Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy Technician

Options
  • 20-09-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know any distance learning/online courses for the above, other than the course run by IPU?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

the only ones I know of in Ireland are the Ipu and then Full time course in college currently studying it myself in DIT. No Online ones that I have ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Theres a part time one AIT

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shiMy

Heya ive been looking around for a part time one as well. The one in Athlone Institute of Technology has not been running for a couple of years as there was not enough people. However when i enquired about it I was told that if there are enough people interested they might restart it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

The course in IT Carlow is 3 days per week and 1 day work placement. You are in college from Sept to May and then go on 6 month placement.

The course in IT Carlow is 3 days per week and 1 day work placement. You are in college from Sept to May and then go on 6 month placement.

in DIT 1st year is full time. 2nd year in the 2nd semester you do 6 months work experience and in 1 day a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cogra10

Hi,
    I was looking into this course too, Im coming from a 3 year arts degree so quite different background, just wondering how hard are the subjects much CA?

Lots of CA, the first years will tell you that there is nearly too much! All of the subjects have a practical element, it is a very hands on course. The work placement helps make sense of what you do in class.

Thanks! Is there a lot of maths in it and is it tough to find a job?

There is a subject - calculations and computing, which has a certain amount of maths in it. The maths is about calculating dosages, so adding, subtract, multiply and ratios. If you have passed maths at leaving cert level, you should be fine.
    As regards jobs, it depends on whether or not you can travel, the local area in South East is very top heavy with technicians but if you have the flexibility to move then you should have no problem. Check out Pharmacy Technician IT Carlow on Facebook, there are jobs advertised there and it will give you an idea about what is out there.
    A lot of students get kept on as employees when they finish their placement as well.

I have one more question, sorry for going on but is a Pharmacy Technician a Safe job. Like is there anyways the chance ya might dispense the wrong amount of medicine to someone or that kind of issue.

• Advertisement

cogra10 wrote: »
    I have one more question, sorry for going on but is a Pharmacy Technician a Safe job. Like is there anyways the chance ya might dispense the wrong amount of medicine to someone or that kind of issue.
    You're fine, Pharmacy Technicians always work under the supervision of a pharmacist, and all prescriptions are double checked before giving them to patients.

cogra10 wrote: »

You can never hand out a prescription without a pharmacist checking it so the chance is small there are safe guards to try prevent that from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tammyxxx

Is the chemistry really difficult in this course at ait pharmacy technician. I didn't do it in my lc �� and am not mathematical or scientifically brained .i unsure of this course is for me and any advice would be really appreciated

Advertisement