bother just changing it that would be way more difficult! Thats unfortunate in your class, what topics did ye do last year? we did the books; the pursuit of sovrenity and the impact of partition (all about ireland breaking free of britain)
    Dictatorship and democracy in europe,
    the case study book about india, france and the congo and movenments for political and social reform (the land reforms, gaa, etc) I really loved the two irish history books, but but i wasnt too fond of the case study book at all :P

Aye i dont think id bother just changing it that would be way more difficult! Thats unfortunate in your class, what topics did ye do last year? we did the books; the pursuit of sovrenity and the impact of partition (all about ireland breaking free of britain)
    Dictatorship and democracy in europe,
    the case study book about india, france and the congo and movenments for political and social reform (the land reforms, gaa, etc) I really loved the two irish history books, but but i wasnt too fond of the case study book at all :P

Thinking of doing the whole thing again myself :p

We had the two books Modern Ireland and Modern Europe both by Gill & MacMillan an we did ROI post war and NI post war which was all about the Troubles so I really liked that and then America and the wider world as well which was grand too :) Yeah, we had the same case studies book

We're really lucky that the course isn't changing cos' I don't think it'd be possible to do a whole history course in one year :p

How you finding the rest of your subjects? :)

Repeating it's kind of a lonely experience. :( But on the other hand does anyone feel they can talk more to teachers about certain topics and understand things better :)

Thinking of doing the whole thing again myself :p

We had the two books Modern Ireland and Modern Europe both by Gill & MacMillan an we did ROI post war and NI post war which was all about the Troubles so I really liked that and then America and the wider world as well which was grand too :) Yeah, we had the same case studies book

We're really lucky that the course isn't changing cos' I don't think it'd be possible to do a whole history course in one year :p

How you finding the rest of your subjects? :)

Ah yea we had them books given us by mistake, i read the america and the NI ones myself. The NI one was super interesting. I really didnt like the case studies though, they were easy but like, i didint even know where the congo was and neither did everyone else in my class, they were sort of like far removed from us.
    Im so glad the course didnt change too! It would be impossible to do it all in a year id say :o

The rest of my subjects are okay, the music course didnt change either (thank god) and im yet to find out if our art teacher is changing the course for us :pac:
    How are yours going?

aarond280 wrote: »
    Repeating it's kind of a lonely experience. :( But on the other hand does anyone feel they can talk more to teachers about certain topics and understand things better :)

Yeah it's cool isn't it :D They treat ya more like an equal and are way more friendly, although I always got on well with my teachers :') Suppose we are big mature repeats and all that :rolleyes:

Ah yea we had them books given us by mistake, i read the america and the NI ones myself. The NI one was super interesting. I really didnt like the case studies though, they were easy but like, i didint even know where the congo was and neither did everyone else in my class, they were sort of like far removed from us.
    Im so glad the course didnt change too! It would be impossible to do it all in a year id say :o

The rest of my subjects are okay, the music course didnt change either (thank god) and im yet to find out if our art teacher is changing the course for us :pac:
    How are yours going?
    Yeah I get ya. I've far more interest in the topics that are more relevant like the Ireland ones :p Sure it was hard enough to do in two three years :pac:

Yeah they're grand :) Happy enough tbh. It's not too bad repeating this year cos' the majority of the courses are the same ... at least for my subjects! And stuff like Biology and Maths can only get better with practice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kiltwearer

Hi guys, i was a repeat who now is in first year!
    i really respect ye for going back, honestly, seeing those results next year will really make you respect them all the better. :)

Keep at it. :) x

I was tormented with facebook last year, pictures and statuses boasting about college did not help, but you ignore them somehow, you have a plan, and you will reach your destination next year. The year flies, oh it really does.

I went up 60 points from last year, 60 points! and i have what i want now. I could have accepted some course last year for the point of going to college but i said no, it wasnt worth potentially hating a course that i was in no way enthusiastic about, i've heard of too many people doing that.

Your friends and family will support you.

People will be inconsiderate, ask stupid questions and make you feel stupid, but dont let them hurt you, nod your head, unclench your fist, walk away. feck them.

You can do it. i did it. looking back, i'm glad. I got my provisional licence, did other things to make the year go faster, dont take up too much extra things, you need to breath too. Steady work through the year and you're laughing next august :)

Talk to other repeats or people who have repeated, who better to understand?
    Talk to your family, my mam took my disappointment hard, not that she was disappointed in me but she was sad for me. dont isolate yourself or them, they're all going through this too.

:) keep going, it will fly and you will be all experts in the courses by june! :)

xx

Rach :)

Advertisement