Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Innocence Of Muslims, Anyone Seen It Yet ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Am Chile wrote: »
    When the mohammed cartoons were published in Danish newspapers at the time there was embassies set ablaze, people killed in mass riots-a few months before those danish mohammed cartoons, there was a paddy power cartoon advert of Jesus playing poker at the last supper-I can,t recall any Irish embassies set ablaze or anyone being killed in mass riots over the paddy power cartoon.

Yes, the above is an example of unrest. As is protesting to prevent people from seeing plays etc depicting Jesus in a 'blasphemous' way, which you claimed didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    There is 1.6 billion Muslims, and a few thousand loons in backward countries causing trouble. I'm sick of seeing people tar them all with the same brush.

I guarantee all 1.6 billion believers are upset about the video, but 99.999% of them aren't going to kill and riot because of it.

inb4 ''religion of peace lolol''

I watched about 5 minutes and turned it off, boring and the acting feckin sucks balls.

Still better than Battlefield Earth, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Aquila wrote: »
    What would jesus say

"why did I even bother?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Still better than Battlefield Earth, though.

lies, that book was great up until around page 4000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What would jesus say

If it was about Mohammed or his off-spring nut-jobs, we would never know.
    It would be edited out such as news sites (journal.ie for one) regularly do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

what i find so strange about all this.. Jesus is also a prophet in Islam, the piss is ripped out of him on a regular basis, but no protests or killings or whatever.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Am Chile wrote: »
    Iranian TV Channel 1 broadcast the anti-Jewish film "Saturday Hunter" in which a wild-eyed rabbi teaches his young grandson to become a mass-murderer of non-Jews and to create a machine that will destroy every other nation.

Jews are also depicted falsifying ancient scriptures and discussing how to corrupt Christians and Muslims so that men will turn female, women will turn male and both Christian and Muslim lineages will die out.

The rabbi - who lies about being blind - is shown telling his grandson that the Jewish scriptures approve of murder as long as it's a non-Jew who is being killed. Subsequently, the boy is shown murdering an Arab boy who was a friend of his.

This film, directed Mohammed Qahremani was produced last year and has been screened at a film festival in Tehran and subsequently shown in cinemas around Iran. Having been shown in the last few weeks on a government-run TV channel, its connection with the Iranian government is much greater than that between the US government and the "Innocence of Muslims" which is currently the source of such controversy.

Yet, there have been no riots, no violence, not even any public protests that I'm aware of outside Iranian embassies or consulates. Far from being offended, Jews seem to have shrugged it off. Jewish community leaders in Iran did write in protest about it to the regime but were ignored. http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/6676.htm

And the israelies certainly didn't blow up a load of scientists in Iran. And definitely aren't planning an airstrike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

neil_hosey wrote: »
    what i find so strange about all this.. Jesus is also a prophet in Islam, the piss is ripped out of him on a regular basis, but no protests or killings or whatever.

:confused:

They only seem to care about the dead head honcho.

Pretty sure I read that there is a march scheduled for this wednesday, at the US embassy here in Dublin,
    organised I think by Khalid Kelly.

Anyone hear anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What would jesus say

I gave you a "like" for that ,because I can't find a "groan" button.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

How can so many people get so het up over a film about a fairytale?
    Mohammed is more a phrophet than the pope, Paisley,or my aunt Betsy.
    Herein lies the dangers of organized religion

Slurryface wrote: »
    How can so many people get so het up over a film about a fairytale?
    Mohammed is more a phrophet than the pope, Paisley,or my aunt Betsy.
    Herein lies the dangers of organized religion

I don't think Islam is very well organised at all, and that thousands of mad mullahs are all interpreting it differently to each other, and winding up the peasants.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't think Islam is very well organised at all, and that thousands of mad mullahs are all interpreting it differently to each other, and winding up the peasants.

Replace "Islam" for another religion and" "mullahs" for "popes" and there is very little difference to be honest I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've seen the trailer and tried watching the full film but tbh it's pretty crap.

biko wrote: »
    I've seen the trailer and tried watching the full film but tbh it's pretty crap.

Thats the general if not the whole consensus.
    Supposedly crappy stuff to say the least by all accounts.

Its just another excuse for a bunch of religious nutters to lash out at USA, England or any other country that supposedly holds (in theory) the idea that freedom of expression should be allowed.

Biggins wrote: »
    Replace "Islam" for another religion and" "mullahs" for "popes" and there is very little difference to be honest I think!

There aren't thousands of popes with different opinions on their own religion, which is what I think makes Islam a bigger problem area than Catholicism as religions go.

There aren't thousands of popes with different opinions on their own religion, which is what I think makes Islam a bigger problem area than Catholicism as religions go.

Replace it with pastor then.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hagee#Personal_beliefs

Edited to add this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2138449/The-end-nigh--Americans-think-world-end-year.html
    22% of Americans believe world will end in their lifetime (and 10% think the apocalypse is coming this year)
    One in four believe it will end in their lifetime
    Only 6% of French are worried about end of the world

Grayson wrote: »

Yeh?:confused:

• Advertisement

Its a side issue but over centuries various popes had their own convenient view of words in the bible to justify their actions - but I know where you coming from and don't disagree with you previously.

Its a side issue but over centuries various popes had their own convenient view of words in the bible to justify their actions - but I know where you coming from and don't disagree with you previously.

Those were the good old days when they went on a shagathon, and were probably no more religious than Stalin.:pac:

Yeh?:confused:

He's a christian pastor who believes that the US has a divine mission, that Muslims are evil and that the holocaust occured because God wanted the jews to move to the holy land, so israel would be refounded and the end times would begin.

There's just as many crazy flavours in christianity as there are in islam.

At least as was pointed out, catholicism has a tighter rein on it's adherants.

He's a christian pastor who believes that the US has a divine mission, that Muslims are evil and that the holocaust occured because God wanted the jews to move to the holy land, so israel would be refounded and the end times would begin.

There's just as many crazy flavours in christianity as there are in islam.

At least as was pointed out, catholicism has a tighter rein on it's adherants.

There are always religious nutters on the fringes, and it's fortunate that they seem to be small groups that are so of the wall that they'd never decide to get together, or all hell would break loose.:(

There are always religious nutters on the fringes, and it's fortunate that they seem to be small groups that are so of the wall that they'd never decide to get together, or all hell would break loose.:(

I din't link to the beginning of that article but the first two lines about him say
    John Charles Hagee (born April 12, 1940) is an American founder and senior pastor of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas, a non-denominational charismatic megachurch with more than 19,000 active members.[1]

That's scary.

I din't link to the beginning of that article but the first two lines about him say

That's scary.

Scary if you're in Texas, but not so scary when you compare it to the number of easily wound-up Muslims in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

True - wait till next week.
    They will be up in arms about something else.

Religion of peace and love...

...My arse!
    Anything insulting or derogatory coming from America or its allies is bound to unleash their pent up anger and really its understandable..made in USA bombs have been raining down on them for decades destroying their homes and slaughtering their families.Also its very strange how a fraudster and drug dealer suddenly decided to make a film insulting them,the guys history suggests he was only all about making a fast buck.They should check his finances and see if there is somebody in the background writing his cheque's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

However in Islam it's not confined to the fringes!

Saudi Arabia has one of the most backward and fundamentalist forms of Islam as it's main religion in Wahhabism. This is a form of Islam which executes people for Sorcery and witchcraft - along with the crimes of:
    Adultery
    Apostasy
    Armed robbery
    Blasphemy
    Carjacking
    Drug smuggling
    Fornication
    Home Invasion
    Homosexuality
    Idolatry
    Murder
    Prostitution
    Rape
    Sedition
    Sexual misconduct
    Sorcery
    Terrorism
    Theft (fourth conviction)
    Treason

One problem with some of these crimes is that they can't possibly be proven and are completely at the discretion of the judge who can be easily influenced - Sedition and Treason would seem to be there purely to protect the political status quo. Of course if you happen to be a member of the Royal family who get's accused of any of these, there's always a way out.

Even Arabs have woken up to the fact that most of their countries are essentially backward by comparison with Western standards. The fact is Islamic countries in general are living about 1000 years behind reality and believe they actually have something to offer the west, that we should benefit from their "wisdom"

Apart from groovy head-wear, dresses for men and second class citizenship for women, I am not sure what they really offer any more :D

"The Truth is that arabs have nothing to offer others".

archer22 wrote: »
    Anything insulting or derogatory coming from America or its allies is bound to unleash their pent up anger and really its understandable..made in USA bombs have been raining down on them for decades destroying their homes and slaughtering their families.Also its very strange how a fraudster and drug dealer suddenly decided to make a film insulting them,the guys history suggests he was only all about making a fast buck.They should check his finances and see if there is somebody in the background writing his cheque's.

Clearly the film maker had his (we think its a "him") own agenda.
    Be it political or otherwise, the end result is still the same as we know.

In the meanwhile, yet again its just another stick being used to beat the whole nations fanatic nutters have a gripe with since day one.

Scary if you're in Texas, but not so scary when you compare it to the number of easily wound-up Muslims in the world.

Billion Christians in the world and a billion Muslims. I'd be willing to bet that there is a slightly higher percentage of nutjobs in Islam. And that's mainly because the muslim demographic is poorer world wide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RainMaker wrote: »
    "The Truth is that arabs have nothing to offer others".

memri is neither a reliable or unbiased source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Billion Christians in the world and a billion Muslims. I'd be willing to bet that there is a slightly higher percentage of nutjobs in Islam. And that's mainly because the muslim demographic is poorer world wide.

It's not the % of nutjobs, it's the % of nutjobs that are prepared to kill people for beliefs worries me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Nodin wrote: »
    memri is neither a reliable or unbiased source.

Doesn't mean he's wrong!

There was a time when Islam did have something to show the world - maths, science, astronomy, philosophy, etc. The only thing Islamic countries have to offer the world now is Oil and cheap labour...

The trouble is that some of the poorer ones somehow make their way to more well-off countries but don't change their highly-strung primitive outlook on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pat Condell annoys me, but there is an element of truth to a few things he says. Muslims in large numbers get overly sensitive about depictions of their 'prophet', and when they respond in extreme violence - the only thing more telling, is the silence from the Muslim community with respect to the violent reactions and their failure to condemn the violent response. I can absolutely guarantee you that if you polled every single Muslim on the planet and ask them if someone should have the right to freedom of speech (which would include insulting their prophet), I'd be shocked in the majority said yes.

I have a Muslim-American friend on facebook, who when that Chick Fil-A thing arose, she posted a billion times on her facebook about "freedom of speech" in defence of the company. It was clearly a sneaky was of saying she opposes same-sex marriage. So when her prophet was insulted in a video, she changed from posting freedom of speech images - to images condemning those who insult her prophet.

Religion is horseshít, and so long as people keep it as a personal affair - I'm all for it. But when it tries to attack freedom of speech, or endanger the lives of innocent people - it must be challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rainmaker wrote:
    Doesn't mean he's wrong!...

No, it means they're deliberately misrepresenting.
    Rainmaker wrote:
    There was a time when Islam did have something to show the world - maths, science, astronomy, philosophy, etc. The only thing Islamic countries have to offer the world now is Oil and cheap labour...

When I was younger, china produced SFA but chinese people, and any footage of a chinese city showed streets full of bicycles with ne'er a car in sight. Things change.

Advertisement