Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Innocence Of Muslims, Anyone Seen It Yet ?

• 20-09-2012 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Referring to the new film that seen riots in some Muslim countries-has anyone actually seen it yet ? I haven,t had time to watch it as of yet-Im gonna watch it sometime in the next few days-I must say I find the reaction over the top and hysterical-Pat Condell post a new video blog with his thoughts on the recent trouble-I agree with Pat 100%.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

This is like sooooooooooo last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I watched the video.

Its a purely acted and directed movie which if a bit of canned laughter was added here and there it could be mistaken for a comedy.

But i have no idea how that video could have incited the riots that occured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Muslims:rolleyes: No sense of humour. On a serious note i watched some of it last night and the bad acting and the browned up faces made me turn it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It has a man portraying the prophet.

That's all.

They see that as a massive offence.

Kinda like the drawing in the Danish paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gee Bag wrote: »

True - wait till next week.
    They will be up in arms about something else.

Religion of peace and love...

...My arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Am Chile wrote: »
    Referring to the new film that seen riots in some Muslim countries-has anyone actually seen it yet ? I haven,t had time to watch it as of yet-Im gonna watch it sometime in the next few days-I must say I find the reaction over the top and hysterical-Pat Condell post a new video blog with his thoughts on the recent trouble-I agree with Pat 100%.

Generalising much!

Pat Condell is hysterical but not in the way that you seem to think. :confused:

It seems like the makers of the film knew it would have the effect it did.
    Not many laughs, but plenty of attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Christians rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Christians rock.

Yep, but unfortunatley they look like this when they do...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I watched a bit of it, poor viewing.

I feel sorry for the actors they are probably in danger now. I don't care about the insulting Muslims bit. They are far too sensitive. Plenty of shows about christians that could be deemed disrespectful but you don't see them tearing up the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

My film, 'the muppetry of religion' will be coming to a youtube near you very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Is this what tomorrow's protest at the US Embassy in Dublin is all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

woodoo wrote: »
    Plenty of shows about christians that could be deemed disrespectful but you don't see them tearing up the streets.
    I beg to differ, this guy tore the shít out of the streets due to one of these shows!
    http://i.imgur.com/lX9fo.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I beg to differ, this guy tore the shít out of the streets due to one of these shows!
    http://i.imgur.com/lX9fo.jpg

Those wimmen were in the nip.... durka durka durka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Gee Bag wrote: »

From news reports I seen online today-theres still unrest in Pakistan and other Muslim countries so its ongoing.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Is this what tomorrow's protest at the US Embassy in Dublin is all about?

I wasn,t aware of this protest taking place tomorrow ? any Idea whos organising it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Wow, Pat Condell seems like a real cunt.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    I watched a bit of it, poor viewing.

I feel sorry for the actors they are probably in danger now. I don't care about the insulting Muslims bit. They are far too sensitive. Plenty of shows about christians that could be deemed disrespectful but you don't see them tearing up the streets.

My thoughts exactly-there has some scenes in other tv shows/films poking fun at other religions and no unrest over it, for example.

The scene in Superhero Movie poking fun at the Dalai Lama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

TV3 was so impressed with the pilot, they've commissioned a 48 part series, mainly because it only cost them 32 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

No Christians caused unrest over it-yet the minute a cartoon or film about Mohammed appears theres great unrest.

Plenty of Christians protest over plays/films/music that they find offensive. It's been going on for years. There may be different ways of protesting. The foreign way is newsworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

How well do you think a film would go down that made fun of the holocaust?

Double standards much?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Plenty of Christians protest over plays/films/music that they find offensive. It's been going on for years. There may be different ways of protesting. The foreign way is newsworthy.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/924-visits-of-the-sixties/288313-jayne-mansfield-in-tralee/

Having a protest is one thing-burning down embassies,trying to attack people at Universities,mass rioting is another thing entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It seems like the makers of the film knew it would have the effect it did.
    Not many laughs, but plenty of attention.

