Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving certs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Basically I sat the Leaving Cert this year only got 415 and messed up the CAO and now I'm doing arts in UCD. I'm now thinking about repeating the Leaving Cert. Last year I sat the following: Irish H/L (B3), English H/L (C2), French H/L (D1), Engineering H/L (B2), Biology H/L (C1), Business H/L (C1), Maths O/L (C1) and LCVP (Merit).

I wont be able to do engineering this year as no repeat school offers Engineering and I dont want to do English again this year either.

Is anyone able to recommend two subjects that have relatively short courses that I could take up now? I'm thinking Economics would be a handy one considering I'm doing it at the moment in UCD, but I'm looking for advice on what would be considered a 2nd easy subject to take up?

Thanks alot any advice is appreciated

I could not recommend ag science enough. I took it up in October and I currently have 5 out of 9 sections studied, between overlap with biology and covering new areas myself. About 90% of the course is rote learning and a small amount is understanding. ( according to my teacher) I know your school may not offer it and if not don't worry, just make sure a school nearby teaches it so they can grade/evaluate your project. There's plently of threads on Boards if you want to know any more about it. But I definitely think it's one of the easier courses to complete in a year, especially seeing as you've already done biology.

Well it's until the end of January or there abouts you gots to register for an external candidate, so it shouldn't really be any hassle getting an exam centre. :) oooh really, well I'm not entirely motivated atm to study, but I will pick it up within the next few weeks, I hope :P
    Em, I'm not 100% sure, something media/English based. Yourself? :)

Motivation can be difficult to find as a repeat :( Hopefully pharmacy although I'm still undecided!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Basically I sat the Leaving Cert this year only got 415 and messed up the CAO and now I'm doing arts in UCD. I'm now thinking about repeating the Leaving Cert. Last year I sat the following: Irish H/L (B3), English H/L (C2), French H/L (D1), Engineering H/L (B2), Biology H/L (C1), Business H/L (C1), Maths O/L (C1) and LCVP (Merit).

I wont be able to do engineering this year as no repeat school offers Engineering and I dont want to do English again this year either.

Is anyone able to recommend two subjects that have relatively short courses that I could take up now? I'm thinking Economics would be a handy one considering I'm doing it at the moment in UCD, but I'm looking for advice on what would be considered a 2nd easy subject to take up?

Thanks alot any advice is appreciated

Yeah i agree with Ag Science! I have taken it up this year too and it has a project which is 25% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Confused93

It'll be worthwhile next year if when we get what we want :D

I know how ya feel :( Takes another repeat to understand it all :pac:

I'm not gonna say I like it cos' I'd much rather be in college (obviously :p) but I don't hate it either. It's more of a means to an end than anything else but at the same time I've made good friends in my new year and parts of repeating are actually quite enjoyable, especially have done it all once :) It's a mixed bag really but it's OK :)

Not gonna lie, I get very stressed sometimes although I do work well under stress :p

And yeah, to be honest I study a fair bit, if only to keep myself busy and from going out of my mind! (Oh and you know to do well in the LC :pac: ) The studying comes alot easier this year than last as well so that helps :) Yourself?

Consider the Mass candle lit for ya ;) :pac:
    Ya I find as the days go by it gets easier! it's almost christmas now and we'll be half way there then.. :D

I spoke to a friend of mine doing primary teaching in mary I recently and she absolutely loves it! hearing her talk about it has made me so excited! :D

Ya i find the studying comes a little easier too! I'm thinking if I just do homework really well for the time being then I should be ok.. I just did my homework last year and it wasn't as if I was far away (it kills me!)

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? Do you think points will be comiing down next year? I've been hearing loads of rumours that they will.. :D what are you aiming for this time around?

