Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White only taxi drivers need get in line in Dublin

• 20-09-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

I haven't been using taxis lately and I know there has been a few threads about Dublin taxi drivers (the yob variety), BUT I could not believe what I saw last night in Grand Canal Dock.

A black tax driver was trying to pull up to pick up a fare outside one of the office blocks and a security guard lifted what looked like a poker and started whielding it at the taxi. Then when we came outside later to get a taxi I noticed that the rank was manned by all white taxi men and it was apparent that this was a white only rank too!

I am sickened at this. I Googled 'Dublin Taxi Drivers' and found some articles and blogs talking about the fact that many of the taxi ranks are completely monopolised by these brutes. OMG, this is shameful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's not that they're racist against the blacks being taximen.
    They're pissed off because it's so easy to get a plate now. That and they're a bunch of selling and buying under the counter of taxi plates so half the time that nice taxi driver that lost a fare to the white one probably has no clue where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

There's loads of black Taxis in London, so that probably balances things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's literally worse than the apartheid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Just saying though you don't know if anything happened between them previously your just assuming

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Are you sure he was black and not just really, really, really, really, really dark blue?

• Advertisement

samina wrote: »
    Just saying though you don't know if anything happened between them previously your just assuming

Well yeah, there are taxi ranks that are deemed "white" only. But sure it's mostly a foreign thing. They don't like Polish doing it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Who pays the security mans wages?

Is he a taximan taking a few hours off to watch for his comrades?

Do they take turns monitoring the rank?

CageWager wrote: »
    Are you sure he was black and not just really, really, really, really, really dark blue?

How the feck is a smurf going to drive a taxi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So thats why we learned about na fir gorm in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Racist Taxi driver. Yeah right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

They're pissed off because it's so easy to get a plate now. That and they're a bunch of selling and buying under the counter of taxi plates so half the time that nice taxi driver that lost a fare to the white one probably has no clue where you live.

... and is very, very likely to be on a State-funded "enterprise scheme" allowing them to set up as a taximan whilst keeping their State benefits for up to three years!

How the feck is a smurf going to drive a taxi?
    Never heard of Cabbie Smurf? He was gas - a raging xenophobe with an opinion on anything and everything - he was my fave. Him and Sexy Smurf..but she was fairly blue tbf.

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    ... and is very, very likely to be on a State-funded "enterprise scheme" allowing them to set up as a taximan whilst keeping their State benefits for up to three years!

Which isn't as bad as the local delivery man that's on the dole, working (without admitting it) and won't pay child support because he's too poor being on the dole?

You'd need to be registered for that. The problem is that (and it Irish people too that're doing it) is that the plates aren't registered to the current person. A lot of people aren't working for a firm because of that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

PapaQuebec wrote: »

... and is very, very likely to be on a State-funded "enterprise scheme" allowing them to set up as a taximan whilst keeping their Stae benefits for up to three years!

And will not take you if your going to an area they deem unsafe ie the north side of the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

If half taxi drives have no clue where you live as you claim, then that is something to do with the Taxi System (Organisation) and not the Taxi-Ranks!

Having taxi ranks for white people and not blacks is purely generalisation!. and its totally unacceptable in this modern society!..

I have been with loads and loads of black taxi drivers that know exactly where I live. how about that?

I have also been with some "white" taxi drivers that have no clue to where I live and how about that too?

I dont know why most Irish as so racist despite the fact that millions of them "mass" emigrated to America just like other nationalities here in Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

From the sounds of your story there is a taxi rank in the vicinity and a taxi driver pulls up trying to get a fare without bothering to wait his place in the queue at the rank. I don't think the colour of the taxi driver is an issue but the fact that this particular taxi driver was being a queue jumping idiot and if the queue jumping taxi driver was white and all the other black then I am sure the exact same thing would have happened.

Me personally I prefer Irish homegrown taxi drivers, not for their charm or wit but because they know where they are going and don't have to rely on a satnav to get them there costing me more on a roundabout convoluted routing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Which isn't as bad as the local delivery man that's on the dole, working (without admitting it) and won't pay child support because he's too poor being on the dole?

You'd need to be registered for that. The problem is that (and it Irish people too that're doing it) is that the plates aren't registered to the current person. A lot of people aren't working for a firm because of that reason.

I only posted because I handle IT Support for many businesses in the Greater Dublin area - one of them being one of the capital's largest taxi companies. One of the partners told me that 80% of the African drivers who apply for work are on such schemes, yet he sees almost no-one from Ireland (or Europe generally) in the same position!

If half taxi drives have no clue where you live as you claim, then that is something to do with the Taxi System (Organisation) and not the Taxi-Ranks!

Having taxi ranks for white people and not blacks is purely generalisation!. and its totally unacceptable in this modern society!..

I have been with loads and loads of black taxi drivers that know exactly where I live. how about that?

I have also been with some "white" taxi drivers that have no clue to where I live and how about that too?

I dont know why most Irish as so racist despite the fact that millions of them "mass" emigrated to America just like other nationalities here in Ireland!

I didn't say half of them. I said half the time.
    It's not white/black divide. It's a "not Irish so feck off" issue.
    I know plenty of blacks that gave me a lift too that knew where I lived. I knew whites that gave me a lift and couldn't find they're way around anything.

Off topic but we were treated like rubbish in America for a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Having taxi ranks for white people and not blacks is purely generalisation!
    I dont know why most Irish as so racist...
    Just thought I'd pick these two sentences from your post.

See what you've done there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

I get a distinct sense of PC here. What if the rank was manned by all black taxi men? Would the OP be on here giving out if that were the case? Somehow I doubt it.

Personally, and while I am not a racist, if I had a choice bewteen a black and a white taxi man and all other things being equal I would probably go for the white one. At the very least you could probably have a decent conversation with the native fella as he'd know the place and everthing. I doubt you could have the same level of normal "Dub conversation" with a Congolese man in fainess. ie who would be more likely to want to chat about the hurling or the soccer match and rant about the gubberment. I doubt you would get the smae from a blaxi.

I have nothing against blacks per se, I would just prefer a white driver. Surely I shoudl be entitled to choose which taxi i go home in without being called racist because I have nothing in particular against them

• Advertisement

I get a distinct sense of PC here. What if the rank was manned by all black taxi men? Would the OP be on here giving out if that were the case? Somehow I doubt it.

Personally, and while I am not a racist, if I had a choice bewteen a black and a white taxi man and all other things being equal I would probably go for the white one. At the very least you could probably have a decent conversation with the native fella as he'd know the place and everthing. I doubt you could have the same level of normal "Dub conversation" with a Congolese man in fainess. ie who would be more likely to want to chat about the hurling or the soccer match and rant about the gubberment. I doubt you would get the smae from a blaxi.

Two things.
    Firstly: a security guard picked up (what the OP thought is) a weapon and swung it at the taximan.

And secondly: you can be white or black and be Irish. But yes, I would agree that most people would prefer someone who was used to living in Dublin for many years.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Just thought I'd pick these two sentences from your post.

See what you've done there?

El Weirdo, the first statement you highlighted simply points out what generalisation is.

The second statement is not in any way shape or form a generalisation to Irish people as I used "Most".. And purely based on experience, that is a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...and while I am not a racist...
    Didn't take long.
    El Weirdo, the first statement you highlighted simply points out what generalisation is.

The second statement is not in any way shape or form a generalisation to Irish people as I used "Most".. And purely based on experience, that is a fact
    Your experience doesn't make it "fact".

you never know what you might catch from them, Mildred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Theres an old taxi tradition in dublin where you get on a rank . Some ranks your da or brother or something gives up his place for you . If your not a known rank member usually you get skipped . As far as I know northside SC is one of them . That taxi driver was prob barred from working out of the hotel because he was trouble before. Its not a race thing .
    Op you seen the colour maybe you are the one who judgges things by colour .

Two things.
    Firstly: a security guard picked up (what the OP thought is) a weapon and swung it at the taximan.

And secondly: you can be white or black and be Irish. But yes, I would agree that most people would prefer someone who was used to living in Dublin for many years.

How would you know if a black taxi driver has not been living here for many years? Most of them that I knew have been living here for more than 7 years on average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Stinicker wrote: »
    From the sounds of your story there is a taxi rank in the vicinity and a taxi driver pulls up trying to get a fare without bothering to wait his place in the queue at the rank. I don't think the colour of the taxi driver is an issue but the fact that this particular taxi driver was being a queue jumping idiot and if the queue jumping taxi driver was white and all the other black then I am sure the exact same thing would have happened.

Me personally I prefer Irish homegrown taxi drivers, not for their charm or wit but because they know where they are going and don't have to rely on a satnav to get them there costing me more on a roundabout convoluted routing.

Well said, I completely agree. I hate when racism is brought into things when it does sound like he was queue jumping, learn some manners then come back and join the end.
    Off topic but we were treated like rubbish in America for a long, long time.

True, you have to earn peoples respect and not just expect it handed on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

op are you a racist against whites

How would you know if a black taxi driver has not been living here for many years? Most of them that I knew have been living here for more than 7 years on average

That was my point...

The problem that the majority of taximen have is that you have non Irish people coming over who don't know their way around and just getting some plates off a friend for a few grand and that's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

a blaxi.

I bet some windowlicker spent weeks coming up with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Wont use taxis that sit on ranks, look at the thuggery on sackville place and o connell street.
    Blocking ranks and holding places.
    They can feck off ioth their cartel

Pottler wrote: »
    There's loads of black Taxis in London, so that probably balances things out.

London is in the UK and Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland. Ofcourse it doesn't balance out in any way as those cities are two different countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

I hate the denial of Racism in Ireland and the lack of will to deal with it. The man has rights . The excuses are a disgrace. Taxi drivers often feel the need to deliver racist rants mid-tansit about everyone. Polish Black people etc.

'We have people immigrating they should all give upp their jobs and their houses'..IT IS RIDICULOUS we have youngpeople going abroad having to deal with being foreign and taking jobs often very well paid ones away from others and i hope they get a more sophisticated and generous welcome.

We have people immigrating to coutries where i am sure they meet the same attitude, these people are the same that give us a hard time. Talk about hypocracy. We expect the worl to accept our immigrants. Well that mmeans we must accept people without racism.

It is time the govt put an end to racist attitudes.

Awesome-O wrote: »
    Well said, I completely agree. I hate when racism is brought into things when it does sound like he was queue jumping, learn some manners then come back and join the end.

True, you have to earn peoples respect and just expect it handed on a plate.
    All at the same time? Sounds complicated. Taxi'ing was always cliquey, if they were not busy shunning "newcomers" of some sort or another, they'd be bored stupid. It sort of goes with the territory, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I have nothing against blacks per se, I would just prefer a white driver. Surely I shoudl be entitled to choose which taxi i go home in without being called racist because I have nothing in particular against them

wow

• Advertisement

London is in the UK and Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland. Ofcourse it doesn't balance out in any way as those cities are two different countries!

I think it was meant as a light-hearted joke, Why do people have to get so serious over things?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Chinasea wrote: »
    I haven't been using taxis lately and I know there has been a few threads about Dublin taxi drivers (the yob variety), BUT I could not believe what I saw last night in Grand Canal Dock.

A black tax driver was trying to pull up to pick up a fare outside one of the office blocks and a security guard lifted what looked like a poker and started whielding it at the taxi. Then when we came outside later to get a taxi I noticed that the rank was manned by all white taxi men and it was apparent that this was a white only rank too!

I am sickened at this. I Googled 'Dublin Taxi Drivers' and found some articles and blogs talking about the fact that many of the taxi ranks are completely monopolised by these brutes. OMG, this is shameful.

Just to be clear - you say "A black tax driver was trying to pull up to pick up a fare outside one of the office blocks"

Was there an official rank there?
    I ask this because you then mention: "we came outside later to get a taxi I noticed that the rank was manned by all white taxi men"

1. Did you come out of the same offices as the security guard?
    2. Did you move from the area outside the offices TO the taxi rank - which by timing, was at that time filled with what appeared to you just white men?
    3. Was there an official taxi rank outside the offices?
    4. Was it a taxi or a hackney?

Pottler wrote: »
    All at the same time? Sounds complicated. Taxi'ing was always cliquey, if they were not busy shunning "newcomers" of some sort or another, they'd be bored stupid. It sort of goes with the territory, to be honest.

Sorry meant to say "NOT just expect it handed on a plate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

I'm not sure about the racial aspects of the taxi business so I'm not going to speak on them but what I can tell you is that the industry in general is rotten to the core. If you were to signal a cab in the past, the driver would ask you where you were going and if he didn't particularly fancy traveling in that general direction, he wouldn't take you. It was a monopoly.

Enter deregulation - there are more taxi's on our streets than ever before. And with competition comes service. My opinion is that the industry is not deregulated enough. Why is it that a taxi driver needs to spend serious amounts of money to purchase a taxi license? Does this piece of paper, somehow bestow upon him from God (or in this case, the sacrosanctity of government) a knowledge of geography and the science of participating on a road unrivaled by the common man?

Why is it that a taxi driver needs to spend 450E annually to attend a taxi rank at certain locations? Because if you charge a fee for this, then the driver is going to pass it off onto his customers. Why is there no market in simply picking someone up on the street and bringing them to their required destination for a mutually agreed upon fare?

Bullshit is what it is.

You're wrong Michelle, you having no sense of humour and another person in the next room having one does balance out - it's a known fact. It's called See-Saws Second law. You should google it. Oh, and the other poster may not in fact really be Mildred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I bet some windowlicker spent weeks coming up with that one.

That's handicapedist!

Personally, and while I am not a racist, if I had a choice bewteen a black and a white taxi man and all other things being equal I would probably go for the white one.

If only the comma there was a "but" I would've got racist thread bingo.

As for having better chats with white taxi drivers I find that constantly giving out about other taxi drivers doesn't entertain me massively while plenty of blacks and whites are perfectly capable of talking about football and the weather.

Well yeah, there are taxi ranks that are deemed "white" only. But sure it's mostly a foreign thing. They don't like Polish doing it either.

And is that just and fair? Would you like Irish people to be treated differently in order country simply cos Irish are foreign people?

Do you really know what discrimination is?

And is that just and fair? Would you like Irish people to be treated differently in order country simply cos Irish are foreign people?

Do you really know what discrimination is?

Will you either stop shoving words in my mouth or else take a look back at what I'm posting?

I hate the denial of Racism in Ireland and the lack of will to deal with it. The man has rights . The excuses are a disgrace. Taxi drivers often feel the need to deliver racist rants mid-tansit about everyone. Polish Black people etc.

'We have people immigrating they should all give upp their jobs and their houses'..IT IS RIDICULOUS we have youngpeople going abroad having to deal with being foreign and taking jobs often very well paid ones away from others and i hope they get a more sophisticated and generous welcome.

We have people immigrating to coutries where i am sure they meet the same attitude, these people are the same that give us a hard time. Talk about hypocracy. We expect the worl to accept our immigrants. Well that mmeans we must accept people without racism.

It is time the govt put an end to racist attitudes.

Couldnt have said it any better myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is there a skill shortage in the taxi industry that so many African and Aisan people have gotten licences?

Two things.

Can you google what xenophobe is and get back to me? Your comment just sounded exactly like one.

Couldnt have said it any better myself
    I agree. You probably couldn't.

Can you google what xenophobe is ang get back to me? Your comment just sounded exactly like one.

In what way did my comment sound xenophobic?

Awesome-O wrote: »
    I think it was meant as a light-hearted joke, Why do people have to get so serious over things?!

It was a joke? I hope you dont need the Mod to tell you that you need to stick to the point. You can look for a funny forum and joke around all you want. This is serious

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement