Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving certs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

kiltwearer wrote: »
    Hi guys, i was a repeat who now is in first year!
    i really respect ye for going back, honestly, seeing those results next year will really make you respect them all the better. :)

Keep at it. :) x

I was tormented with facebook last year, pictures and statuses boasting about college did not help, but you ignore them somehow, you have a plan, and you will reach your destination next year. The year flies, oh it really does.

I went up 60 points from last year, 60 points! and i have what i want now. I could have accepted some course last year for the point of going to college but i said no, it wasnt worth potentially hating a course that i was in no way enthusiastic about, i've heard of too many people doing that.

Your friends and family will support you.

People will be inconsiderate, ask stupid questions and make you feel stupid, but dont let them hurt you, nod your head, unclench your fist, walk away. feck them.

You can do it. i did it. looking back, i'm glad. I got my provisional licence, did other things to make the year go faster, dont take up too much extra things, you need to breath too. Steady work through the year and you're laughing next august :)

Talk to other repeats or people who have repeated, who better to understand?
    Talk to your family, my mam took my disappointment hard, not that she was disappointed in me but she was sad for me. dont isolate yourself or them, they're all going through this too.

:) keep going, it will fly and you will be all experts in the courses by june! :)

xx

Rach :)

Hearing stuff like thus is always encouraging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

:D Probably well behind on this vid but I LOL'd

berocca!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 duffyheap

I'm a repeat also.. and I am moving up to honours Irish... Any tips on how I can get a good grade.. I've been told it's a tough enough subject to do at honours level but I like Irish. I would just like some reassurance( if any ) that I ain't making a silly mistake taking it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

I was in History in Trinity for about a month and decided I couldnt stand it now, let alone do it as a four year degree!

Tried transferring to science which is what I realised I really wanted to do but was unsuccessful :'( so my only option was to drop out and re apply through CAO this year.

Now although I got 530 last year I have this horrible feeling that science in Trin may go above this since it's becoming so popular.. So I reckon I'll repeat externally this year since I'll be taking physics bio chem maths history and english. Does anyone have any experience repeating externally?

It's times like this when repeating's really crappy. Have the week off but the colleges all my friends go to are in this week and get off next week. I got to see them over the bank holiday and all but they're all gone back to college tonight so I'm gonna be all alone all week :( I'm the only one from around my area in my year as well so unless I drive like half an hour I'll have no company all week :( I feel lonely already :'( It's awful...

Anyway, I've spread enough cheer so rant over :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

It's times like this when repeating's really crappy. Have the week off but the colleges all my friends go to are in this week and get off next week. I got to see them over the bank holiday and all but they're all gone back to college tonight so I'm gonna be all alone all week :( I'm the only one from around my area in my year as well so unless I drive like half an hour I'll have no company all week :( I feel lonely already :'( It's awful...

Anyway rant over :cool:

I kinda know how you feel! My friends from last year are in college now and theyre all going out together, i seen photos on Facebook of them out some night at the cinema and they just don't even consider inviting me now cause im not part of the college group. Very depressing since these were my friends for six years. Dam repeating! :o

lisa1993 wrote: »
    I kinda know how you feel! My friends from last year are in college now and theyre all going out together, i seen photos on Facebook of them out some night at the cinema and they just don't even consider inviting me now cause im not part of the college group. Very depressing since these were my friends for six years. Dam repeating! :o

Exactly! Repeat they said... Be grand they said :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Justice! wrote: »
    I reckon I'll repeat externally this year since I'll be taking physics bio chem maths history and english. Does anyone have any experience repeating externally?