Thanks, I'll be saying all the prayers in the bible next! haha :P

How are all of yee getting on in your premocks or do yee have them?:/

• Advertisement

rosiee wrote: »

Don't do them in our school anyways! How are you finding it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Confused93 wrote: »
    Ya I find as the days go by it gets easier! it's almost christmas now and we'll be half way there then.. :D

I spoke to a friend of mine doing primary teaching in mary I recently and she absolutely loves it! hearing her talk about it has made me so excited! :D

Ya i find the studying comes a little easier too! I'm thinking if I just do homework really well for the time being then I should be ok.. I just did my homework last year and it wasn't as if I was far away (it kills me!)

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? Do you think points will be comiing down next year? I've been hearing loads of rumours that they will.. :D what are you aiming for this time around?

Thanks, I'll be saying all the prayers in the bible next! haha :P

Sure it'll soon be summer :pac:

Yeah, everyone I know who does primary teaching all say really good things about it... Plus they're all sound people :)

I'll PM ya where I'm from. Might be too much information to give away on a public thread :p Yeah most people I've spoken to about it say that there's a good chance that the points will at least stay the same :D Too early for anyone to know though so I'm just gonna convince myself they'll rise to keep myself from easing off! Anything 480+ and I'm laughing... I just want my course :pac: Would be nice to break 500 though!

Oh and we've our pre-mocks done at this stage :D

Don't do them in our school anyways! How are you finding it? :)

Oh really ? ye're lucky :P
    Em not too bad so far only it kinda freaks me out that I'm 19 and repeating and there's all 17 yr olds sitting around me that seem to writing a lot more than me :/ :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

We had ours there this week. Overall i think they went pretty well, i was worried about english, cause of macbeth and all the new poety, but it was grand. Everything else was pretty good too (i hope!) though our teachers ended our irish exam 20 minutes early by mistake, so i wrote a really short sceal and litir at the end, which sucks since the rest of the paper went very well! But sure thyre only practise anyways.:o
    How did ye find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

LERL don't worry about Pre-mock results.. I did 65 points better in the Leaving than in the pre-mocks last year! :P

• Advertisement

Oh really ? ye're lucky :P
    Em not too bad so far only it kinda freaks me out that I'm 19 and repeating and there's all 17 yr olds sitting around me that seem to writing a lot more than me :/ :L

I'm 19 and repeating too! :D Don't worry you're not alone at all... I feel so old for school too.. :( What are you hoping to do? :)

I'm 19 and repeating too! :D Don't worry you're not alone at all... I feel so old for school too.. :( What are you hoping to do? :)

Omg yayy there's someone else :P haha Ino i'm the same.. I'm definately the oldest in the school :/ em primary teaching in Mary I hopefully will be no.1 :) you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

Omg yayy there's someone else :P haha Ino i'm the same.. I'm definately the oldest in the school :/ em primary teaching in Mary 1 hopefully will be no.1 :) you?

Im 19 too, only since like 3 weeks ago! Theres another girl repeating whos been 19 since april. But i guess we have the upper hand cause wev done it all before, though im not so happy about only starting college when im 20!

lisa1993 wrote: »
    Im 19 too, only since like 3 weeks ago! Theres another girl repeating whos been 19 since april. But i guess we have the upper hand cause wev done it all before, though im not so happy about only starting college when im 20!
    Yeah I suppose!! Yeah that's the worst thing about it.. :S

Omg yayy there's someone else :P haha Ino i'm the same.. I'm definately the oldest in the school :/ em primary teaching in Mary I hopefully will be no.1 :) you?

We're both in the exact same situation so! Ya I'm hoping to go to mary I aswell next year.. :D were you off by much this year? :D

We're both in the exact same situation so! Ya I'm hoping to go to mary I aswell next year.. :D were you off by much this year? :D

Aw class hopefully I'll see you there next year ..:) No not much so hopefully now :D wbu?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fooree

Would it still be possible to repeat at this time of month ? I just realized I hate what I'm studying in college. I did my leaving cert last year.

Fooree wrote: »
    Would it still be possible to repeat at this time of month ? I just realized I hate what I'm studying in college. I did my leaving cert last year.

