Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest artist of all time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Aye but that doesn't mean you can't have discussion and debate on it. I think everyone here knows that there is no definitive answer to this but it doesn't mean you can't express an opinion on who you feel is the greatest.

I feel in that case that the question should probably be phrased as your favourite artist ever. My answer for that is either The Stone Roses or Bob Marley and the Wailers, however I wouldn't necessarily declare them to be the best ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Woody Guthrie, yo

• Registered Users Posts: 56,501 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I feel in that case that the question should probably be phrased as your favourite artist ever. My answer for that is either The Stone Roses or Bob Marley and the Wailers, however I wouldn't necessarily declare them to be the best ever.

Well, no, I don't think labelling the thread as a favourite artist is at all similar, or better.

I cannot change the thread title, but my OP explains what I was asking and wondering. Who from 1950 onwards in the world of music (pop/rock/rock n roll) had the biggest influence/impact. Not even who sold the most, although that is a factor I would imagine for many, just who was the most impactful/influential.

I would list Little Richard, Elvis, The Beatles, Madonna and Michael Jackson as very very notable! That's just 4 that I can think of off the top of my head. Ones that instantly spring to mind.

Others include Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, The Beach Boys, The Doors, Dr. Dre, Queen, Abba!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Reek_The_Meek

I'm not sure why this is just from 1950 onwards. For me, Robert Johnson was one of the most influential. With so few songs he still managed to reinvent music and had a hand in paving the way for basically everything that has come since, even if he did have a little help from ol' Beelzebub.

Since 1950 though I'd say Buddy Holly. He did the same for the electric guitar that Mr. Johnson did for the acoustic guitar. Or maybe The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

I'm a die hard Beatles nut, but my fellow fanatics seem to have gotten their points across pretty well already about how influential and great they were.

I cant believe the Beach Boys haven't been mentioned much though. Obviously they don't compare to the Beatles, but most of Pet Sounds in incredible (and btw an influence for Sgt. Pepper, which is without doubt the greatest album of all time imo). And it's difficult to explain in words how amazing Good Vibrations is.

Sgt. Pepper is imo the sort of style of music the Beatles were best at. I mean just the actual music on the title track (and in particular the reprise) is just phenomenal, and some growling yet tasteful bass from McCartney on all tracks makes the album stand out for me. But of course, its just an opinion too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Duhh, Michael Jackson. It's a no-brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Duhh, Richie Kavanagh. It's a no-brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Up there with Jimmy Savile in terms of showmanship…

I would agree that he really is a strong candidate. But, Elvis? That too a no brainer?

Hendrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

walshb wrote: »
    I would agree that he really is a strong candidate. But, Elvis? That too a no brainer?

Would that be the Elvis who never, ever in his life, wrote one of his own songs?

Would that be the Elvis who never, ever in his life, wrote one of his own songs?

Really? Still a great & influential artist, mind.

Or say Bob Dylan, who didn't have a note in his head. Music isn't all about writing. It's much more than that. Singing and vocal talent are most definitely part of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

R.E.M.

No I'd still say Michael Jackson is ten times better than Elvis. His choreography, execution, voice, vision and song-writing were better than Elvis' IMHO.

Up there with Jimmy Savile in terms of showmanship…

Oh a Michael Jackson was a pedophile joke? Hilarious.
    :pac:

Or say Bob Dylan, who didn't have a note in his head. Music isn't all about writing. It's much more than that. Singing and vocal talent are most definitely part of music.

I don't really get the whole 'Dylan can't sing' thing. He mightn't have the largest range but he knew how to wring the most meaning out of the words he wrote with his voice. Is that not the most important thing?

Mind you'll I'll concede his voice is shot to **** now but you got to love his voice on his classic albums.

Oh a Michael Jackson was a pedophile joke? Hilarious.
    :pac:

I was talking about their love of shiny clothes. Michael Jackson was a paedophile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't really get the whole 'Dylan can't sing' thing. He mightn't have the largest range but he knew how to wring the most meaning out of the words he wrote with his voice. Is that not the most important thing?

Mind you'll I'll concede his voice is shot to **** now but you got to love his voice on his classic albums.

I love Dylan's voice mainly due to exposure to it from the moment I was born pretty much (my Dad is a huge Dylan fan). I can kinda get why people who may not be too familiar with him might be put off at first. I think it might be an acquired taste! It is disappointing however when people just point blank refuse to give him a chance after a few lines of one song simply because he doesn't croon like Sinatra or something.

Dylan sang, but to me it was his writing that made him so impactful and influential. Elvis's stage presence, voice and delivery, charisma and range was what made him so impactful and influential. My main point was that writing and singing are two distinct talents. Elvis was a singer/entertainer; Dylan was a writer. Yes, he sang what he wrote, but he was a writer/storyteller first and foremost!