The first thing you have to work out is how to get your history project signed off by a school as a teacher has to supervise it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Confused93

Hey guys

I'm also a repeat student.. Missed out on my course by 5 points.. :(
    Hoping to do primary school teaching in Mary I next year (or wherever will take me.. ha )
    I just started back in my old school last week and I'm finding it really tough being back.. I thought I was finished forvever.. haha :/
    Anybody have any tips on how to make the year more bearable? :D Some things to do in order to pass the time away? besides studying hahaha can't all be doom and gloom.. :D haha

Confused93 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I'm also a repeat student.. Missed out on my course by 5 points.. :(
    Hoping to do primary school teaching in Mary I next year (or wherever will take me.. ha )
    I just started back in my old school last week and I'm finding it really tough being back.. I thought I was finished forvever.. haha :/
    Anybody have any tips on how to make the year more bearable? :D Some things to do in order to pass the time away? besides studying hahaha can't all be doom and gloom.. :D haha

5 points? Ouch :( Did ya get offered teaching in Marino by any chance? Its a bit lower there. I want primary teaching as well next year so I know where you're coming from! People asking me why I didn't go the "back door route" is literally driving me mad! They just don'y understand :pac:

Don't worry the whole shock of being back in school wears off. You'll actually get to like in a few weeks (at least I did anyway) cos' the teachers are nicer to you and you're one of the seniors of the school and all that which is cool :) Plus you have experience of the whole LC year which is a big plus. It can be pretty lonely and boring is all...

I'm struggling to pass the time myself minus my friends who have ALL gone :( There's always the option of posting on here :p I kinda fill my time with studying if only to have something to keep me occupied :o

It'll be over before we know it anyway :) (I hope!)

• Advertisement

I got 460 so I was 5 short everywhere including marino.. :( gutted isn't the word :( Ya same! everyone keeps asking why I didn't go in the back door either... I think I'd be happier doing the teaching course rather than doing arts for 3-4 years and doing it... :/ I hope I get use to it... The school is great and the girls are all really nice it's just sickening being back in school... :D

I hope the time goes really quickly! Do you find it's going fast? loads of repeat students say that.. :D All my friends have gone too.. :( It's sooooo lonely being a repeat student... hopefully it'll fly!

hopefully we'll get what we want next year! :D

I got 460 so I was 5 short everywhere including marino.. :( gutted isn't the word :( Ya same! everyone keeps asking why I didn't go in the back door either... I think I'd be happier doing the teaching course rather than doing arts for 3-4 years and doing it... :/ I hope I get use to it... The school is great and the girls are all really nice it's just sickening being back in school... :D

I hope the time goes really quickly! Do you find it's going fast? loads of repeat students say that.. :D All my friends have gone too.. :( It's sooooo lonely being a repeat student... hopefully it'll fly!

hopefully we'll get what we want next year! :D

Sorry to hear that :( But these things work themselves out :)
    Yeah me too! Plus it's alot more straight forward than doing arts or whatever. And anyway I always thought you'd end up being a better teacher doing a B.Ed than doing something else and then a HDip... but that's just me :cool:

Unbelievably quick, worse than last year even! November already like :O Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing cos' I've so much work to do before June :pac: But sure it's only a few months to do what you like for 40 years :D That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

Oh and we'll get what want!!! Of course we will :)

Sorry to hear that :( But these things work themselves out :)
    Yeah me too! Plus it's alot more straight forward than doing arts or whatever. And anyway I always thought you'd end up being a better teacher doing a B.Ed than doing something else and then a HDip... but that's just me :cool:

Unbelievably quick, worse than last year even! November already like :O Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing cos' I've so much work to do before June :pac: But sure it's only a few months to do what you like for 40 years :D That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

Oh and we'll get what want!!! Of course we will :)

I hope it works out.. a blessing in disguise.. haha :D
    How about you? were you really disappointed when you didn't get it too? I literally thought the world had ended.. :D
    Ya I really get where you're coming from with doing the B.ed and being a better teacher.. even though I know there are really good teachers out there that did a post grad and are really good at there job... I'd just prefer myself to get the B.ed.. :D

Ya I thought last year dragged.... I was just waiting for it to be over but I suppose it's November already! Time flies when you're having fun.. hahaha :D