Go for it! It's only mid November, most probably haven't started studying properly yet. If you work hard you can only do better than last year and repeating the LC course which you're already familiar with followed by the course you want is a much wiser decision than staying in a course you hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

FML ! Damn brain - you must absorb !!!!! :(

I'm 19 and repeating too! :D Don't worry you're not alone at all... I feel so old for school too.. :(

Screw you guys, I am 20! Beat ye ha ...oh wait... i am a fossil :D

• Advertisement

Aw class hopefully I'll see you there next year ..:) No not much so hopefully now :D wbu?

I hope so!Am no I was off by barely nothing.. Off by 5 points and then in my rechecks I realised I only needed 2 marks to be upgraded in business which would have then given me my required 5 points..Didn't get my recheck but I've sent an appeal into the independant appeals scrutineers so I'm waiting for that still... sickening stuff I'm afraid.. :/ how are you finding repeating? :D

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Screw you guys, I am 20! Beat ye ha ...oh wait... i am a fossil :D

Do you find it really weird Cateyed? I feel soooo old in my school.. :D Fair play tho, I wouldn't have gone back at 20.. Saying that now tho I probably would if I didn't get teaching again.. :'( How do you find it? :D

Fooree wrote: »

It's defiantly possible! If you really hate it then there isn't much point really continuing on.. :/ You can regiister as an external student until January (not sure of dates sorry!)but you could maybe try your old school? I only started repeating in my old school in mid october! Anything's possible! :D

Do you find it really weird Cateyed? I feel soooo old in my school.. :D Fair play tho, I wouldn't have gone back at 20.. Saying that now tho I probably would if I didn't get teaching again.. :'( How do you find it? :D

I do find it weird considering this time last year I was trotting around campus turning in assignments still half cut after a night out :D Nah I am messing, I wasn't THAT bad at all!

Honestly, I am happier than last year. It was the wrong course last year, I felt lost and anxious as a result - so much so, I made myself ill earlier this year with stress.
    So I feel although it seems ridiculous for a 20 year old to sit a leaving certificate again, I am myself again.
    I feel if I had stayed in the course, it would of ruined me. I have a second chance to get what I want again.

Yeah most of the crowd in my current year are very immature and I can't relate with any of them (people pulling each other around and shoving each other in the corridors is not my definition of a "laugh") but I feel I have the advantage maturity wise over them.

I think the worst thing about being older and doing a repeat leaving cert the fact other people you went to school with are moving forward with relationships and their career path.
    I have lost all my friends as a result of leaving my course. I'd say, I could count the ones who still take an interest on my hand -and even at that...they are moving on themselves.
    I do feel lonely and it does feel surreal but I try to keep reminding myself why I am doing it.

I do find it weird considering this time last year I was trotting around campus turning in assignments still half cut after a night out :D Nah I am messing, I wasn't THAT bad at all!

Honestly, I am happier than last year. It was the wrong course last year, I felt lost and anxious as a result - so much so, I made myself ill earlier this year with stress.
    So I feel although it seems ridiculous for a 20 year old to sit a leaving certificate again, I am myself again.
    I feel if I had stayed in the course, it would of ruined me. I have a second chance to get what I want again.

Yeah most of the crowd in my current year are very immature and I can't relate with any of them (people pulling each other around and shoving each other in the corridors is not my definition of a "laugh") but I feel I have the advantage maturity wise over them.

I think the worst thing about being older and doing a repeat leaving cert the fact other people you went to school with are moving forward with relationships and their career path.
    I have lost all my friends as a result of leaving my course. I'd say, I could count the ones who still take an interest on my hand -and even at that...they are moving on themselves.
    I do feel lonely and it does feel surreal but I try to keep reminding myself why I am doing it.