Absolutely, it was nothing more than a talentless gobshytes way of getting attention, without the associated marketing costs and expenses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Pat Condell is one of these idiots - and there are a lot of them, who think the Israelis really are buddies with the West in the great, Marvel Comics fight against Mooslims. Point out to this simpleton that in Israel, children are taught that non-Jews are cattle and Priests spat on, and he'll draw a bewildered expression on his face.

Ask him how a Mossad surveillance team knew to have a camera erected on a tripod on top of a van on 9/11 in New Jersey ready to record the first impact - another blank, bewilidered stare will come through.

Simpletons like this should not be allowed near a voting booth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's clearly been made with the sole aim of insulting the Muslim religion. And it doesn't hide it with humour or satire. It's just a hate movie, nothing more. And I disagree with that kind of thing. Freedom expression is all well and good but it should not be used to insult a billion people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There is 1.6 billion Muslims, and a few thousand loons in backward countries causing trouble. I'm sick of seeing people tar them all with the same brush.

I guarantee all 1.6 billion believers are upset about the video, but 99.999% of them aren't going to kill and riot because of it.

inb4 ''religion of peace lolol''

I watched about 5 minutes and turned it off, boring and the acting feckin sucks balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some people will find any excuse to shout, chant and burn **** for the smallest of reasons.

Its a bit like what Tommy Tiernan said, Thick fcukers love sheds. Same applies here.

MagicSean wrote: »
    It's clearly been made with the sole aim of insulting the Muslim religion. And it doesn't hide it with humour or satire. It's just a hate movie, nothing more. And I disagree with that kind of thing. Freedom expression is all well and good but it should not be used to insult a billion people.

Exactly. Anyone whose seen the movie can clearly tell its an absolute joke and wasn't made to recieve any critical acclaim. It was poorly made and with only one purpose which was to insult muslims. And thanks to the media hype, the makers of the movie managed to achieve exactly what they set out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

ikeano29 wrote: »

Any chance we can have a night honouring Salman, where we jump him and hand him over for the bounty. Just think of that split between all the posters on After Hours, plus we rid the world of a smug fcuker to boot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

20 seconds in and I tire of the "Once Again" catch phrase he seems to have for himself preceding every sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Double standards much?!

It wouldn't go down well but you can guarantee 100% that there wouldn't be riots and murders.

Not the same thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You were doing ok till you mentioned condell. You lost me there.

It wouldn't go down well but you can guarantee 100% that there wouldn't riots and murders.

Do you really think Israel will remain quiet about it?

Also compare around 13.5 million Jews with around 1.6 billion muslims.
    That's a lot more people to insult...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It wouldn't go down well but you can guarantee 100% that there wouldn't be riots and murders.

You are talking about social context, not religious extremism. In those countries high tensions would be used regularly to trigger violence. It happened in England last year. Not an odd thing to see, just doesn't happen regularly in front of us.

Do you really think Israel will remain quiet about it?
    It's not a question about remaining quiet about it. Muslims have every right to be angry about it as would Jews about a film mimicking the holocaust. These people aren't just remaining quiet about it though, they're murdering people. These people should be ousted for the murderers they are, seperate them from religion and treat them like they are, murderers. I'm sick of everyone saying 'Oh, you shouldn't make film's like that', I agree but the main focus shouldn't be if a film has been made or not, it should be that these murderers are murdering in the name of it and everyone's going 'Ah, you shouldn't have made that film, you know what they're like'.

The French pulling children from schools abroad because of a cartoon. A US Ambassador been murdered (a declaration of war in itself). And people like Obama are coming out trying to calm the crowd. Your citizens are been murdered over the most trivial thing and you want to talk with them? Can someone point me towards an official Muslim response to this outbreak calling these murderers what they are...murderers and nothing more! Distance these people from any religion, otherwise you get daft BNP racists like Condell using it as an excuse to hate a billion people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Mr. Condell likes making statements that go: "we've had...", "we know...", "we cannot..." & so on. Yet who is he speaking for? If it is a majority or even a substantial minority, then he'd have millions of views or be on mainstream TV. Effectively, I suspect he speaks for one segment of the population that is seething that it has little or no control in the world. I suspect that that segment has little or no control in the world as they understand so little about it.

It's not the conspiracy of some others that renders them of no effect, it's their own lacking, a lack of skills ranging from those required for analyzing what is actually happening in their environment to those required to persuade masses of people to effect change.

I've seen some clips of this Innocence of Muslims thing & was amazed just how much it seemed designed solely to malign Islam, viewed either as a religion or as a tradition.

I cannot know the motivation for creating such a piece of work, but I doubt it surprised or disappointed the makers that riots ensued & people have been killed.

I'm guessing the motivations for the riots were mixed, from the political convenience of an outrage, through hotheadedness & the madness of crowds, all the way to the anger people feel when they feel that the view of the world that they & their family holds dear is being dishonoured. There are many more such motivating factors, I am sure.

The motivations of those who like Mr. Condell would seize these events as yet another opportunity to 'explain' how things are, well, I think I've mentioned some of those..

'Islam: The Untold Story' was a much more interesting phenomenon, as has been the responses to it & some of the responses to those responses.

• Advertisement

It's not a question about remaining quiet about it. Muslims have every right to be angry about it as would Jews about a film mimicking the holocaust. These people aren't just remaining quiet about it though, they're murdering people. These people should be ousted for the murderers they are, seperate them from religion and treat them like they are, murderers. I'm sick of everyone saying 'Oh, you shouldn't make film's like that', I agree but the main focus shouldn't be if a film has been made or not, it should be that these murderers are murdering in the name of it and everyone's going 'Ah, you shouldn't have made that film, you know what they're like'.

The French pulling children from schools abroad because of a cartoon. A US Ambassador been murdered (a declaration of war in itself). And people like Obama are coming out trying to calm the crowd. Your citizens are been murdered over the most trivial thing and you want to talk with them? Can someone point me towards an official Muslim response to this outbreak calling these murderers what they are...murderers and nothing more! Distance these people from any religion, otherwise you get daft BNP racists like Condell using it as an excuse to hate a billion people.

Firstly its only a few crazy muslims who caused the few murders. Libya is an extremely unstable country currently at war and in extreme social unrest. Such an event would have only acted as a catalyst towards such an attack on the US embassey there. Its hardly surprising an American official got killed there. There are many people in Libya who view USA as the enemy which killed their leader and people.

Secondly there is no "official spokesperson" of the muslims who can give an official statement on the behalf of 1.6 billion people from various different nationalities and societies. Many muslims have voiced their condemnation of the unfortunate events that have taken place from all over the world but the news channels like to focus on where the "action" is taking place.

Also its intresting how people quickly jump towards pointing at the "crazy violent muslims" when such events happen. A lot of violence and killing took place in London last year as well. No one went around saying "look how crazy and violent Londoners are!!".

Firstly its only a few crazy muslims who caused the few murders. Libya is an extremely unstable country currently at war and in extreme social unrest. Such an event would have only acted as a catalyst towards such an attack on the US embassey there. Its hardly surprising an American official got killed there. There are many people in Libya who view USA as the enemy which killed their leader and people.
    I imagine there'll be more deaths but I can't be positive. I'm going on the death rate of something like 40 or 50 because of the Danish cartoon and predicting the same again.
    Secondly there is no "official spokesperson" of the muslims who can give an official statement on the behalf of 1.6 billion people from various different nationalities and societies. Many muslims have voiced their condemnation of the unfortunate events that have taken place from all over the world but the news channels like to focus on where the "action" is taking place.
    The main responses I've seen is people condemning the video. there's no need for that, everyone's in the same boat. Condemn the acts that have followed. Hilary Clinton's response was unimpressive, condemning the acts but firstly her main point been that condemning the video. Fúck that, your citizens have been murdered, that's top priority.
    Also its intresting how people quickly jump towards pointing at the "crazy violent muslims" when such events happen. A lot of violence and killing took place in London last year as well. No one went around saying "look how crazy and violent Londoners are!!".
    Actually, I think a lot of people did say look how crazy they are, at least towards the youth. And I agree about people jumping towards blaming all muslims. That's what our idiot Condell does. what I'd like to see is all Muslim's to forget about their outrage about the film first and condemn and distance themselves from the murderers and rioters. It gives anti-Muslim beliefs a serious boost when this carry on happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

I tried but after about minute I had to give up, it's just that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Having a protest is one thing-burning down embassies,trying to attack people at Universities,mass rioting is another thing entirely.

