Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest artist of all time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

lennon and mc cartney are recognised as two of the great song writers of the last 40-50 years, but one of my fav bands,steely dan, have in my opinion, the two best musicans and songwriters....messers becker and fagan, pure class and influential to so many other bands and artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Neil Young. 35 studio albums and still coming out with good stuff. Cant wait to see him next year in the RDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

lennon and mc cartney are recognised as two of the great song writers of the last 40-50 years, but one of my fav bands,steely dan, have in my opinion, the two best musicans and songwriters....messers becker and fagan, pure class and influential to so many other bands and artists.

Only started listening to them the other day. Loving Do It Again, will go from there I suppose. Liking the vibe of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

flyswatter wrote: »
    Only started listening to them the other day. Loving Do It Again, will go from there I suppose. Liking the vibe of them.

good to know you enjoy their music : ) first album i ever bought was "countdown to ectasy" in ..i think 1973, blew me away. they have a stack of "best of" cd,s out, if you are just discovering them, one of those double cd,s would be a great start. i seen them live here in 1997 on one of their rare tours, the memory will live with me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I don't doubt Britney's influence on pop music, particularly female popstars, and she's made a couple of great tunes in her day, but greatest artist ever? :confused:

In my opinion, yes. :) Obviously that is influenced by the fact that the only genre of music I listen to is pop (bar a few exceptions like Lana Del Rey who is more "alternative/ indie pop"- who by the way also cited Britney as one of her main influences despite the fact that her style and genre seems to be very different!) I'm not saying she "technically" has the greatest voice but to my ears she has the best singing voice I have ever heard, she is also a undeniably amazing dancer, performer and has even wrote/ co-wrote some massive songs. She wrote and composed "Everytime" for example. I can't name another artists who has had so many hits- Baby One More Time, Oops I Did It Again, I'm a Slave 4 U, Toxic, Gimme More, Womanizer, Hold It Against Me.. the list goes on and on :D On the Billboard Hot 100 she and Mariah Carey are the only artists to have had more than one number one debuts ( they both had 2- Britney's were 3 and Hold It Against Me) and Britney has had other hits rapidly jump to number one e.g. Womanizer went from 96 to 1 in a week (the biggest jump to number one ever). She has has more number one albums than any artist in the 21st century.
    In fact in 2001 Britney became the first female artist in history to have her first three albums debut at number one. She broke this record two years later with a fourth number one debut. With the number one debut of her Circus album in 2008, Britney also became the youngest female artist in history to have five number one albums. She later beat the record when her 7th studio album, Femme Fatale debuted at number one on April, 2011.
    With all these massive achievements you must also take Britney's age into account! She has records supposed "legends" 30-60 years older than her couldn't dream of! Given the sheer size of her fan base there is no doubt but that she is going to be around for decades and decades to come, where she will continue to shatter her own records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Robert Zimmerman.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the poet laureate of rock 'n' roll. The voice of the promise of the 60s counterculture. The guy who forced folk into bed with rock. Who donned makeup in the 70s and disappeared into a haze of substance abuse. Who emerged to find Jesus. Who was written off as a has-been by the end of the '80s, and who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s. Ladies and gentlemen — Columbia recording artist Bob Dylan![

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

old hippy wrote: »
    You need a new set of ears

Negative, Brucie gotta mix it up baby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Surprised nobody has mentioned Miles Davis. Not only is he widely regarded as the greatest jazz musician ever (though some Coltrane/Mingus fans might disagree) but his music was enormously influential well beyond the jazz scene, particularly his 1959 album Kind of Blue. People as diverse as Pink Floyd, Prince, The Who, James Brown & even the rapper Q-Tip have mentioned him as a influence &/or have produced work that owes much directly or indirectly to his music.

Oh also Britney has sold 100 million albums (not including singles!)

... whoops, my mistake...105! :P

Edit: I know popularity isn't a necessary indicator of how great of an artist you are but it certainly is a massive factor- so I thought I'd just add that Britney has been named the most searched person since the conception of the internet!! :D Plus she was the highest earning musician in 2012 despite not releasing any albums or touring at all this year!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Fleetwood Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Greatest artist/most influental artist, such a subjective opinion. The huge sellers like Jackson, the beatles, pink floyd, elvis etc,there can be no argument all quality artists.
    Then you have the likes lou reed, kraftwerk, joy division,sex pistols, all hugely influental without selling quite as many as the "superstars".
    For me ,Neil young, Pink Floyd and The Beatles i could listen to these 3 all day long and always hear something new in one of their tracks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Buddy Holly
    Dr dre
    Nirvana

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Greatest artist/most influental artist, such a subjective opinion. The huge sellers like Jackson, the beatles, pink floyd, elvis etc,there can be no argument all quality artists.
    Then you have the likes lou reed, kraftwerk, joy division,sex pistols, all hugely influental without selling quite as many as the "superstars".
    For me ,Neil young, Pink Floyd and The Beatles i could listen to these 3 all day long and always hear something new in one of their tracks. :D

I'm gutted - couldn't get tickets for Kraftwerk; all sold out and website kept crashing. A huge influence on Depeche Mode, New Order, Gary Numan, OMD and house and hip hop.

old hippy wrote: »
    I'm gutted - couldn't get tickets for Kraftwerk; all sold out and website kept crashing. A huge influence on Depeche Mode, New Order, Gary Numan, OMD and house and hip hop.

Saw them in France a few years ago - amazing visuals, very entertaining stuff. Even if you weren't a fan of electronic music you'd be blown away by the show they put on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Custardpi wrote: »
    Saw them in France a few years ago - amazing visuals, very entertaining stuff. Even if you weren't a fan of electronic music you'd be blown away by the show they put on.

Aaaarrrrgh. Deeply jealous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Also, Cocteau twins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

May be a bit of a cliche (sic?) but to me it's a tie between The Beatles and Michael Jackson for so many reasons, artistic approach, quality of songs, performances, videos, legacy, voice etc. Both taken too soon.

A Day In The Life blows anything of the era.

Listen to Billie Jean and then listen to anything else from 1982 (or prior).

slave1 wrote: »
    May be a bit of a cliche (sic?) but to me it's a tie between The Beatles and Michael Jackson for so many reasons, artistic approach, quality of songs, performances, videos, legacy, voice etc. Both taken too soon.

A Day In The Life blows anything of the era.

Listen to Billie Jean and then listen to anything else from 1982 (or prior).

To be fair I reckon Jackson was well past his prime when he died & had become far better known for his weirdness than his musical output. That said, Billy Jean, Thriller & Smooth Criminal will go down history as three of the best pop songs ever written. With regard to The Beatles maybe it's better that bands end too early rather than too soon. I love The Rolling Stones stuff from the 60s & 70s but they've pretty much been a nostalgia band for the last couple of decades, rarely releasing anything that comes close to their earlier stuff. If The Beatles had stayed together it's quite possible they would have suffered the same fate & we would have been deprived of such works of genius as Mind Games, Cold Turkey & The Frog Chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Geo10 wrote: »
    In my opinion, yes. :) Obviously that is influenced by the fact that the only genre of music I listen to is pop (bar a few exceptions like Lana Del Rey who is more "alternative/ indie pop"

No, Lana Del Rey is Pop. There is nothing alternative or independent about her music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I'm going to stick Eddie Vedder into the mix.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »

No, Lana Del Rey is Pop. There is nothing alternative or independent about her music.

Ok it just iTunes classifies her music as "alternative" and all the rest of my music as "pop". Also Wikipedia says her genre is "indie pop", "alternative" or "chamber pop".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

In my opinion, it has to be Johnny Cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Ok it just iTunes classifies her music as "alternative" and all the rest of my music as "pop". Also Wikipedia says her genre is "indie pop", "alternative" or "chamber pop".

Definitely not indie or alternative. She's as manufactured as any of them.

Definitely not indie or alternative. She's as manufactured as any of them.

I was just saying that's what iTunes and Wikipedia say. I don't care personally. In fact, I'd nearly rather iTunes started classifying her as "pop" because then she'd be in with all the other singers I like. I only like pop really. I'd say she's the only non-autotuned/ manufactured singer that's actually worth listening to IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Michael Jackson was exceptional at everything he put his mind to. Songwriting, dancing, singing, producing, choreographing. The ultimate all-rounder. I think even though his success was monumental it was well-earned and I'd certainly call him the greatest of all time.
    In my opinion, yes. :) Obviously that is influenced by the fact that the only genre of music I listen to is pop (bar a few exceptions like Lana Del Rey who is more "alternative/ indie pop"- who by the way also cited Britney as one of her main influences despite the fact that her style and genre seems to be very different!) I'm not saying she "technically" has the greatest voice but to my ears she has the best singing voice I have ever heard, she is also a undeniably amazing dancer, performer and has even wrote/ co-wrote some massive songs. She wrote and composed "Everytime" for example. I can't name another artists who has had so many hits- Baby One More Time, Oops I Did It Again, I'm a Slave 4 U, Toxic, Gimme More, Womanizer, Hold It Against Me.. the list goes on and on :D On the Billboard Hot 100 she and Mariah Carey are the only artists to have had more than one number one debuts ( they both had 2- Britney's were 3 and Hold It Against Me) and Britney has had other hits rapidly jump to number one e.g. Womanizer went from 96 to 1 in a week (the biggest jump to number one ever). She has has more number one albums than any artist in the 21st century.
    In fact in 2001 Britney became the first female artist in history to have her first three albums debut at number one. She broke this record two years later with a fourth number one debut. With the number one debut of her Circus album in 2008, Britney also became the youngest female artist in history to have five number one albums. She later beat the record when her 7th studio album, Femme Fatale debuted at number one on April, 2011.
    With all these massive achievements you must also take Britney's age into account! She has records supposed "legends" 30-60 years older than her couldn't dream of! Given the sheer size of her fan base there is no doubt but that she is going to be around for decades and decades to come, where she will continue to shatter her own records.

I'm sorry but I have to address this. I'm actually a huge fan of Britney's music but putting her out there as a suggestion for greatest artist of all time is fairly absurd. She's the ultimate example of a human being that has been used as a puppet her whole life by a big record label. She never wrote any of her own songs, she CO-wrote 'Everytime' and I'm very skeptical as to what sort of contribution was involved there. Her voice has a nice quality to it but she completely falls apart when trying to sing live. Any credit to the quality of her music since In the Zone can be attributed to the songwriters and producers who mould her sound. She hasn't done a good tour or music video since that era because she had a nervous breakdown, yet the people surrounding her keep pushing her to get stuff out every couple of years. She's so insecure with her success that she's blatantly fed her own lines through an earpiece on American X-Factor, and cringes whenever one of her music videos is shown on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Michael Jackson was exceptional at everything he put his mind to. Songwriting, dancing, singing, producing, choreographing. The ultimate all-rounder. I think even though his success was monumental it was well-earned and I'd certainly call him the greatest of all time.

I'm sorry but I have to address this. I'm actually a huge fan of Britney's music but putting her out there as a suggestion for greatest artist of all time is fairly absurd. She's the ultimate example of a human being that has been used as a puppet her whole life by a big record label. She never wrote any of her own songs, she CO-wrote 'Everytime' and I'm very skeptical as to what sort of contribution was involved there. Her voice has a nice quality to it but she completely falls apart when trying to sing live. Any credit to the quality of her music since In the Zone can be attributed to the songwriters and producers who mould her sound. She hasn't done a good tour or music video since that era because she had a nervous breakdown, yet the people surrounding her keep pushing her to get stuff out every couple of years. She's so insecure with her success that she's blatantly fed her own lines through an earpiece on American X-Factor, and cringes whenever one of her music videos is shown on the big screen.

Britney's a great pop star, but I'd struggle to even call her an artist. She has a distinctive voice, but it's very weak and her recent output sounds almost completely auto-tuned. When was the last time she ever sang live even?

The last decent record she put out, in my opinion, was Blackout. The entire sound of of that album though, like In the Zone, has to be attributed to the songwriters and producers. The quality of the production on Blackout is great, to the point where Britney sounds like a guest on her own album. The producers are the real stars. Granted, she knows how to pick a tune and she's good at getting the right people in to do the job, but the level of contribution from herself often sounds very minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The last decent record she put out, in my opinion, was Blackout. The entire sound of of that album though, like In the Zone, has to be attributed to the songwriters and producers. The quality of the production on Blackout is great, to the point where Britney sounds like a guest on her own album

Was Britney not the executive producer on that album?

karaokeman wrote: »
    Was Britney not the executive producer on that album?

Yeah you're right, she was! :)Some people should do their research first! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

*pedant: The Beatles are not "An Artist"

The thread clearly suggests an individual.

I'm going with Elvis Presley. I am not a fan, but for modern music he was the inspiration for most of your heroes from the 60s 70s, and second generation inspiration for the 80s-90s etc artists who were inspired by people Elvis inspired.

But who inspired Elvis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pom pom snaz peeler

Daniel!

Advertisement