Wow! I have so much respect for you.. it sounds as if you been through a tough time but i'm really glad that you're feeling alot happier now :) You must be so relieved that you're finally out of that course! making yourself sick isn't worth it! Hopefully this year you'll get what you want and everything will work out.. :) It must be especially hard without anyone to turn to for support too.. Are you back in your own school? Are you friendly with any girls in your year? everyone moving on,ya I find that tough too.. feel a bit stuck or as if you're moving backwards? know the feeling all too well.. :/ What are you hoping to do next year?.. keep fighting the good fight ;)

Wow! I have so much respect for you.. it sounds as if you been through a tough time but i'm really glad that you're feeling alot happier now :) You must be so relieved that you're finally out of that course! making yourself sick isn't worth it! Hopefully this year you'll get what you want and everything will work out.. :) It must be especially hard without anyone to turn to for support too.. Are you back in your own school? Are you friendly with any girls in your year? everyone moving on,ya I find that tough too.. feel a bit stuck or as if you're moving backwards? know the feeling all too well.. :/ What are you hoping to do next year?.. keep fighting the good fight ;)

No I am at a repeat leaving cert programme.
    So, it's not too bad but you still have the immaturity. Yeah it's quite tough. When I was 17, I thought I'd have it all figured out and have a serious relationship and all my friends. But I have neither.... (It's a pity I stopped drinking lol I'd cope better I'd say haha joke!)
    I want to do General Nursing or Children's and General Intergrated. I'm trying to make ends meet working too as I have double fee's so I would be lucky to get the Children's and General. General Nursing would make me equally as happy... The reason I didn't wait till mature is because I am not 23 on a January, so I would of had to wait until I am 24. So....here I am!

What about you?

I hope so!Am no I was off by barely nothing.. Off by 5 points and then in my rechecks I realised I only needed 2 marks to be upgraded in business which would have then given me my required 5 points..Didn't get my recheck but I've sent an appeal into the independant appeals scrutineers so I'm waiting for that still... sickening stuff I'm afraid.. :/ how are you finding repeating? :D

Jezzz you were so close :O you'll def get Mary I next yr then :).. oh so if they brought you up would it be too late to start ?:/
    Ah yeah it isn't tooo bad .. its flying like :O how are you finding it?:)

omg my sister did the exact same thing as you last year.. she did 1st year in Galway and she didn't like it so she decided to go back and repeat. She was 20 too in March! It was so worth it for her though because she's doing what she wants now:) It'll fly don't worry :)

Jezzz you were so close :O you'll def get Mary I next yr then :).. oh so if they brought you up would it be too late to start ?:/
    Ah yeah it isn't tooo bad .. its flying like :O how are you finding it?:)

Ya super close.. it's a sickner! Ya it's too late.. I'd probably get a deferred place maybe or something like that if you get what I mean.. :D Ya I'm the same it's not as bad as I though but at the same time I took up ag science and I kinda finding that tough to catch up on.. other then that it's flying sure.. :D

• Advertisement

No I am at a repeat leaving cert programme.
    So, it's not too bad but you still have the immaturity. Yeah it's quite tough. When I was 17, I thought I'd have it all figured out and have a serious relationship and all my friends. But I have neither.... (It's a pity I stopped drinking lol I'd cope better I'd say haha joke!)
    I want to do General Nursing or Children's and General Intergrated. I'm trying to make ends meet working too as I have double fee's so I would be lucky to get the Children's and General. General Nursing would make me equally as happy... The reason I didn't wait till mature is because I am not 23 on a January, so I would of had to wait until I am 24. So....here I am!

What about you?
    You're not repeating in college of commerce by any chance are you? :D Ya I'm the same.. this time last year I though i had my course in the bag like.. well to be fair though it wasn't as if I was far off..... :/
    Oh very good.. Loads of people repeat for nursing so don't worry you're not alone :D Ya sure you'd nearly be qualified by then so you might aswell do this year and you're happy out then for the next four years.. :D
    Am I want to do primary school teaching in Mary I.. :D

Advertisement