Ya I'm going to try my best again this year for it! Dropped english and maths but took on ag science as my 6th subject. I'm kinda worried about only having the year to cram it all in but I've heard it's not a very long course and very do-able.. :D

Fingers crossed :D

I hope it works out.. a blessing in disguise.. haha :D
    How about you? were you really disappointed when you didn't get it too? I literally thought the world had ended.. :D
    Ya I really get where you're coming from with doing the B.ed and being a better teacher.. even though I know there are really good teachers out there that did a post grad and are really good at there job... I'd just prefer myself to get the B.ed.. :D

Ya I thought last year dragged.... I was just waiting for it to be over but I suppose it's November already! Time flies when you're having fun.. hahaha :D

Ya I'm going to try my best again this year for it! Dropped english and maths but took on ag science as my 6th subject. I'm kinda worried about only having the year to cram it all in but I've heard it's not a very long course and very do-able.. :D

Fingers crossed :D

Ya never know! I've heard so many people who repeated say it all worked out so hopefully something good will come of it all :)

I was devastated to be honest! I knew straight away that I was repeating as well cos I always said I'd most likely repeat if I missed teaching... I'm stubborn like that :p

Well I thought it was worth a shot to give the LC one more go anyway cos I don't think what I got is the best I can do if ya get me? I'd regret it if I didn't at least try again to get the B.Ed

I dropped English too :) A whole new single text and 3 new comparative texts in one year? No thanks :pac: That's cool by the way cos ya don't have to do the two papers in English and Maths... Sooo much less stressful for you now :)

Fingers, legs, arms .. I've everything crossed :pac:

Ya never know! I've heard so many people who repeated say it all worked out so hopefully something good will come of it all :)

I was devastated to be honest! I knew straight away that I was repeating as well cos I always said I'd most likely repeat if I missed teaching... I'm stubborn like that :p

Well I thought it was worth a shot to give the LC one more go anyway cos I don't think what I got is the best I can do if ya get me? I'd regret it if I didn't at least try again to get the B.Ed

I dropped English too :) A whole new single text and 3 new comparative texts in one year? No thanks :pac: That's cool by the way cos ya don't have to do the two papers in English and Maths... Sooo much less stressful for you now :)

Fingers, legs, arms .. I've everything crossed :pac:

like 99% of the people I've spoken to said it was deffo worth repeating! That's my maths done for the year now.. haha :D
    I admire your determination...It took me awhile to bring myself around to the idea of repeating but I've learnt now that the though of it is actually much worse then actually doing it :D
    I'm the exact same! I would have deffo regreted not giving the B.ed one last shot.. :D

Ya I seem to have sooo much more free time and classes now without maths and english.. did you take up a new subject? :D

Everything crossed! Who knows we could be teaching buddies next year in Mary I! :cool:

like 99% of the people I've spoken to said it was deffo worth repeating! That's my maths done for the year now.. haha :D
    I admire your determination...It took me awhile to bring myself around to the idea of repeating but I've learnt now that the though of it is actually much worse then actually doing it :D
    I'm the exact same! I would have deffo regreted not giving the B.ed one last shot.. :D

Ya I seem to have sooo much more free time and classes now without maths and english.. did you take up a new subject? :D

Everything crossed! Who knows we could be teaching buddies next year in Mary I! :cool:

Hahah :) Exactly! Once you're kept busy and see you're friends occasionally it's grand :)

It's brilliant isn't it? I don't actually do homework at night now cos I can just do it the free classes which leaves me more time to study at home :) I took up economics.. one of the shorter courses for LC. Its not too bad (yet!)

Haha or Pats? Or Marino? I'll have them all on my CAO :D

Hahah :) Exactly! Once you're kept busy and see you're friends occasionally it's grand :)

It's brilliant isn't it? I don't actually do homework at night now cos I can just do it the free classes which leaves me more time to study at home :) I took up economics.. one of the shorter courses for LC. Its not too bad (yet!)