Now, some guys had it all. Like Freddie Mercury. Superb singer and quite a talented writer too, and an instrumentalist!

Michael Jackson was to me the greatest overall solo singer/entertainer in pop music history.

Dylan and Elvis were both hugely infleuntial. I would argue Elvis more so. As Lennon said: "Without Elvis there'd be nothin'."

• Advertisement

Dylan sang, but to me it was his writing that made him so impactful and influential. Elvis's stage presence, voice and delivery, charisma and range was what made him so impactful and influential. My main point was that writing and singing are two distinct talents. Elvis was a singer/entertainer; Dylan was a writer. Yes, he sang what he wrote, but he was a writer/storyteller first and foremost!

Now, some guys had it all. Like Freddie Mercury. Superb singer and quite a talented writer too, and an instrumentalist!

Michael Jackson was to me the greatest overall solo singer/entertainer in pop music history.

Dylan and Elvis were both hugely infleuntial. I would argue Elvis more so. As Lennon said: "Without Elvis there'd be nothin'."

But then it goes back to your original point - without Little Richard there'd have been no Elvis.

But then it goes back to your original point - without Little Richard there'd have been no Elvis.

Well, to me Little Richard was the most impactful and influential. I was simply arguing a legitimate case for Elvis. There is no definitive answer. I do know that even the great Elvis was quite a fan of Little Richard. The Beatles and many other greats point to Little Richard as a primary influence; it is one big reason as to why Little Richard gets my vote.

Elvis on Richard: "your music has inspired me—you are the greatest."

Wikipedia!

Well, to me Little Richard was the most impactful and influential. I was simply arguing a legitimate case for Elvis. There is no definitive answer. I do know that even the great Elvis was quite a fan of Little Richard. The Beatles and many other greats point to Little Richard as a primary influence; it is one big reason as to why Little Richard gets my vote.

Elvis on Ricahrd: "your music has inspired me—you are the greatest."

Wikipedia!

Maybe the most influential, but just because someone has had an impact on artists who came after them, doesn't mean that those who came after them didn't do it better. It's all subjective, I guess.

Maybe the most influential, but just because someone has had an impact on artists who came after them, doesn't mean that those who came after them didn't do it better. It's all subjective, I guess.

I agree. That is why my vote is just that, a vote.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But this is the whole problem with these arguments, and I agree with you.

Its all subjective, which I said in an earlier post.

And also, what definition do we apply to 'greatest'.

If you want to nominate Indian artists or musicians then thats your prerogative. The music world is so immense that there will never be one 'greatest' artist ever.

Bumped in light of the sad passing of Ravi Shankar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

regress wrote: »
    Springsteen.

Ah here, the fella is a bore! I can hardly tell one song apart from the next

Ah here, the fella is a bore! I can hardly tell one song apart from the next

You need a new set of ears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

No I'd still say Michael Jackson is ten times better than Elvis. His choreography, execution, voice, vision and song-writing were better than Elvis' IMHO.

Pretty sure Elvis had no talent for songwriting so no contest there. Credit where credits due also to Quincy Jones, Jacksons Producer. As well as Rod Temperton the main guy from Heatwave (Boogie Nights) who I believe wrote a lot of Thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Britney Spears. She is the best selling female of the 21st century and has influenced music in so many ways. She pioneered the revival of female singers and teen pop in the late 1990s and has since massively influenced practically every pop singer (especially female artists) of this decade. There isn't a single female singer in the charts nowadays that doesn't cite her as a major influence.
    "Blackout" was named one of the most influential albums of all time because once again with it she completely transformed the music scene, popularising dance pop and electropop. She became the first mainstream artist to use dubstep in "Hold It Against Me". She is also been voted as and referred to as the best performer of all time. Nobody can put on a show like her and those who desperately try (I'm looking at you Lady Gaga :P ) fail miserably.
    She was named by MTV as the biggest influence on music videos and received many lifetime achievement awards for her music.

• Advertisement

Geo10 wrote: »
    Britney Spears. She is the best selling female of the 21st century and has influenced music in so many ways. She pioneered the revival of female singers and teen pop in the late 1990s and has since massively influenced practically every pop singer (especially female artists) of this decade. There isn't a single female singer in the charts nowadays that doesn't cite her as a major influence.
    "Blackout" was named one of the most influential albums of all time because once again with it she completely transformed the music scene, popularising dance pop and electropop. She became the first mainstream artist to use dubstep in "Hold It Against Me". She is also been voted as and referred to as the best performer of all time. Nobody can put on a show like her and those who desperately try (I'm looking at you Lady Gaga :P ) fail miserably.
    She was named by MTV as the biggest influence on music videos and received many lifetime achievement awards for her music.

I don't doubt Britney's influence on pop music, particularly female popstars, and she's made a couple of great tunes in her day, but greatest artist ever? :confused:

Advertisement