Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question from a Christian on Islam

• 20-09-2012 7:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

If the Blessed Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon Him) is the last Prophet, then why did He say that Jesus is coming back to Earth?

Does Islam teach that other monotheistic religions will lead to Hell / Punishment, or does God decide whom to punish?

Is drinking beer / eating bacon considered blasphemous?

Is worshipping Jesus Christ counted as Shirk? (and hence a punishable offence in the afterlife).

According to Islam, did Jesus, himself claim to be God?

I may have more questions to come later, I was chatting to my Muslim friend who talked to me about Islam and the Blessed Prophet (PBUH).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

If the Blessed Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon Him) is the last Prophet, then why did He say that Jesus is coming back to Earth?

It is believed that Jesus will be back as Muslim
    Does Islam teach that other monotheistic religions will lead to Hell / Punishment, or does God decide whom to punish?
    God decide whom to punish
    Is drinking beer / eating bacon considered blasphemous?

drinking beer / eating bacon is not allowed in Islam
    Is worshipping Jesus Christ counted as Shirk? (and hence a punishable offence in the afterlife).
    Yes...
    According to Islam, did Jesus, himself claim to be God?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

Welcome
    May i ask u from where did u get your info on islam, u seem have made a good research :)
    mmalaka addressed your questions but want to add:
    Muslim scholars have given many different reasons for the return of Prophet Jesus عليه السلام to this World. A few are listed below:
    1) The Jews believe that they killed Prophet Jesus عليه السلام , Allah will send him before the end of time to prove that they did not killed him and that he is alive. It is Jesus who will fight the Jews and kill their leader, the Dajjal. (Ibn Hajar Al'Asqalani's Fathul-Bari)

2) Some scholars have said that Prophet Jesus عليه السلام found many virtues of the followers of Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم in the Bible and thus he prayed to Allah to make him amongst the nation of Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم . Allah answered his prayer and he will return for the second time as one of the followers of Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم . (Ibn Khathir)

3) It is the Law of Allah that anything created from the Earth has to be buried in the Earth and not in the Heavens. Thus he will return to the Earth for the second time, kill the Dajjal, live for a period of time and then he will die a natural death and will be buried near the Prophet Mohammad صلى الله عليه وسلم . (Muhammad Al-Barzanji's book Al-Isha'ah li Ashrat AsSaa'h).

Prophet Jesus عليه السلام will have three main tasks, is his second coming to Earth:
    1) The first and most important will be that he will destroy the Dajjal.
    2) Protect the Muslims from the barbaric nations of Yajuj and Majuj (Gog & MaGog) by taking them to Mount Tur and then praying to Allah to make Yajuj and Majuj perish.
    3) Reign as a Caliph according to the Quran and Sunnah and elevate Islam.

http://www.discoveringislam.org/return_of_jesus.htm

The pillars of faith are:

Belief in Allah;

Belief in the angels;

Belief in ALL revealed books;

Belief in ALL commissioned Messengers (peace be upon them).

Belief in the resurrection and the events of Qiyamah.

Belief in the predestination by Allah of all things, both the (seemingly) good and the (seemingly) bad.
    http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/sixpillarsiman.htm

According to quran( 4:150-152)
    Indeed, those who disbelieve in Allah and His messengers and wish to discriminate between Allah and His messengers and say, "We believe in some and disbelieve in others," and wish to adopt a way in between -
    Those are the disbelievers, truly. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.
    But they who believe in Allah and His messengers and do not discriminate between any of them - to those He is going to give their rewards. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

whydoc wrote: »
    And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.

Just out of curiosity, what is the "humiliating punishment" that I should expect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

A humiliating punishment yet Allah is merciful. A very narcissistic God who wants everyone groveling too him and punishes those who don't,what a deranged guy.

Freiheit wrote: »
    A humiliating punishment yet Allah is merciful. A very narcissistic God who wants everyone groveling too him and punishes those who don't,what a deranged guy.
    Don't forget ever forgiving. Although he has a punishment for those who he chooses to not forgive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

shizz wrote: »
    Don't forget ever forgiving. Although he has a punishment for those who he chooses to not forgive...

Guys, knock it off. You both know the rules. You can come in here and ask questions but it is not on to purely post in order to have a go at Islam or attack people's beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

As a Christian I can not speak for Islam. But from what my Muslim friend told me God is most wise, most merciful and has simple rules set down. If you break them, you can repent and Allah will forgive you. All you have to do is follow the pillars of Islam and the words of the Prophets (Peace and Blessings be Upon them all). God's rules may be incomprehensible to us now, but there is wisdom in them and questioning them is not for a human being to decide.

Guys, knock it off. You both know the rules. You can come in here and ask questions but it is not on to purely post in order to have a go at Islam or attack people's beliefs.

Apologies. Although I feel these things should regularly be pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

shizz wrote: »
    Apologies. Although I feel these things should regularly be pointed out.

Although you were pointing them out in a very inflammatory way. If you are genuinely curious about Islam and the teachings (and if you genuinely find an "inconsistency" or "contradiction" in teachings) and you would like information on the Holy Qur'an, then by all means post a thread and I'm sure our Muslims friends will be happy to help, but there's no need for those snide remarks.

Although you were pointing them out in a very inflammatory way. If you are genuinely curious about Islam and the teachings (and if you genuinely find an "inconsistency" or "contradiction" in teachings) and you would like information on the Holy Qur'an, then by all means post a thread and I'm sure our Muslims friends will be happy to help, but there's no need for those snide remarks.

I completely understand. I was originally looking at this thread due to curiosity of the muslim religion, but when I seen of the "humiliating punishment" I would be subjected too because of what I don't believe in, due largely to where I was born being honest, I felt that to be quite a disrespectful way of thinking of people with differing beliefs to yours.

To fully, without a shred of disbelief, believe that your fellow man, who has done nothing apart from disbelieve or believe in a different type of religion, will be subjected to a horrific "eternity" and for that person to have no problem with it, in-fact is probably happy about it, truly sickens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

1) The Jews believe that they killed Prophet Jesus عليه السلام , Allah will send him before the end of time to prove that they did not killed him and that he is alive. It is Jesus who will fight the Jews and kill their leader, the Dajjal. (Ibn Hajar Al'Asqalani's Fathul-Bari)
    You get one warning about this. This comment can be interpreted as being in contravention of the "Defamation Act 2009 of the Republic of Ireland" It is also unacceptable here at Boards ie. I would prefer not to see this type of comment again. Next time this type of comment is seen from any poster it will result in a permanent ban for that poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

It is Jesus who will fight the Jews and kill their leader, the Dajjal. (Ibn Hajar Al'Asqalani's Fathul-Bari)

Is this a mainstream belief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I think that the way whydoc expresses things misrepresents mainstream Muslim views. The Dajjal (the false messiah) is regarded in most Sunni Muslim thought as a person who leads the armies of non-believers (who would include but certainly would not be limited to those members of specific faiths who personally reject Islam), and who is defeated by the prophet Isa, usually identified as Jesus.

Some heterodox sects of Islam treat the various sayings about the Dajjal as metaphorical, and regard "the Dajjal" as referring to western civilisation, both in its Judaeo-Christian and its more secular manifestations.

Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified (we discussed this recently in the thread Crucifixion or Crucifiction?), although the relevant passage in the Qur'an (Surah al-Nisaa 4:157) suggests that the Jews claim (wrongly) to have crucified Jesus.

hivizman wrote: »
    I think that the way whydoc expresses things misrepresents mainstream Muslim views. The Dajjal (the false messiah) is regarded in most Sunni Muslim thought as a person who leads the armies of non-believers (who would include but certainly would not be limited to those members of specific faiths who personally reject Islam), and who is defeated by the prophet Isa, usually identified as Jesus.

Some heterodox sects of Islam treat the various sayings about the Dajjal as metaphorical, and regard "the Dajjal" as referring to western civilisation, both in its Judaeo-Christian and its more secular manifestations.

Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified (we discussed this recently in the thread Crucifixion or Crucifiction?), although the relevant passage in the Qur'an (Surah al-Nisaa 4:157) suggests that the Jews claim (wrongly) to have crucified Jesus.

So the Quaran etc and by extension mainstream Islam, does not actually identify Jews specifically in relation to this, correct?

JimiTime wrote: »
    So the Quran etc and by extension mainstream Islam, does not actually identify Jews specifically in relation to this, correct?

By "this", do you mean what goes on between Jesus and the Dajjal or do you mean claims about the Crucifixion? Let's take the latter claims first. The verse in Surah al-Nisaa about the claims being made regarding the killing of Jesus comes in a passage that begins on verse 153 with a reference to "ahl ul-kitab", the "people of the Book", and commentators have consistently identified the "people of the Book", in this passage, as referring to the Jews. However, the passage does not specifically refer to "the Jews". In verse 160, the Qur'an refers to "the wrongdoings of the Jews", so it is not unreasonable for commentators to suggest that the previous few verses also refer to the Jews.

I don't think that there is anything in the Qur'an specifically on al-Dajjal - the relevant references are all in hadiths. Unfortunately, hadiths are not always reliable, and so scholars try not to put too much weight on individual hadiths, unless they are very well attested. There is a hadith reported by Muslim, one of the canonical collections of hadiths, that reads: "Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The Dajjal would be followed by seventy thousand Jews of Isfahan wearing Persian shawls" (Muslim, Book 41, Number 7034), but this is quite an isolated reference. Extreme interpreters often emphasise hadiths such as this whereas mainstream interpreters treat them with great caution. As far as I am aware, those mainstream interpreters who study the "last days" (and this is in itself a minority interest) do not specifically identify "the Jews" as the army of the Dajjal. I'm not at home at present, but I shall check further when I have access to my books.

hivizman wrote: »
    By "this", do you mean what goes on between Jesus and the Dajjal or do you mean claims about the Crucifixion? Let's take the latter claims first. The verse in Surah al-Nisaa about the claims being made regarding the killing of Jesus comes in a passage that begins on verse 153 with a reference to "ahl ul-kitab", the "people of the Book", and commentators have consistently identified the "people of the Book", in this passage, as referring to the Jews. However, the passage does not specifically refer to "the Jews". In verse 160, the Qur'an refers to "the wrongdoings of the Jews", so it is not unreasonable for commentators to suggest that the previous few verses also refer to the Jews.

I don't think that there is anything in the Qur'an specifically on al-Dajjal - the relevant references are all in hadiths. Unfortunately, hadiths are not always reliable, and so scholars try not to put too much weight on individual hadiths, unless they are very well attested. There is a hadith reported by Muslim, one of the canonical collections of hadiths, that reads: "Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The Dajjal would be followed by seventy thousand Jews of Isfahan wearing Persian shawls" (Muslim, Book 41, Number 7034), but this is quite an isolated reference. Extreme interpreters often emphasise hadiths such as this whereas mainstream interpreters treat them with great caution. As far as I am aware, those mainstream interpreters who study the "last days" (and this is in itself a minority interest) do not specifically identify "the Jews" as the army of the Dajjal. I'm not at home at present, but I shall check further when I have access to my books.

Thanks hivizman. My question more pertains to the picking out of the Jews as the people Jesus will come back to destroy.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Thanks hivizman. My question more pertains to the picking out of the Jews as the people Jesus will come back to destroy.

I've now been able to refer to one of my books at home. This is The End of the World: Signs of the Hour, Major and Minor by Dr Muhammad al-'Areefi (published by Darussalam, a Saudi-based publishing house, in 2010). The book sets out what I would characterise as a "Salafi" view of the "last days".

This book contains a long chapter on the Dajjal. This book quotes extensively from the hadith literature, including (on page 295) the hadith reported in Muslim's collection that I quoted in my earlier post about "70,000 Jews from Isfahan wearing Persian shawls" (the book insinuates that the hadith is referring to the Jewish prayer shawl or tallit). Later on, the book mentions that "the one who kills the Dajjal will be 'Isa bin Maryam", and then suggests (page 309) that, at this point in time, the Dajjal will be accompanied by 70,000 Jews, who are now apparently wearing "greenish cloaks". It is, I think, significant that none of this involves direct quotation from specific hadiths, suggesting that the author of the book is repeating the views of later commentators rather than original authorities. On page 310, the author cites the hadith collection Al-Mustadrak, compiled by Al-Hakim al-Nishaburi around 400AH (c. 1000CE), but subsequent commentators have questioned the authenticity of as many as half of the hadiths reported in this collection.

However, a somewhat edited version of this story is included in Yahiya Emerick's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam (2nd ed.: Alpha Books, 2004). Emerick tells of Jesus leading an army of Muslims against the Dajjal's army, and he notes that "The Dajjal's soldiers will number 70,000" - Emerick does not, interestingly, identify these soldiers as Jews, which may suggest some embarrassment on his part with the story as told by other Muslims. Other introductions to Islam that mention the Dajjal at all tend to identify him with the Antichrist of Christian eschatology and not go into detail about the "last days". Note also that Shi'a tradition has the Dajjal being killed by the Mahdi rather than by Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

mmalaka wrote: »
    drinking beer
    No

Just wondering why?

Is it a direct quote forbiding, and if so, from whom? All alcohol is banned correct?

Just wondering as Jesus made wine and in the Old Testament there is the quote "Take a glass of wine a day..."

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

FISMA wrote: »
    Just wondering why?

Is it a direct quote forbiding, and if so, from whom? All alcohol is banned correct?

Just wondering as Jesus made wine and in the Old Testament there is the quote "Take a glass of wine a day..."

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.
    The word alcohol is derived from the Arabic word al-kohl الكحول, which means fermented grains, fruits, or sugars that form an intoxicating beverage when fermented.
    Khamr خمر or khamrah is the word used in the Qur'an to denote a fermented beverage that intoxicates a person when he/she drinks it. It is sometimes translated as "wine."

Khamr is prohibited in islam according to this ayat:
    http://quran.com/5/90-92

This topic gives more details:
    http://www.quranandscience.com/legislative/217-alcohol-in-islam.html

This is from Islamic perspective, and you are welcome :)

Edit:

regarding the bible and Jesus Christ,
    Dr Bilal Philips from "The True Message of Jesus Christ"
    Alcohol
    Jesus consecrated himself to God and therefore abstained from alcoholic drinks according to the instructions recorded in Numbers 6:1-4: “And the Lord said to Moses, 2‘Say to the people of Israel, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of the Nazirite,[144] to separate himself to the Lord, 3he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink, and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried. 4All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins.

In the Qur’aan, Chapter al-Maa’idah (5):90, Allaah prohibits intoxicants irrevocably.

} يَأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ إِنَّمَا الْخَمْرُ وَالْمَيْسِرُ وَاْلأَنْصَابُ وَاْلأَزْلاَمُ رِجْسٌ مِنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ فَاجْتَنِبُوهُ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ {
    “O you who believe, intoxicants, gambling, sacrificial altars, and divination are an abomination of Satan’s handiwork, so avoid them in order to be successful.”

As to the ‘miracle of turning water into wine’,[145] it is found only in the Gospel of John, which consistently contradicts the other three gospels.
    and similar question answered here:
    http://islamnewsroom.com/news-we-need/379-jesus1

And this is a trinitarian site talking about The “Jesus Drank Wine” Lie
    http://www.johnhamelministries.org/wine_lie_Jesus.htm

Advertisement