Haha or Pats? Or Marino? I'll have them all on my CAO :D

Are you repeating in your own school Brownbear? :) Did you do ty? :D
    Ya I love the free classes and all.. I just hate being back! I'm still living in the hope that my appeal to the independant appeals scrutineers will come through and I can just drop out of school.. :D haha Chances tho are slim... I haven't heard of anyone getting their appeal the second time.. have you? I only needed 2 marks to go up in business.. and i really did think there were areas that I could have gotten an upgrade in. :( sadness........ :P

I'm the same! Pats, Marino and Maynooth will all make an appearance on my cao.. :D

Are you repeating in your own school Brownbear? :) Did you do ty? :D
    Ya I love the free classes and all.. I just hate being back! I'm still living in the hope that my appeal to the independant appeals scrutineers will come through and I can just drop out of school.. :D haha Chances tho are slim... I haven't heard of anyone getting their appeal the second time.. have you? I only needed 2 marks to go up in business.. and i really did think there were areas that I could have gotten an upgrade in. :( sadness........ :P

I'm the same! Pats, Marino and Maynooth will all make an appearance on my cao.. :D

I am and I did not thank God :D How about you? :)

No I've never even heard of anyone going that far with an appeal but to be fair I've also never heard of any being two marks off their course! I feel you're pain :( Ya must get plenty of sympathy from everyone haha!

It's a bit surprising ya didn't get up the first time in business :( Alot of my friends around here got up 4,5,6 marks in business... Sorry, ya probably don't wanna hear that :p You've a decent chance of getting two measly marks though surely? :D When dya find out? Best of luck with it ... really hope ya get it cos' that's a ridiculously tight margin! Let me know how it goes :)

Mary I first choice for ya is it? :)

I am and I did not thank God :D How about you? :)

No I've never even heard of anyone going that far with an appeal but to be fair I've also never heard of any being two marks off their course! I feel you're pain :( Ya must get plenty of sympathy from everyone haha!

It's a bit surprising ya didn't get up the first time in business :( Alot of my friends around here got up 4,5,6 marks in business... Sorry, ya probably don't wanna hear that :p You've a decent chance of getting two measly marks though surely? :D When dya find out? Best of luck with it ... really hope ya get it cos' that's a ridiculously tight margin! Let me know how it goes :)

Mary I first choice for ya is it? :)

Ya I did ty... regret it so much now...haha I'd be in college now tho..:(
    Ya I'm absolutely sickened! It's so little but I still didn't get it.. I couldn't believe it.. :( I hope I have a good chance! Sometime in november so hopefully I'll get it! everything crossed! :P thanks a million :D Were you very close yourself? :)

Ya Mary I will be no.1 for me next year.. :)

Ya I did ty... regret it so much now...haha I'd be in college now tho..:(
    Ya I'm absolutely sickened! It's so little but I still didn't get it.. I couldn't believe it.. :( I hope I have a good chance! Sometime in november so hopefully I'll get it! everything crossed! :P thanks a million :D Were you very close yourself? :)

Ya Mary I will be no.1 for me next year.. :)

You're a veteran at this stage so :D 30 points not too close but not a million miles away :p

Hope so ... Horrible way for anyone to not get their course :(

Like I said gimme a shout when ya know :)

• Advertisement

You're a veteran at this stage so :D 30 points not too close but not a million miles away :p

Hope so ... Horrible way for anyone to not get their course :(

Like I said gimme a shout when ya know :)

Still.. You must have worked hard and I know it's such a kick in the teeth when all that hard work doesn't pay off.. :(
    It was so awful at the start when I first got my points,recheck results but it gets easier and I suppose school work keeps me distracted! :D
    How are you finding repeating? Are you stressing? Are you studying loads? :)

I will of course let you know... keep everything crossed for me! :D

Still.. You must have worked hard and I know it's such a kick in the teeth when all that hard work doesn't pay off.. :(
    It was so awful at the start when I first got my points,recheck results but it gets easier and I suppose school work keeps me distracted! :D
    How are you finding repeating? Are you stressing? Are you studying loads? :)

I will of course let you know... keep everything crossed for me! :D

It'll be worthwhile next year if when we get what we want :D

I know how ya feel :( Takes another repeat to understand it all :pac:

I'm not gonna say I like it cos' I'd much rather be in college (obviously :p) but I don't hate it either. It's more of a means to an end than anything else but at the same time I've made good friends in my new year and parts of repeating are actually quite enjoyable, especially have done it all once :) It's a mixed bag really but it's OK :)

Not gonna lie, I get very stressed sometimes although I do work well under stress :p

And yeah, to be honest I study a fair bit, if only to keep myself busy and from going out of my mind! (Oh and you know to do well in the LC :pac: ) The studying comes alot easier this year than last as well so that helps :) Yourself?

Consider the Mass candle lit for ya ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

This year is so tough and boring :(
    I got 505 last time, and REALLY want about 580/590, do you guys think it's doable, I just get these weird feelings and thoughts of what if I go down or what if I only go up 10 points.
    Also if you do worse then can you use your last year's result I.e. the better one? If yes than does the cao get it automatically or do I have to do something about it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    This year is so tough and boring :(
    I got 505 last time, and REALLY want about 580/590, do you guys think it's doable, I just get these weird feelings and thoughts of what if I go down or what if I only go up 10 points.
    Also if you do worse then can you use your last year's result I.e. the better one? If yes than does the cao get it automatically or do I have to do something about it?!

I feel the same, I got 535 and need 590/600 realistically. We should go up though!

I emailed the cao about that, and they said if you do worse you can use last years ones :) I think they get it automatically, because you put your old exam number on your cao form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

Flabangav wrote: »
    I feel the same, I got 535 and need 590/600 realistically. We should go up though!

I emailed the cao about that, and they said if you do worse you can use last years ones :) I think they get it automatically, because you put your old exam number on your cao form :)

Oh I see, well good luck to us both and everyone else in the same boat! Hopefully we'll go up

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Anyone else repeating as an external student? Where are you sitting your oral exams and written exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Anyone else repeating as an external student? Where are you sitting your oral exams and written exams?
    I am! I still haven't got a school for oral and written exams, shouldn't be a problem though... How're you finding it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I am! I still haven't got a school for oral and written exams, shouldn't be a problem though... How're you finding it? :)

I hope not...there should be a list of exam centres somewhere! Its not too bad, I've only decided to repeat externally very recently as I've had a few issues lately and found it very difficult to settle into school. I'm hoping to pick up the pace of the studying within the next few weeks! How about you? :) What are you hoping to do next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I hope not...there should be a list of exam centres somewhere! Its not too bad, I've only decided to repeat externally very recently as I've had a few issues lately and found it very difficult to settle into school. I'm hoping to pick up the pace of the studying within the next few weeks! How about you? :) What are you hoping to do next year?

Well it's until the end of January or there abouts you gots to register for an external candidate, so it shouldn't really be any hassle getting an exam centre. :) oooh really, well I'm not entirely motivated atm to study, but I will pick it up within the next few weeks, I hope :P
    Em, I'm not 100% sure, something media/English based. Yourself? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Basically I sat the Leaving Cert this year only got 415 and messed up the CAO and now I'm doing arts in UCD. I'm now thinking about repeating the Leaving Cert. Last year I sat the following: Irish H/L (B3), English H/L (C2), French H/L (D1), Engineering H/L (B2), Biology H/L (C1), Business H/L (C1), Maths O/L (C1) and LCVP (Merit).

I wont be able to do engineering this year as no repeat school offers Engineering and I dont want to do English again this year either.

Is anyone able to recommend two subjects that have relatively short courses that I could take up now? I'm thinking Economics would be a handy one considering I'm doing it at the moment in UCD, but I'm looking for advice on what would be considered a 2nd easy subject to take up?

Thanks alot any advice is appreciated

Advertisement