Both are examples of unrest, which you claimed wouldn't happen if it involved insults to Christianity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

. A US Ambassador been murdered (a declaration of war in itself).

The attack on the Ambassador wasn't about the film, the attack was planned a long time in advance:
    Report: Never an Anti-American Protest in Benghazi, Only a Planned Attack

CBS reports this morning that witnesses are saying "that there was never an anti-American protest outside of the consulate [in Benghazi, Libya]. Instead, they say, it came under planned attack. That is in direct contradiction to the administration's account of the incident."

As for an official Muslim response. There is no such thing, as there is no one that represents Muslims in general.

There have been people who condemned the violence, but by its very nature, its not as loud, as there not wrecking stuff:
    A Moment for Moderates

There were also pro-American demonstrations in Libya:
    'This Does Not Represent Us': Moving Photos of Pro-American Rallies in Libya

Again they didn't wreck the place, so don't get much coverage.

Personally, the violent protests are dumb, and those involved idiots.

Both are examples of unrest, which you claimed wouldn't happen if it involved insults to Christianity.

When the mohammed cartoons were published in Danish newspapers at the time there was embassies set ablaze, people killed in mass riots-a few months before those danish mohammed cartoons, there was a paddy power cartoon advert of Jesus playing poker at the last supper-I can,t recall any Irish embassies set ablaze or anyone being killed in mass riots over the paddy power cartoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 386dx_009

I watched the video.

Its a purely acted and directed movie which if a bit of canned laughter was added here and there it could be mistaken for a comedy.

surprised that comedy on bbc has not sparked world wide riots by now.

Double standards much?!
    Iranian TV Channel 1 broadcast the anti-Jewish film "Saturday Hunter" in which a wild-eyed rabbi teaches his young grandson to become a mass-murderer of non-Jews and to create a machine that will destroy every other nation.

Jews are also depicted falsifying ancient scriptures and discussing how to corrupt Christians and Muslims so that men will turn female, women will turn male and both Christian and Muslim lineages will die out.

The rabbi - who lies about being blind - is shown telling his grandson that the Jewish scriptures approve of murder as long as it's a non-Jew who is being killed. Subsequently, the boy is shown murdering an Arab boy who was a friend of his.

This film, directed Mohammed Qahremani was produced last year and has been screened at a film festival in Tehran and subsequently shown in cinemas around Iran. Having been shown in the last few weeks on a government-run TV channel, its connection with the Iranian government is much greater than that between the US government and the "Innocence of Muslims" which is currently the source of such controversy.

Yet, there have been no riots, no violence, not even any public protests that I'm aware of outside Iranian embassies or consulates. Far from being offended, Jews seem to have shrugged it off. Jewish community leaders in Iran did write in protest about it to the regime but were ignored. http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/6676.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I wasn,t aware of this protest taking place tomorrow ? any Idea whos organising it ?

Nah - but they told the international/American students to avoid the US embassy today because of some protest.

Its still ongoing it seems with more clashes today.

Thousands of protesters angry at a US-made anti-Islam film clashed with
    police close to Islamabad’s diplomatic enclave in chaotic scenes that left at
    least 50 people injured.

Officers fired tear gas and live rounds as the demonstrators, many armed with
    wooden clubs, tried to reach the heavily-guarded enclave, home to most Western
    embassies, including the US, British and French missions.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/thousands-clash-with-police-over-anti-islam-film-208300.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement